[Archive] New K'daai Destroyer WIP

gIL^:

Well I spoke directly to Steve Whitehead who is sculpting it and he says the issue is around making it work in the moulding process and the fact because it's a freelance piece it keeps getting pushed back behind Heresy product and it's half moulded but on hold. I'm not sure that he's going to do any ore sculpting work on it.

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon

A better Desroyer :D

Skamandude:

Debatable :stuck_out_tongue:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Skamandude:

Yeah i didnt necessarily mean ‘Lets debate it AGAIN’

Also, i haven’t spoken to Guybrush since he nailed me in that coffin a few years back. Next time i see him giving him a message from Eddie Maiden will be the last thing on my mind…

Pyro Stick:

I actually like it. I dont think you get a good impression of it from these photos. Im looking forward to seeing it finished and a few painted examples. If its not too expensive i would be tempted to get it.

mireadur:

Its ridiculous. A pity, but whatever.

GodHead:

The more they work on it, the more crap it looks.

Honestly, they are just throwing good man-hours after bad at this point.
Oh wow, Whitehead did both?

I guess he just sucks as a sculptor.

Admiral:

Oddball model. It might really good with a paint job, although extra details could hopefully improve the scult.

Vogon:

The more they work on it, the more crap it looks.

Honestly, they are just throwing good man-hours after bad at this point.
Oh wow, Whitehead did both?

I guess he just sucks as a sculptor.

GodHead
I have to take issue with this. Steve definitely does not suck as a sculptor. The K'Daai may not be to your taste but it is an extremely good sculpt as anyone who has seen it can testify. I don't like the Fire Elemental but that does not make it poorly sculpted.

Steve is also responsible for a lot of the Chaos Dwarf line and since he has been moved on to Heresy stuff has produced some cracking models including the Emperor's Children's Palatine Blades.

I personally love the K'Daai and will be getting one when it does (eventually) get released.

Cheers

Vogon

Admiral:

Whitehead is not a bad sculptor. The Chaos Dwarf range is testament to that, although it should ideally have looked more like the Hellcannon and its crew.

The K’daai Destroyer is not a model which wins all hearts, but it still looks good enough to appeal to quite many collectors. Think of it as one of very many possible Chaos Dwarf constructs for big, bound fire daemons. In a way it’s probably good that the Destroyer will be bought by only part of the CD collectors, because it’s always nice to see Balrogs or extensively converted monsters around for the Destroyer unit. Such a large construct from such a mysterious faction deserves its diverse looks.

GodHead:

Steve is also responsible for a lot of the Chaos Dwarf line and since he has been moved on to Heresy stuff has produced some cracking models including the Emperor's Children's Palatine Blades.
Taur'ruk done by Edgar Skomorowski;
Bull Centaurs done by Edgar Skomorowski;
Fireborn done by Edgar Skomorowski;
Daemonsmith/Castellan/Prophet done by Steve Whitehead;
Skullcracker done by Thais Mariblanca Lopez;
Drazoath/Bale Taurus done by Steve Whitehead
Dreadquake Mortar done by Tim Adcock and Keith Robertson;
Deathshrieker done by Edgar Skomorowski;
Magma Cannon done by Edgar Skomorowski;
Iron Daemon done by Tim Adcock and Thais Mariblanca Lopez;
Infernal Guard done by Edgar Skomorowski;
Infernal Guard with Fireglaives done by Edgar Skomorowski; and
Infernal Guard command done by Edgar Skomorowski.

So... He did the characters, the Bale Taurus and nothing else? Bit disingenuous (actually an outright lie) to say he's "responsible for a lot of the Chaos Dwarf line" isn't it?

Here's the work linked to in his page on Forgeworld:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Designers/Steve-Whitehead.html

We have:
awful Bile Trolls;
passable Manaan's Blades;
terrible Brood Horror;
quite good Bale Taurus;
quite uninspired CD characters (not listed on his page);
one of the worst miniatures done by Forgeworld ever, the infamous Incarnate Elemental of Fire (not listed on his page);
the quite good Palatines (not listed on his page);
the Preyton (bad concept with decent execution?) - (not listed on his page);
the asstacular Warpfire Dragon (not listed on his page); and
the quite nice Fimir (not listed on his page).

So the best of his work is the Bale Taurus and the Fimir. Overall, I'd rate him below average for Forgeworld. The Brood Horror, Bile Trolls, Warpfire Dragon, Incarnate Elemental and Destroyer all show the weakness of his work. He thinks "lumps" are a good substitute for "detail."

Nicodemus:

So... He did the characters, the Bale Taurus and nothing else? Bit disingenuous (actually an outright lie) to say he's "responsible for a lot of the Chaos Dwarf line" isn't it?

GodHead
I think this is a tad unfair to vogon. The "outright lie" is inflammatory and accusatory, as a lie is a false statement meant to decieve. I read nothing in vogon's posts to suggest he's intentionally lying, and if he has been misinformed or mistaken then calling him a liar is going to provoke a fight.

You made a good case, Godhead, by posting the list of sculptors, so vogon was mistaken, but that's all.

GodHead:

If he knew Whitehead sculpted only 2 of the range, and said so anyway, it’s a lie.

If he didn’t know how many Whitehead sculpted, and was just spouting off, then it’s wilful blindness. A sloppy back-hand comment to make a point expecting to never be called on it.

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that no negative intent was in his post.

At any rate, my focus wasn’t on Vogon, but on Whitehead, who just isn’t very good.

Nicodemus:

At any rate, my focus wasn't on Vogon, but on Whitehead, who just isn't very good.

GodHead
Luckily we got the Bale Taurus out of him ;) ... And I an make do with two of the Daemonsmith characters :P

~N

Vogon:

GodHead
OK I�?Tll try not to take offence at the �?ooutright lie�?� comment but having talked at great length to both Edgar and Steve on a number of occasions I can say with authority that the whole CD line was a collaborative effort between the two so yes regardless of the sculptor�?Ts name on the website he is responsible for a lot of the CD line. Both he and Edgar are great guys very open when talking about their work and really enjoyed working together on the Chaos Dwarf line.

As to your opinion on the rest of his sculpts they remain that, your opinion. I like some of his sculpts think some are awesome especially having seen them up close and actively dislike some of them too. This is a matter of personal taste and not a comment on his ability which is far superior to my own ability which is why I�?Tm happy to buy the models and not create my own.

If I don�?Tt like something I�?Tll say so but I won�?Tt say that the person that made it �?osucks as a sculptor�?� that is an unfair assessment of the skill and effort that goes into these things.

Cheers

Vogon

GeofreyShank:

Sticklander:

To be fair, it’s still a WIP, and the sculptor may still have a lot of work to do on it. I think it is best to reserve any harsh, and unfair, criticisms until it is completed.

NoisyAssassin:

We have:
awful Bile Trolls;
passable Manaan's Blades;
terrible Brood Horror;
quite good Bale Taurus;
quite uninspired CD characters (not listed on his page);
one of the worst miniatures done by Forgeworld ever, the infamous Incarnate Elemental of Fire (not listed on his page);
the quite good Palatines (not listed on his page);
the Preyton (bad concept with decent execution?) - (not listed on his page);
the asstacular Warpfire Dragon (not listed on his page); and
the quite nice Fimir (not listed on his page).

GodHead
Bile Trolls: Passable
Manann's Blades: Good
Brood Horror: Awesome
Bale Taurus: Awesome
CD characters: Very good
Incarnate Elemental of Fire: Awesome
Palatines: Very good
Preyton: Passable execution of a bad concept
Warpfire Dragon: Awesome
Fimir: Passable

I think you may just dislike his style GodHead. Which is a perfectly legitimate opinion. But saying that he's an objectively bad sculptor because he puts out models that you don't personally like is disengenous.

Scalenex:

I think the reason the criticisms are tending to be so harsh is because the most hard core Chaos Dwarf fans have been envisioning their perfect version of K’daii in their head for years.

Admiral:

I think the reason the criticisms are tending to be so harsh is because the most hard core Chaos Dwarf fans have been envisioning their perfect version of K'daii in their head for years.

Scalenex
This is undoubtedly so. To its defence the WIP K'daai Destroyer is quite decent and definitely suits one niche of giant daemon bound in iron by mad Chaos-worshipping stunty scientists. But just one niche out of many possible, and not necessarliy the best niche.

It's nice to know that many people will continue to use alternatives and convert their own Destroyers even after the official model has been released.

Parish:

It looks really cool I think ! Just need to get rid of the legs though, and convert it a little bit.

I agree with scanelex, having in mind for instance the awesome concept art in the book (magma bull thing) and having such a different mini now was at first a little disapointing.