[Archive] The Fimir of Albion - out of the mist

Mr Saturday:

Cheers all! I need plenty of encouragement to keep at these lads!

These savage orcs seems so perfect for this project of yours. Are you planing on sculpting each and ever single head or have you started making moulds?
When I first saw the full sprue images of the savage orc sprues, after studying the bits, I realised with some joy I could finally make these guys. I’ve had my eye out for a suitable base kit for years. I considered the orc boys, but they don’t have the dynamic posing I wanted, and they are a little too hunched. The savage orcs have lots of bare flesh areas too, which matches how I see the fimir dressing.

I have indeed started making moulds. I use instant mould, which is the fantastique. Nothing sticks to it, so you don’t need a release agent. Given I can crank out the parts I need now, I should actually have a shot at getting this unit done. I’m also using some of Bloodmoon miniatures bog raiders. They are taller than the savage orcs, but that doesn’t upset me over-much. Fimir don’t seem the most consistent of races, what with human to ogre sized individuals.

I am planning on a filler or two. I have some Celtic style columns, which might look cool rising out of the swamp. I’ll pop up more shots when the first rank is assembled.

clam:

Ahh! ‘Instant Mold’ - yeah saw that - and will most certainly be a dear friend in a project like this.

And size - well originally Fimirs was supposed to be human sized creatures (1.8-2.1m) (from Jes’ original concept sketches) - but GW didn’t stay true to that and made them more ogre sized - so I think it can be ‘approved’ (if you need our approval) to vary them in size. Also gives you some variety gaming wise - as they can be almost anything Orcs, Beasts, Chaos and DoWs.

And we should really go nag Nicolas Genovese. When I bought 10 of those Bog Raiders he told me his brother was working on doing more. That 1½ year ago, now - don’t you think they should have been done by now :wink:

Mr Saturday:

Aye, I first thought to do one unit of bog raiders and one of converted orcs, but in the end I think the more mob-like look of mixing the two together will work better, and break up the rank and file look a bit, as fimir are more warband than army in my view. I may even put an ogre scale one in there as a filler, though at the moment I’m need them all for the two units of six (as ogres) I’m planning, one of fianna fimm and one of nobles.

I’ve been onto Nicolas myself, hinting about characters and command. All the raiders are totally out of stock at the moment, which is a little worrying…

Bassman:

I do not know anything about Fimirs but I second Clam’s idea of different sizes. I love varied units with different size creatures for “wild” armies. An unit filler with an ogre sized Fimir would be great! Give him an enormous club! :smiley:

Mr Saturday:

Give him an enormous club!
Club sounds good, I'll see what I can do...

My eye is now turning to the mounted savage orcs. Mounted fimir don't seem right, especially on boars, but, perhaps a fimir hero on some swamp..thing? This is doubly useful as I plan using the boars for my boar centaurs.

clam:

Well, the Indy GT Fimir ‘trail list’ had Fimmlings (smaller version Fimir’s, I guess) riding a Rancor (a swamp dwelling beast). Have always pictured that as a goblin sized Fimir riding a Fenbeast (or any other clay golum). You can probably not fit a such on a cavalry base, though. But if you could find a suitable swamp beast, perhaps spider riders (forest goblins) could be converted into Fimmling riders??

Mr Saturday:

I’m following the background in Warpstone 25 pretty much as canon, even though it’s pure fan-lore, but then, as chaos dwarf players, we’re well used to that! As such, fimmlings don’t really fit the army fluff I’m working with, but please, keep them ideas coming! Having said that, I really like the idea of riding a fenbeast/swamp beastie, that fits well with my theme, as I plan on using six fenbeasts as a unit of trolls. Some kind of daemon (not from one of the four powers though) might suit too, perhaps a converted fiend or spawn.

Dang it, I’m totally doing a fimir hero mounted on a beast, either a fenbeast style construct or a swamp monster.

Now to find some manner of swamp monster thing that suits. Perhaps there will be something in the new monstrous beast sets for the Storm of Magic book…

clam:

Well, the Fimmlings are ‘just’ the Shearl’s from the Warpstone list, really. In the Indy GT list you can then upgrade one Fimmling to be a Shearl. It then has the mount option.

I had an idea of using this Heresy HM020 Sludge Gulper:

as a swamp beast - but wont fit a 25x50mm base either , without some heavy conversion.

Mr Saturday:

Ooo, I like this guy. Heresy eh?

I had planned to use an allied human tribe (Celts) as shearl, so I could use Celt cavalry as marauders.  You’re kinda swinging me to including fimir shearl as fimmlings too though, maybe leading or mingled with the humans. The Celtos stuff is particularly nice. This gal would be a marauder champion:

clam:

I’m a Celtos fan, too - and the miniatures are great - but why shouldn’t they be. Many of them are sculpt by one of the very best - Mr Kevin ‘Hasslefree’ White - like that Gal :smiley:

And Sludge Gulper is certainly a great one - and is sculpted by Kev Whithe (for Heresy), too :wink:

Mr Saturday:

Aye, his stuff is great. Some of the Gael heroes are fantastic, but even the troops are really nice.

I don’t know if you’re a Slaine fan, but there used to be a race called the Cythrons, who would ride the worm God Crom into battle. They directed him by stabbing him to indicate the correct direction with a kind of spear. Maybe…

Necrotique:

Hey, I was just wondering what instant mould is and where I could get some?

I currently use a silicone mould but it takes forever to set and doesn’t pick up detail well.

:cheers

clam:

Used for press moulding

And can be picked up from eBay and CMoN.

and is said to be the same as ‘Friendly Plastic’ - that’s been around for years.

Mr Saturday:

Thanks Clam. It’s magical stuff.

Necrotique:

Wow! That looks awesome :smiley:

Can you cast resin in it though?

clam:

Depends on the type of resin, I guess. The material is re-usable some soften when heated (hot water) - so I’m afraid that the temperature - when the resin reacts with each other - will make it very, very soft and maybe even melt.

nitroglysarine:

Its another name for the product name known as ‘polymorph’

I’ve used it with some success. Although if trying to take a cast of something that is made of resin IT WILL STICK TO IT!

Necrotique:

Just ordered some of the instant-mould. Was wondering if you can easily make two part moulds of “body” pieces of models. I ask this as I build some CD parts from scratch and want to be able to have “base” torso and leg parts to make a variation of CD units in a regiment.

Mr Saturday:

It took me a few goes to make a mould for a head. What I did in the end was cover the part (folding the instant mould over it), then, when it set, carefully cut along the original part’s mould line, but only until the mould opened and I could pull out the part. That, then, should work for new mouldings.

Necrotique:

So is it bendy or does it set brittle?