[Archive] WarplockMonkey's Gallery

WarplockMonkey:

Thanks for the positive comments!!

GRNDL: He was originally going to be a priest of Sotek(hence the snakes on the base), with a serpent skin cloak draped around his shoulders, but for some strange reason, i pulled the green stuff cloak up to his oustreched arm…

If there was ever a ‘light-bulb’ moment it was then! :idea

I started off wiith a very thin layer of green stuff as a cloak, the moddeled the feathers onto to,doing both sides seperately, cutting away the GS that was between them.

And stop stealing my ideas you tricksy crustacean! shakes fist

The least you could do is post up pictures so i can keep watch on your devious idea-plunderings!!! shakes fist harder

Ahem…Painted pics will be up as soon as possible, im very hesitant about base coating because i .want it to be white instead of black, and im not sure if the paint would cover the already black undercoat on the base model (i am too poor to afford spray :P)

Another model in the works, an entirely scratch built Strigoi vampire, this time fitting onto the small base that its suppose to fit on :stuck_out_tongue:

- Warplock

torn:

cool skink dude, i am also very impressed with the feathers! and the whole pose/base is so much cooler than the GW one. congratulations on being better than them lol

GRNDL:

I started off wiith a very thin layer of green stuff as a cloak, the moddeled the feathers onto to,doing both sides seperately, cutting away the GS that was between them.

WarplockMonkey
So, in effect, you were using the thin layer of GS as an armature? That makes sense. I'm coming into the realization that the approach to layering GS is the key to good sculpting, but sometimes its tough to see a good approach.
And stop stealing my ideas you tricksy crustacean! *shakes fist*

The least you could do is post up pictures so i can keep watch on your devious idea-plunderings!!! *shakes fist harder*

WarplockMonkey
Not so fast, Mr. Master Sculptor. I don't think I've stolen any of your ideas, as much as been inspired to create something similar... Just think of it as paying homage to your prowess.... /skulks away

As for pictures, when I have something to show I will post it. Unfortunately I've been very busy with work. The projects I'm on are in full time crunch mode to meet deadlines, so free time is a very elusive commodity.
*Ahem*...Painted pics will be up as soon as possible, im very hesitant about base coating because i .want it to be white instead of black, and im not sure if the paint would cover the already black undercoat on the base model (i am too poor to afford spray :P)

WarplockMonkey
White is always a good covering paint, but if you feel like you need some "extra" power try out one of the new Foundation paints from Citadel. They, unlike most of GW products, live up to their advertizing. :)

WarplockMonkey:

Well guys, here’s a turn up for the books…

In short…the strigoi didn’t turn out that well (i couldnt get the nose right :~) so as a sort of side-project, i started to sculpt a banshee, just so that i could have a crack at the female form,and it turned out suprisingly well!

Because of the mirical of the radiator, i managed to sculpt and paint it in 3 hours!

Pics up hopefuly tomorrow!

Also, paint work has been started on Itzi-Tepa (for those of you with bad memory, my FSOD)

Stay tuned space-fans!

- Warplock

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Whoa, these are so cool. Very dynamic, very nice expression and body movement.

The only criticism really that I might have is that they don’t do anything to further the glory of Hashut. :wink:

WarplockMonkey:

Well worthy followers of Hashut, i give you my banshee!

My story for her was that she was the daughter of a highly religious aristocrat in some sort of civilised place (either Brettonian or from the Empire), and was wrongly accused of witchcraft (or worshipping the chaos gods or whatever passes for heresy in the warhammer world)and was commited to death. She was bound and blindfolded, and thrown into some sort of sacred lake. Now in the undeath, she haunts the lands, reaping vengence on the living for what they did to her…

Not bad at all for something that was just a mess around whilst another was drying eh? :wink:

Full steam ahead on the FSOD’s paint-job, for the first time i’ve been using inks on a white undercoat, and it’s working suprseingly well, lots of bright, tropical colours, a first for me!

Stay tuned!

@Ishkur - I am so sorry compadre! You know when you get distracted by models or ideas…and anyway, Lizardmen were my FIRST ever army, a guy would lie when he says he still doesnt have a connection with his first, it’s like a first girlfriend or a first car. No matter what other army i try, i always seem to go back to the scaled ones!

torn:

that bansee is way cool. sometime i wish i could steal some of your sculpting skills, especially your cloth and feathers.

the hole in the face is very very freaky where did you get the inspiration?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I hear you, WM. It seems strange, but I never really put my own undead army fully (my first WHFB army) to rest either. If only GW had made the “Army of the Cairns” an official appendix list of the new Vampire Counts army book! My semi-finished Barrow King on his flying chariot would appreciate it.

The banshee is very cool. You may want to add a small piece of a nose however, it took me some time to see that the ‘hole in the face’ is a regular mouth and thing above it a blindfold.

torn:

The banshee is very cool. You may want to add a small piece of a nose however, it took me some time to see that the 'hole in the face' is a regular mouth and thing above it a blindfold.

Ishkur Cinderhat
oh i must be mistaken then i thought the blindfold was a hairband and the hole was some crazy scary thing like on a horror film. if not then i agree a nose and cheekbones, and creases around the moth would help. i know myself faces are ridiculously hard to sculpt perfectly you can probably see lots of practice 'heads on sticks' in my WIP shots.

big spiky teeth might make it scarier . . .

WarplockMonkey:

Wha-hahhh!

Thanks for the comments!

Haha, I thought that the mouth would confuse…thats what it is meant to do…

Yes, Ishkur you are right, it IS a blindfold, but also i have made the mouth bland and simple, a bit like the dementors in the Harry Potter films, plus placing it in the middle of a seemingly featureless face. It just seemed creepy to me…

GRNDL:

I think the issue is that there isn’t enough space between the blindfold and the mouth - there is no apparent nose. Even with a blindfold, there would be some suggestion of a nose, either pressing against the material of the blindfold itself or just beneath. Because the mouth is exaggerated, the viewer wonders if it is a mouth at all. Maybe a tongue inside… teeth? Personally, I’d go for a bit of nose, as it would help define the face more and help the viewer see it too.

Khan!:

I was also confused by the mouth. Although when I figured it out that it was a mouth it freaked me out quite considerably. It’s much clearer now that she’s painted. Maybe they cut off her nose-bits and pulled out all her teeth in addition to drowning her in the sacred lake? That would piss me off, were I an evil ghost.

Very cool!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ah, I think what confused me was that there appears to be a “beauty mark” which I mistook as an eye and also, from the angle of the picture, I thought the hole was to one side. After some time taken to realise the model wasn;t an eye, I saw it perfectly. I think in person it would be clearer as to the features, but it looks awesome. That’s the kind of sculpting and painting you do whilst waiting for another to dry? Hashut damn!

WarplockMonkey:

Ah, I think what confused me was that there appears to be a "beauty mark" which I mistook as an eye
You mistook it for an eye? Am i THAT bad a painter? :P

Any way, because there was so much confusion and wrong-end-of-stick grabbing on the mouth, i painted lipstick on the goddam thing! :)

But anywho, piccy's of my newly finished FSOD!!!

I apologise for the terrible pictures...it looks alot lot better in real life...

Whaddya think?

For now there is nothing planned....my inspirational pool has temporarily dried up...help me replenish it's potentially fruitful waters!! :P

- Warplock
1 Like

Kera foehunter:

great stuff i like the feathers i like the skink

torn:

thats skink is sooooo coooooooooool if i was a regular dwarf id buy you a pint of bugmans, but im not so you will have to stick with a slave.

is it just me or has he been corrupted by either tzeentch, or he is going to a Hawaiian beach party :stuck_out_tongue:

Kera foehunter:

ha ha bugman!! daft is the ale they drink. and we pirates steal that by the cases

Wait till the bugman boys see this there going to freak out.

so what nexts warplock?

WarplockMonkey:

torn: Noooooo he’s not from tzneetch OR hawaii, he has a ‘Cloak of Feathers’, which in game terms meens he can fly!

Oh the fun you can have with a flying skink…

My tactic is to go upto a unit of chosen khorne warriors, cast a pathetically weak spell and when they charge,fly away giggling to myself… using that tactic i can lead a unit right across to the other side of the board out of my hair, plus i get to see the look of anguish on my mates face as ‘that scaley bastard’ slips out of his fingers again!

I dont think i have ever killed a model with a flying skink, but i sure do cause a hell of alot of damage in others ways…usually its by my opponent banging his head on the table!

I imagine him on the model screaming KER-KAWWWW!

And as i said, my inspirtation reservoirs are dry! Hashut forbid! :o

Hashut’s Blessing:

That picture makes it look WORSE than it is?!?!?!?! has no way of describing the shock It’s frickin’ awesomely painted! Maybe create an objective marker of some really pssd off Khorne warriors or your opponents…

Grongi Blackbeard:

wooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooow !!!

well since you have quetzl saurus, you might make a stegadon that fits that theme as well! like a giant turtle or something