[Archive] New K'daai Destroyer WIP

Skink:

Nobody negates that this guy’s a talented sculptor. The point is that the miniature lacks consistency with the existing Chaos Dwarf range and looks like a mish mash of many things blended together without any particular focus (as Thommy H said previously). The armor design doesn’t seem very dwarfish to me, the shoulder pads look exactly like Tomb King shields, the Daemon trapped into the exoskeleton looks more like a gigantic Minotaur encased in a sort of hell-knows suit of something. I mean, the damn thing even has hooves instead of talons. Ugh.

Baggronor said something in the past: “The real problem is that this thing doesn’t really mirror the fluff, a K’daai Destroyer should be an utter force of, well, destruction barely restrained by its physical bonds. Something impossible like trapping a frozen explosion in a suit of Chaos armour”.

Personally I like a lot the K’daai art on Tamurkhan. The sculptor of this monstrosity said (in a past interview) that not only he hasn’t given a look to the illustration, but he hasn’t even read its army book entry nor its rules…

Admiral:

That’s unprofessional. Would it be worthwhile for FW to release this as either a variant K’daai Destroyer or some other CD-forged Chaos monster, and release an entirely new sculpt later on? It’d take a long while due to the Horus Heresy frenzy, but it could work out for them.

Grimstonefire:

Agreed.  If I were FW I’d write this guy some new ‘experimental’ rules and just release him.  Leave fans to errata it into their lists.

Thus leaving them free in a couple of years to release a decent destroyer, whilst also giving us the pleasure of a new monster in the meantime.

Dare I say it, I’d even be willing to see what Trish could come up with…

wallacer:

Are they actually going to release it, or just keep putting it in a glass case every 6 months?

Vogon:

Are they actually going to release it, or just keep putting it in a glass case every 6 months?

wallacer
email them and ask :)

That was one thing that Steve Whitehead said keep up the queries and emails and that should persuade them to stop pushing it back.

Cheers

Vogon

Bloodbeard:

It’s a very hard concept to capture in a miniature, I read the Thamurkhan fluff again yesterday. It’s supposed to be half demon, half molten essence of the badlands earth (lava), bound together by magic and captured in a mechanical armour/cage. Only the mightiest sorcerer-prophets can do this, and still the k’daii is unstable.

How should anyone be able to capture that in a model (that’s gigantic) and fits the rest of the FW CD line? Tjub has made four different kinds, and none of them get it quite right in my opinion (it is awesome miniatures though!).

I can’t seem to get the right concept for fire born or destroyer made up either - and I really want a destroyer.

I think the FW model shows promise. If they made the legs just a bit more bull like, and put some flames on him (like there was fire burning out through the armour ) it would fit imagination of a destroyer great.

The Odor:

The more I look at this… The weirder I feel about it. My first reaction was a resounding “Meh” but as I have looked over the different and great interpertations on this site I have come to a strange conclusion. I can’t find a single one that fits MY image of it. And what that image is I am not even certain of myself.

Encouraged by Bloodbeard above I read through it again and it does not make itself clearer, neither in the Monstrous Arcana or Thamurkhan.

To be handed the job of designing the offical mini of something that has no true form but is rather a strange machine, each unique made up of fire and metal would be a nightmare and I am thankful towards Steve Whitehead lining up for the task at all. I do not like the sculpt personally and if I would ever deploy a Destroyer I would use something else, but there are clearly people who like it and then who am I to argue? It is an attempt to interpret something completely personal into a clear medium and so:

Thank you Steve Whitehead for helping to bring one of my favorite factions back to warhammer and also thanks for trying your hand at such an unthankful job.

Lord Crumptington:

The more I look at the pictures the more I like the model. I think the detail on the armour is great (though I note of course the model does not have an armour save, and just as well or it would be banned from all games).

Clearly there is some work to be done:

1) to beef up the legs;

2) I’m not sure I like the minotaur and would suggest simply have the body ‘flaming’ like a k’daai fireborn.

Scalenex hits the nail on the head - people have built this thing up in their minds for years, converting their own etc and whatever FW produce is not going to please everyone or even most people. A bit like references to the Clone Wars in the original Star Wars, then we get Attack of the Clones. Just doesn’t live up.

What I do really like about this model is that it is proper demonic - anyone who played Doom 2 agree it resembles the final boss (the head at lease)? I think that’s awesome.

NemesisCH:

On Thursday, I had a personal conversation with a few guys from Forgeworld. The mould of the destroyer is apparently more or less completed. The release is apparently to be expected in a month or two. I hope that’s true and the price will not be too high.

The best information was, the destroyer is not the last release in terms of chaos dwarfs. Only that everything in terms of fantasy is massively delayed, due the range of the Horus heresy era miniatures. Only one person is working, at the moment, on fantasy projects.

gIL^:

On Thursday, I had a personal conversation with a few guys from Forgeworld. The mould of the destroyer is apparently more or less completed. The release is apparently to be expected in a month or two. I hope that's true and the price will not be too high.

The best information was, the destroyer is not the last release in terms of chaos dwarfs. Only that everything in terms of fantasy is massively delayed, due the range of the Horus heresy era miniatures. Only one person is working, at the moment, on fantasy projects.

NemesisCH
To hear that theres more chaos dwarfs in the pipe line is great, Maybe we might get a bsb or some other cool stuff.

Bloodbeard:

On Thursday, I had a personal conversation with a few guys from Forgeworld. The mould of the destroyer is apparently more or less completed. The release is apparently to be expected in a month or two. I hope that's true and the price will not be too high.

NemesisCH
To hear that theres more chaos dwarfs in the pipe line is great, Maybe we might get a bsb or some other cool stuff.

gIL^
Or hobgoblins! I would like to see FWs take on hobgoblins.

Sticklander:

NemesisCH

gIL^
Or hobgoblins!  I would like to see FWs take on hobgoblins.

Bloodbeard
I second that! i reckon they'd produce some great Mongol-esque hobgoblins! :D

Vogon:

NemesisCH
I so want this to be true but I've been disappointed so many times on this the K'Daai release date that I've almost given up.

It does sound hopeful that this will not be the last release though :)

Cheers

Vogon

PhilmacFLy:

Just got an answer from FW on my question when the Destroyer wil be available:

Hi,

Thank you for your email.  The K’daai Destroyer is having the finishing touches added to it over the next few week.  So, it will not be released until next year now, unfortunately, we can’t be more specific than this at the moment as the model is not yet finished.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,

Forge World

Yodrin:

Just got an answer from FW on my question when the Destroyer wil be available:
Hi,
Thank you for your email.  The K'daai Destroyer is having the finishing touches added to it over the next few week.  So, it will not be released until next year now, unfortunately, we can't be more specific than this at the moment as the model is not yet finished.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,
Forge World

PhilmacFLy
Take as long as you want, I am not buying that thing. I will still use my Krull as the Destroyer when this comes out ;):cheers

gIL^:

At any rate, my focus wasn't on Vogon, but on Whitehead, who just isn't very good.

GodHead
Luckily we got the Bale Taurus out of him ;) ... And I an make do with two of the Daemonsmith characters :P

~N

Nicodemus
I know what you mean, I binned the 3rd so fugly i didn't even give it away.

gIL^:

NemesisCH

gIL^
Or hobgoblins!  I would like to see FWs take on hobgoblins.

Bloodbeard
I second that! i reckon they'd produce some great Mongol-esque hobgoblins! :D

Sticklander
Though i would love to see it forgeworld have already said hobgoblins can't be done due to their pricecost in the game of actual price from forgeworld.

5 wolf riders for what £25? that's the absolute cheapest and i still think people will convert them. :(

PhilmacFLy:

Well, most people here seem to hate that beast but I think it's great. I will buy it myself. I am curious about the statement that there shall be more Chaos Dwarfs miniatures in the future. Haven't they told us that they are through with them?

Herby
I like the model aswell will defenitly buy.

On the time thing: Thats the Email as I got it *shrug*

Admiral:

Forge World should simply just release a trio of Hobgoblin characters and perhaps an ordinary command group and see if the models are characterful and demanded enough for sales to justify further Hobgoblin releases. Test the market with a safe pioneer kit.

Even a quite small amount of sales for Hobgoblin infantry and riders could repay the investment handsomely enough to make it worth the release. A bitz kit of Hobgoblin heads and curved knives could also be of interest for converters. FW is a boutique styled business after all. The only way to tell the depth is for Forge World to dive into the waters.

evil smurf:

I just checked in with Forge World about the K’daai Destroyer and they told me early 2014 and yes, no plans for hobgoblins.