[Archive] Thorne's return NO HATS!

Thorne:

So what do people think so far any comments and crits will be taken into account

Border Reiver:

My biggest comment is on your banners and shields - you should take some more time and really work on neatening up the designs to have straighter edges - the rounded and uneven appearance detracts from the overall look of your models.  A little more effort at this and the overall appearance will go up alot.  

My second comment would be to work on a more consistent look for the beards and scale armour.  The beards look flat on the front and would benefit from a more rounded look, so that they resemble curls, and the scales for the armour will look a million times better if you can get the scales the same size on the model (they can be different sizes or styles on different models, but should be consistent on the same model so that the quality of CD craftsmanship shows through).

Your work shows an excellent progression so far, and you have a consistent visual look - which goes a  long way towards making this a good looking army.

PS - what base model did you use for your Daemoneater - some sort of Self propelled AT gun? What type/scale?

Hashut’s Blessing:

What did you use to make the Kollosus? Would you consider making one as a piece of commission work?

I love the daemoneater and kollosus: I think they are my two favourite models.

The nose of the great taurus is very cleaver: I believe it’s a musician horn head from the dwarfs? Although, I think it might be a standard top piece from Lizardmen… For wings, you could try the balrog ones?

Thorne:

My biggest comment is on your banners and shields - you should take some more time and really work on neatening up the designs to have straighter edges - the rounded and uneven appearance detracts from the overall look of your models.  A little more effort at this and the overall appearance will go up alot.  

Border Reiver
Totaly agreed the models are not so neatly painted as they should be. Im not a great painter nor a great modeler like some of the more practiced around here so I must concede that point. The sheilds on my warriors is it in question or do you mean the sheilds on my army as a whole ? I find the ones on my Boar centaurs look really good and polished. Not overyl neat but up to some of my better model standards. I was hoping to make the standard more elaborate once I had finnished the models and army as a whole.
My second comment would be to work on a more consistent look for the beards and scale armour.  The beards look flat on the front and would benefit from a more rounded look, so that they resemble curls, and the scales for the armour will look a million times better if you can get the scales the same size on the model (they can be different sizes or styles on different models, but should be consistent on the same model so that the quality of CD craftsmanship shows through).

Border Reiver
I will be making a second regiment fo Chaos Dwarf boar centaurs but I will use these on bigger games but I must concede again this was during my miliput phase and I am still using it for bigger models that require much more extensive building up than other green stuff type models. I will be making slightly different beards and masks for the second unit that I hope will look slightly better.
Your work shows an excellent progression so far, and you have a consistent visual look - which goes a  long way towards making this a good looking army.

Border Reiver
Thanks Border your crit is very hepfull for the progression of my modeling and painting skills
What did you use to make the Kollosus? Would you consider making one as a piece of commission work?

Hashut's Blessing
The Kollosus is a easy one anyone could do it and its quite a cheap one from my favorite model maker scotia grendel the models are nice and fit scale wise in the 25mm fantasy scale size range and has the size to make it near as tall as a new plastic giant from games workshop
. I would consider making another one for anyone needed at cost and appropriate postage of course :D

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_45&products_id=291

I love the daemoneater and kollosus: I think they are my two favourite models.

Hashut's Blessing
I must admit I love the Kollosus it turned out really well and the Deamoneater is pretty darn cool too pretty much a just add hat job to the origanal donor model the lighning bolts detailing looks pretty cool with the addition of a hat beard mask and away we go :D This with a Imperial guard stood next to for appropriate scaling before the small paintjob and minor converstion work.

The nose of the great taurus is very cleaver: I believe it's a musician horn head from the dwarfs? Although, I think it might be a standard top piece from Lizardmen... For wings, you could try the balrog ones?

Hashut's Blessing
Yes the nose is from the dwarf command sprue. I had a crazy idea when I spotted Archaons old horse with the banner top next to it and a big blob of greenstuff suddenly the head was there and I had then to make the body. It didnt take too long and thanks for tallign me about the balrog wings. I didnt realise the Balrog wings came as seperate thanks :D

snowblizz:

I’m curious about that tank. Can’t seem to find anything like it. Which tank is it and what isn’t stock?

Hashut’s Blessing:

You can bits order the balrog’s wings from the GW website :wink:

Thanks for the info :smiley: So, is Scotia Grendel a miniatures company or a toy makers or something else? (Not yet clicked the link, lol :smiley: )

Thorne:

I'm curious about that tank. Can't seem to find anything like it. Which tank is it and what isn't stock?

snowblizz
Snowblizz the tank is called the Rapier Battle Tank, Catalouge number 20055 and can be found at Scotia grendle Raiper Battle tank its a 3 part resin kit that comes with sides with tracks and the main central part of it. I sadly their are no pictures shown of it but as a company they are very helpfull and emails are usualy answered in no more than half a hour during usual opening times.

Thorne:

So, is Scotia Grendel a miniatures company or a toy makers or something else? (Not yet clicked the link, lol :D )

Hashut's Blessing
Scotia Grendle are a nice english based company that produce large variety of quality metal resin models and scenery for wargamers from small scale stuff to 28mm sci-fi and fantasy making not only vehicles but monsters scenery too their stuff is pretty darn cool.

black hammer:

The kollosus and deamoneater are way cool! Good Job!:cheers

snowblizz:

I'm curious about that tank. Can't seem to find anything like it. Which tank is it and what isn't stock?

snowblizz
Snowblizz the tank is called the Rapier Battle Tank, Catalouge number 20055 and can be found at Scotia grendle Raiper Battle tank its a 3 part resin kit that comes with sides with tracks and the main central part of it. I sadly their are no pictures shown of it but as a company they are very helpfull and emails are usualy answered in no more than half a hour during usual opening times.

Thorne
Typical! I was thinking as much. I was curious to see if the "Chaos like" stuff on the sides were on the actual model, as I think, and not a conversion.

Thorne:

Typical! I was thinking as much. I was curious to see if the "Chaos like" stuff on the sides were on the actual model, as I think, and not a conversion.

snowblizz
Yes tje chaos like star look on the sides is part of the actual model quite a great deal of the models have that detailing the ligthining bolt and star making it look appropriately chaos esque without any real work. Ill be the first to admit Im lazy and it just called out to me as chaos tank/chariot but not too much for warhammer and certainly too steam punk for warhammer 40K .

snowblizz:

snowblizz
Yes tje chaos like star look on the sides is part of the actual model quite a great deal of the models have that detailing the ligthining bolt and star making it look appropriately chaos esque without any real work. Ill be the first to admit Im lazy and it just called out to me as chaos tank/chariot but not too much for warhammer and certainly too steam punk for warhammer 40K .

Thorne
Too Steampunk? Really? I would have said it looks pretty perfect for Chaos in 40k. That's what I'd use it for anyway.

Thorne:

20 hobgoblin wolf riders now added to the force as well as a sizeable chunk of 50 hobgoblin archers for cannon fodder meat sheilds and maybe even a few kills along the way if I get very lucky, Yes the force is starting to look very big. Pictures will follow later today of the four regiments 2x25 strong hobgoblin archers and using 20 of the old goff orcs that strangely seam to want to sit down on wolves with shockingly no conversion work at all with 18 normal wolves and using the undead dire wolves I gained from a advert on this forum as the regimental champions (the poses are far more dynamic) the yellow hand hobgoblins look up for the job. Now where did I leave that camera …

Thorne:

Hobgoblins

Kera foehunter:

Wow that a great group on hobies Are the archer warhammer figures ???

Thorne:

Im afraid the archers are the cheapest nasiest but most appropriate models I have ever found, Em-4 plastic orcs at less than 15 pence per model dirt cheap and great for hobgobs too.

Kera foehunter:

Well there like real hobies nasty and cheep

thanks for the link At first i thought you might of converted them from the old gw goblin archer

Thorne:

truth be told I have hundreds of the old plastic night goblins from the old high elf night goblin boxed set for warhammer. But i think they are too short for hobgoblins. Not only that im saving them till I make a pure goblin force in the long future but they do make very pleaseing hobgoblins.

Thorne:

My army thus far

Zanko:

Very impressing dude! :hat off

Amazing size - especially for the time in which you made them! :cheers

I like the quite unique paint scheme of your Hobbos and I love the old Grenadier models you use for them! I used parts of them too for my army! :wink:

Two questions: 1. Are the minis so glossy or is it a because of the flashlight?

2. Will you change the bases?

:hashut