[Archive] The Slaughterers (my new blog)

Grimstonefire:

With the release of all the Warhammer forge CD stuff, I have decided that the time is right to retire my previous collection of models and start a new army blog.  Many of the models I�?Tve done will be rebased, like Mardak the Slaughter himself and my Brotherhood of Hashut.

What will make my blog different to most is that I will still mostly be working to the list/fluff I have written, meaning that there will be lots of interesting things in there rather than just the WF stuff.  Also I�?Tm just adding random things I make rather than working towards any army list.

I have also decided to do several things I have not done before with this blog.  Firstly I am going to make all the regiments have �?~continuous basing�?T, using upside down mantic bases sufficiently covered in things that they look like proper dioramas.

I will try and only show models that are completely finished for undercoating or are painted, no WIP stuff.  In the past I�?Tve found things I show may take 6-12 months (or more) to finish, so to avoid disappointment I�?Tll try and avoid WIP photos.

As I won�?Tt be working towards any points, the unit sizes are just whatever feels right, but I�?Tm going to make some interesting movement trays specifically for each unit that continue the theme out a bit (maybe 15-20mm on all sides).

The theme I have decided on is vaguely WF related, it�?Ts going to be CD fighting amongst the ruins of an empire city/ large town.  What this will mean in practice is a hell of a lot of work making bricks�?� (I�?Tm going to need thousands)!  But it will also mean anything really big I make will have the chance for some awesome basing (like standing on a ruined temple or with exploding rubble).

Lastly, I am going to be sculpting, casting and scratch building a significant amount of models (none for sale) both to get models closer to how I want them and to save money.  A lot of which will be sneaked into photos pre-undercoated because of our forum rules… :wink:

As I know the question will come up, a tutorial on making the bricks:

[/b]

DAS Air Drying Clay

2 Flat wood sticks (the things I used are called �?~tongue depressors�?T ;p, but basically you need 2 flat things at least 15cm long and exactly the same depth (about 2-3mm).

Sharp craft knife

Something round to roll with (I use a spray can lid)

Air tight bag/ box to store the clay in.

1.  Place your wooden sticks/card/plasticard etc lengths sufficiently wide apart that the thing you roll with can fit across.

2.  Tear a chunk of clay off, put it between the sticks and roll it until it�?Ts a nice and even thickness.

3.  Gently score the clay with the knife into a grid.  Remember that the surface is going to be the top or bottom of the bricks, so the aim here is to make them about 3-4 mm wide and about 4-5mm long.  Do some extra long and extra short ones for variety.  Do not cut all the way through!

4.  After say 5-6 hours cut down on all the short sides of the bricks (i.e. not the long sides), all the way through.  You can leave them all in place, it just makes it easier to separate them later.

5.  When they are all almost dry, break apart all the bricks.  Do it before they dry completely.

The reason I don�?Tt cut the long lengths sooner is that when you rip them apart it makes the surface nice and textured, whereas if you cut them early on they will be smooth.  Which would be great for WW2 urban rubble or building walls, but not very interesting or realistic for Warhammer rubble imo.  The sooner you break them apart the more textured they will be, but the more likely they will break apart completely and be useless.

6.  Lastly, the tedious bit�?�  When they are completely dry cut down the short sides of each brick with a sharp knife so they can be made into walls etc.  Also cut off any really ugly bits.

As my first picture for my blog I�?Tve made a cool base for my Lamassu.  The rider will be one of the WF sorcerer models converted.

[align=center][/b][/color]

nitroglysarine:

Looks cool.

That model is rather nice. It that a 40x40 base or a 50x50 base?

Grimstonefire:

It’s 50mm.  Which judging by the WF taurus means this guy will be rediculously small (if they make a lamassu to a similar size).  But it’s a cool model anyway.  When I’m rich I may get the bigger scale version of this.

I’ll paint him up soon I think.  I’ve been busy building a unit base which will be in the next update.

Edit. The model would fit on 40mm, but I thought 50mm worked better because of what I planned to do.

G.2:

Really nice looking army. Based on what I can see, I am really looking forward to seeing your project grow. The base looks awesome. I am keen this model painted. Keep up the great work. Consider me subscribed to this Blog.

tjub:

This will be an epic thread! :slight_smile:

Borador:

looking forward to seeing all you are gonna post in here. Lamassu looks nice ^^

Lord Archaon:

Lamassu looks ace! :slight_smile: Though a bit thin to my taste. Are you planing to add Big Hat style banner poles to the rider?

Grimstonefire:

I wasn’t planning on, but then I hadn’t thought about it.  I’ll see what it looks like with a rider first.

More pictures, well, 2 shots of the first unit base.

I cut the GW movement tray I have into 3:

2 x 30

1 x 40

I also have another sheet so I should be able do all these again, or perhaps do some smaller ones?  I could do 4 x 25?  Hard to think ahead what I will need really when I don’t have many models to put on yet.

I think I’ll have a go at the other 30 base first, incase I later decide to do the 40 as a 50.

Anyhow, this is a regiment base for 30 models.  I tried to imagine where CD warrior type models would go on each base and put some flat surface for the feet.  It may not look like it, but there’s probably around 300-400 bricks here.

A few bases are left bare in the middle, I’ll flock around the model for these rather than have them standing on rubble. The greenstuff on that one base is a simple attempt at a small mortar crater. I’m considering cutting up a GW one or building my own for one regiment base, maybe the 40, so this was a test run.

Da Crusha:

looks really cool. I’m gotta start working on mine soon, Its gotta be done before the next tournament in a month.

Red Skullz:

Oh my this is awesome!

R

Skink:

That’s an hell of a good start!!! The theme is interesting, even though I liked the engineer flavor of your old army!!! The tray and the lammasu are absolutely brilliant.

Grimstonefire:

The engineer theme is something I will need to consider once I actually have an army to put on these bases.

The one thing I do know is my old models won’t fit the theme as my vision of CD has changed a bit since then, hence why I’ve put them up for sale

I have some WIP blunderbuss armed models done in that style I will probably hold onto, as they could be converted.

My next update here will be the 3 bodies I have sculpted in a similar style to the Hellsmith but with masks, ready for casting. I need to make some arms as well.

Grimstonefire:

The first of my chaos dwarfs.

I’m not exactly sure what to do with these as I want to wait and see what happens with core CD warriors.  If there is the smallest chance that the GW studio will put out some plastic or resin models for a FW list I may have to wait and see.

I may just cast a few for a unit, leaving loads of gaps for other CD models to fill at some point.

I’m quite happy with the basic concept though.  Not uber evil, but certainly close enough to whatever WF puts out that they will fit in fine. A little bit more work needed tidying them up, and I may do a bit more detail on the back of some.

Shakhorth:

The first of my chaos dwarfs.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with these as I want to wait and see what happens with core CD warriors.  If there is the smallest chance that the GW studio will put out some plastic or resin models for a FW list I may have to wait and see.

I may just cast a few for a unit, leaving loads of gaps for *other* CD models to fill at some point.

I'm quite happy with the basic concept though.  Not uber evil, but certainly close enough to whatever WF puts out that they will fit in fine.  A little bit more work needed tidying them up, and I may do a bit more detail on the back of some.

Grimstonefire
Awesome stuff!!!!! :o
I salute you sir, these are wonderful.

nitroglysarine:

Cool style.

Your scales are very nicely done, I’ve not tried to do them with the sharp V shape yet, sticking to the easier U shape.

Any tips to get a sharp one on ever go?

Grimstonefire:

There are of course many different versions of V shaped scales (some really long and spiky, some with a ridge down the middle etc).

These are probably the simplest as they were just done as fairly big scales with a large (but not too large) V. What may help is that when I did the bottom of each I basically did a U then did an exaggerated push over on one side with a flat tool, more than is neccessary, then a gentle push back the otherside to make it straight. Seemed to work ok.

Unusually for me I actually used the GW sculpting tool for doing a lot of this.

Skot:

:hat off

Awesome stuff - simply amazing!

nitroglysarine:

....Unusually for me I actually used the GW sculpting tool for doing a lot of this.

Grimstonefire
Wow, I don't think i've ever owned one, just have dozens of wax sculpting tools.

tjub:

Looks great! :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Skink:

…The shape of the helmets is typical of your style, really helps creating character and personality! Your sculpting skills are really improved if I may these are amongst the best sculpts you’ve ever posted! Or at last I really like em :stuck_out_tongue: