[Archive] Khan!'s army thread updated July 13, with new and exciting things!

Kera foehunter:

what a great come back Khan !!! nice dwarf and friend

Zanko:

Nice guys, but the latter and bigger one is really ugly for a dwarf :):):slight_smile:

Very cool conversion!!! :hat off

I like the pose of the dwarf! Only the colour of the “eyes” doesn´t suit him - but that´s only my minor opinion … :o

:hashut

Filipicusius:

I have to say, i am really impressed.

clam:

Once again great work, Khan :hat off

With what bits did you make the first guy there? You’ve given me an idea.

swissdictator
Think it’s a Mordheim Dwarf Pit Fighter with a new face :wink:

wallacer:

I like the face cloth bits under the helmets. Nice touch for a race that lives in a fairly toxic environment.

Ubertechie:

I really like the colour scheme - the purple is very different but works very well

Khan!:

Hey, thanks for the comments!  I had originally intended to put these last two together for the previous Golden Hat, but then I…er…didn’t really.

@ swissdictator:  As clam has already mentioned, it’s a Mordheim dwarf pitfighter.  Plus gs and horns from the gor plastics.

@ Kera:  Haha yes I think that sums it up nicely!

@ Zanko:  Hm, do you have another idea for the colour?  I was going for a glassy-goggle look, and I didn’t want to go green cuz I thought it would clash with the beard.  Basically I’m going for goggles + mania, and I’m open to suggestions!

@ Wallacer:  Cheers, that’s all Snotling’s idea, or at least he was my inspiration.

So I’m gonna prime up the ironbreakers/immortals this afternoon, as the weather is mild here right now.  In between my work on Process Theology (:() and Hindu narrative literature (:))I might just get to painting something else this week!

Ghrask Dragh:

Nice conversion on the pitfighter, very quirky, your colours for the skin are perfect and like the style alot :smiley:

Sory if you’ve been asked before but what colours do you use?

Time of Madness:

Wonderful colour scheme! The army looks unique and unified. You didn’t a great job…I think I like the hell cannon best!

Time of Madness

Khan!:

Re: Painting.

The skin of the CDs is done with a base coat of Codex Grey, followed by a wash of thinned Chaos Black. I then do a first highlight with Codex Grey again after the wash is dry, followed by successive highlights of Codex Grey+Bleached Bone until I’m satisfied with the result.

Beards are just Scab Red blended up with Golden Yellow. Easy!

The Purple is Liche Purple, followed by a Black Ink, and then highlighted in the same way as the skin with Liche Purple+Bleached Bone.

The bronze metal is Burnished Bronze, followed by a wash of Chaos Black+Brown Ink, and then highlighted with Burnished Bronze+Mithril Silver.

Bone is Bestial Brown blended up to Bleached Bone+Skull White.

Khan!:

I’ve painted the first five of the ironbreaker-warriors.  Their shields are quite sloppy, but whatevs - these will just be a back rank!  Upon further consideration I’ve decided that these models really aren’t very good - the armour is great but I really dislike the ridiculous pose, not least because they’re all the same.  I wish that GW had sculpted them all like the unit champ model, who is crouched forward rather than waving his weapon about.

I also put together 20 experimental naked hobbo models (ie abused pit slaves?):

Right now I’m trying to decide whether I want them to be completely ‘naked’ or if I’m gonna sculpt loincloths or something similar.  Also since I made 20 and I’m not convinced that I want to do 20 more, would it be viable to run them in 10-man units like empire detachments - ie as flankers?

Re: possible loincloths?:

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

Kera foehunter:

great iron breaker ! but i love you hobgoblins with the leather face mask

Grimstonefire:

Those Hobgoblins remind me of something off resident evil… Which would be an awesome way for GW to reinvent them; the tortured greenskin slaves.

The immortals/ ironbreakers will probably look better as a unit. Do you think they will rank ok with those shields?

Ghrask Dragh:

Dude… sweet

If these don’t deserve slaves nothing does, I’ve thought a few times about those Kroot things but nothing as good as these, those loin cloths might be a good idea though :slight_smile: whats going on with the guy at the back with the elongated head?

Kera foehunter:

Khan have you thought of changing out the axes on the iron breaker to more of a evil type of ax ???

GRNDL:

@Khan, re: Ironbreakers all in same pose

That could be remedied by a couple of chops, some pins and a little GS work. Grinding off the runes and slapping something more chaotic in their place might help as well. The colour scheme works out nicely, IMO.

Khan!:

Thanks for the comments!

@ Ghrask Dragh: Cheers, thanks! You can tell which of these guys I did earlier in the night because they got significantly better as I went. The first one looks like a kroot in a funny hat! The elongated head ones (one of which is pictured here) didn’t have their spines totally clipped. Instead I shortened them and greenstuffed some hair-shapes to look a bit like mohawks. We’ll see how that goes when I paint one of them - I might go in and just carve them all up like the guys whose heads are entirely in the leather bags.

@ Grimstonefire: Gosh I sure hope they rank up with those shields! Ha I haven’t even thought about that… I’m sure it will work out.

@Kera: Yeah, I might do some weapon swaps. I plan to dig around in my bitz box and see if there’s anything good that wouldn’t look too big in dwarf hands.

@GRNDL: I agree. There’s definitely stuff that I could do to make them more chaos dwarfy and doing some chopping would remedy the pose problem. My conversion skills are not particularly exciting though, and I’m not sure I want to put so much effort into these particular models. Perhaps I’ll experiment with a couple and post the results.

Hazkar:

wow,your immortals looking good…now i think i´ll do a unit of them,too

the naked hobbos look interesting.cant wait to see them painted

Bloodfire:

Brilliant looking army so far, cant wait to see the rest of it :smiley:

Good job on the slaves too, although im fighting the urge to shout ‘bring out the gimp!’ (been watching pulp fiction last night so its still lodged in my head).

clam:

Nice update, Khan!

One almost feels sorry for those experimental naked hobbos - but the look sweeeeet :smiley: