[Archive] Immortal look

Ghrask Dragh:

I like the idea of armour to protect the beard :slight_smile: got thier priorities right!

I would think Immortals had Longbeards (veteren dwarfs) with the chainmail armour to protect it, heavy and intricate armour made from obsidian and granite and treated like space marines treat theirs in their fluff, big double-handed axe, fearce looking masks for intimidation and maybe a few grenades strapped around their waists.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

IMO Immortals should be going right into the thick of the fighting, not throw grenades from afar like sneaky hobgoblins. I would think they are the walking tanks of the Chaos Dwarf army (next to, of course, the real walking tank, i.e. the Kollossus :)).

Willmark:

Agreed. What I want to know is why does seemingly everyone seem to think that immortals need gernades? Was it in 300 or something?

Ghrask Dragh:

Itā€™s just a cool idea, being the elite they have the best weapons Chaos Dwarfs can offer, thay also have big axes for the hand-to-hand.

Theory_Man:

Agreed. What I want to know is why does seemingly everyone seem to think that immortals need gernades? Was it in 300 or something?

Willmark
seemingly everyone?

It was not because of 300 that I would what immortals to be grenadiers. Historically grenadiers would be elite troops and grenadiers are known to wear tall hats.

But if you are basing immortals purely off of "Grudge-Bearer", then yes, grenadiers would not fit.

I still think having chaos dwarf grenadiers would be cool. Perhaps call them "The Old Guard" or something like that.

In "Grudge-Bearer", could they just be referring to chaos dwarf infantry as immortals?

Willmark:

Well aware of the historical conotations and troop type of grenadiers. I was merely trying to figure out where it was coming from in relation to CDs.

For CDs create some demonic gernades! That would be cool. Not sure who you give them to thou.

Rakmial:

Oops! Forgive my ignorance. I assumed theyā€™d be LIKE persian immortals if theyre named after them. . .

51la5:

Grenadiers would be cool but I think immortals should be the walking death machine coved from head to toe in armor with a huge two handed axe.

Ghrask Dragh:

A good technique for painting for Granite Armourā€¦

Nazhur:

Those minaitures actually looks very much like I picture Immortals except of course shorter, more beard and also a hat on top :wink:

Kera foehunter:

wow i wish i could paint like that!!

AGPO:

I think everyone around these parts has seen 300 one too many times.

Willmark
Couldn't agree with you more Wilmark - I saw it once.

In my opinion Immortals should be based on Persian Immortals in the same way the rest of the CDs are based on Persians - I.e. Simmilar in some ways but with a healthy dose of Fantasy Dwarf and Chaosiness injected in for good measure.

Grimstonefire:

@Ghrask

What is that model and where is it from? Canā€™t seem to find it on Wargames Workshop.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

@Ghrask

What is that model and where is it from?  Can't seem to find it on Wargames Workshop.

Grimstonefire
the models are from, privateer press - hordes - skorne - immortals

Ghrask Dragh:

Grimstoneā€™- they are Immortals, in the Skorne section of the Hordes miniatures (page 3)ā€¦

http://www.wargamesworkshop.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?CatID=5&DivID=84&GrpID=427

:cheers

Kera foehunter:

thanks Gharsk for the link .There are other cool stuff like the trollbloods .

Ghrask Dragh:

thanks Gharsk for the link .There are other cool stuff like the trollbloods .

Kera

:cheers

Privateer press do some really cool miniatures, felix (avatars of war) sculpted some of the trollblood mini's!

I like the oversized armour on some of the skorne models, would be good for immortals if GW style wasn't so 'straight edge' ,if you know what mean.

http://www.privateerpress.com

Canix:

Cheers guys all this talk of immotrals in granite armour has given me the inspiration for my marauders ,ie.granite armour so i can use in my Chaos dwarf army as Immortals and in the counts as dwarf army of course:)

Heavy granite armour and two handed wpns are my idea of chaos dwarf Immortals .The persians are very different in style only the beards being CD like they used bows in Xerxes and Dariusā€™s times and Where elite horse units in late archaemenid persian periods!

Only painted scenery granite before so sounds like a challange lol:hat

AGPO:

Your forgetting the religious links - fire, bulls and such. Also note the Lammasu. Iā€™m pretty sure the Egyptian army didnā€™t consist of the living dead but you wouldnā€™t deny Khemri are based on them. None of the Scandinavians Iā€™ve met have tentacles or claw arms at any rate and Iā€™m not sure they had full plate either

Willmark:

I think its safe to say that everyone here likes Immortals.