CDO Community Awards 2021!

Hello Chaos Dwarfs Online and welcome to the Community Awards 2021 thread.

Over the month of December, you, the users of this forum, will be allowed to nominate and vote for members of your community who you believe deserve recognition for their hard work, creativity, attitude and general brilliance.

At the start of the new year the winners of these awards will be announced and their achievement will receive a spot in the next issue of the Zine. As well as this they will receive a medal, designed by @Loidrial and shown here:

21E46816-6457-4EA0-954E-0AA5842A5137

What awards are available?

Best Hobby Blog: 21E46816-6457-4EA0-954E-0AA5842A5137This user has had an exciting, engaging and regularly updated hobby blog. Their conversions have inspired you, their paint jobs are a feast for the eyes and their output is staggering. You almost hate them. But they are just so damn talented. They deserve the award.

Best User:21E46816-6457-4EA0-954E-0AA5842A5137 This user is the true spirit of CDO. They are a constant source of positivity and encouragement. They spend time feeding back to other users, they always focus on what is best about the work of others and they generally make CDO a lovely place to be. If you saw this user, you’d definitely buy them a pint. But this is a forum and not a pub, so instead, you’ll give them this award.

Above and Beyond:21E46816-6457-4EA0-954E-0AA5842A5137 This user has done one or many things this year that are above and beyond what is expected of a member of this forum. Maybe they have dedicated time, energy and expertise towards improving the website and forum. Perhaps they have spread the news of this website far and wide to the wider world. What they have done is above and beyond what is expected of any website member. They deserve this recognition.

Best New User: 21E46816-6457-4EA0-954E-0AA5842A5137 They haven’t been here long, but by Hashut they have made an impact! This category is for user accounts under 1 years old. (The account…not the user…). This user has engaged well and rapidly become a positive influence in the community and looks set to continue to do so!

Best new hobby blog: 21E46816-6457-4EA0-954E-0AA5842A5137This award is for a hobby blog that is just starting out. It cannot be over one year old. This user has only just started documenting their path to Hashut, but it is a promising start and we hope to continue following it for years to come!

How does this work?

These awards do not require any formal “nomination” however, users may chose to comment below and share what users they think deserve awards and why. This doesn’t count as a vote. This just means you are publicly praising a forum user and telling them you think they are brilliant. You are also bringing their name and achievements to the attention of the voters. To vote, you need to simply send a message to @CommunityAwards explaining who you are voting for and for what award. You need to explain why, just names and awards are fine. They do not have to be users that have been nominated publicly on this thread. You may vote for multiple people for the same award. You do not have to vote in every category.

An example of how to vote

An example message to @CommunityAwards may read something like this:
Subject: Community Awards 2021
Best Hobby Blog: John Doe, Joe Bloggs
Best User: Brian Passman
Above and Beyond: None

How are winners selected?

The inbox of the @CommunityAwards will not be monitored until near the beginning of 2022. At this point, voting will close and the winners will be announced. A user may only win one award each. If a user has received top votes in two categories, the category with the most votes will be their winning category and the second highest ranking user in the other category will receive that award. In the case of a tie, assuming both users have not received an award in another category, they will both receive the award. Votes will be kept secret. You cannot ask how many votes you received. Well you can…you just wont be told!

When does nomination and voting start?

NOW! Comment below and tell us who you think is a hobby hero! Who has a brilliant blog?! Who is a super nice human being? Who has gone above and beyond this year? Nominate as many people as you like for each category below. Once ready, start sending your votes to @CommunityAwards .

Happy Voting. See you all in the new year for the awards!

10 Likes

A bit presumptuous of you Brian. Your subliminal self promotion will not be rewarded. I pass on you Mr. Passman

4 Likes

What about adding “Best New User” or “Best New Blog” categories for accounts/blogs under a year old? That could help spotlight folks that haven’t necessarily built up a large history but are promising up-and-comers?

4 Likes

@flagellant04 - Good shout. I’ll tell Brian.

2 Likes

@flagellant04 - Done

3 Likes

This is going to be hard.

2 Likes

Agreed! I’ll start us off with some nominations. Remember nominations ain’t votes, but they are a way of publicly praising people doing good things and bringing them to the attention of others.

I may vote for all, some or none of my nominations. (Not sure why I’d do the latter haha) I may also think
Of more later and nominate more later on. You may choose to publicly nominate people or not. You may rather sit back and read and vote your votes after some time.

But here are some of my initial thoughts:

New hobby blogs
@Bessron / @mr_hayward / @rollforwounds - all new hobby blogs I’m very invested in and enjoying watching grow.

Best new user
@Stumpy - very new user. Whirlwind of positivity. Dived head first into the community.
@Habitual_Lurker joined earlier this year and again, extremely positive member of our community.

Best Hobby blogs:
@Reaver - a beautifully curated blog with consistent high quality within. I think it may be the most viewed blog on our forum according to the charts and graphs in the admin tools. (legend has it that Jared has a nodding bird toy hitting the refresh button constantly on a pc somewhere to manufacture this result.)

@Zoddtheimmortal - the blog I spend the most time on and steal the most ideas from. Imitation is flattery etc etc. A constant source of inspiration.

@Zanko - an ever growing library of all things chaos dwarf. So much quality content representing years of work. And it’s still growing!

@Tyranno - a great example of the creativity we celebrate here. I’ve never seen such meticulously planned, sourced and built kitbashes and conversions. Everything within is a serious work of art.

Best User:
@Zanko - generosity personified. A decent, sharing and supportive dude. The stuff CDO is made of.

@Admiral - a man we owe a lot to. More than just the “competition monkey” as he calls it, admiral is the official CDO remembrancer and the one who kept much of the site going during a time of decline.

@Antenor @Jasko and @GhraskDragh : these dudes are great hobbyists, lovely blokes and always extremely positive in everything they post. each adds a lot to all areas of the discussion in all sections of the forum.

Above and Beyond:
@MichaelX since joining the staff you’ve achieved more than I think any single staff member has in their own for years. (The tech work/ email campaign/ massive content transfer/ work on the CDO meet-up etc)

@chitzkoi The outreach stuff he has done and hooking us up with known youtubers and podcasters has helped spread the word of Hashut further than we previously thought doable. A lot of new members wouldn’t have known about us If not for that work.

@Loidrial :cd1991gif: :cd1980: :lammasu2: and of course :spoon:. Need I say any more?

I’m sure I’ll think of more as time goes on. These are the first that sprung to mind!

13 Likes

hahaha i missed out on new user by like three weeks!

3 Likes

Hahahaha you’re a veteran now Chitz hahah

4 Likes

For me I just want to echo what Jac has said. Positivity is the name of the game and @Habitual_Lurker and @Stumpy have both come in and made it feel like they’re part of the fabric.

@Bessron has to be my man for a new blog. The way he uses colour is really fresh and unique, and the way he breaks down those small steps is truly impressive.

@Tyranno definitely deserves a shout-out for the sheer diversity of his kitbashing and the patience he always shows in sharing recipes and details of his work.

as for the grogs and their grogblogs… I’ve voted already, and I just want to say @Reaver , @MichaelX and @Oxymandias are the best group of people to have in your corner when you start hobbying from scratch. I feel like we’re so lucky to have the tone we manage (mostly…) to maintain in this community.

I couldn’t imagine stomping rats into potholes with my Wish.com hobgoblins any other way.

3 Likes

I second this nomination for @Tyranno . kitbashes and inspiration as far as my non-eye patched eye can see. plus 1 (or 9) servohauler kitbashes fitting right alongside Mesopotamian flavor!

I’ll toss @EvilFuzzyDoom 's Devoted of Hashut blog in for new blog of the year nomination. Subtractive carving, a unique approach on centaurs, exquisite beard sculpting, upcycled irondrakes. Check it out if you haven’t

also @MichaelX for hacker of the year obviously, or Grand Conservator of the Archive. His archaeological expedition was a complete success.

as for me. I’ll take just a spoonful of sandy eggs please.

I can hardly tell my pirate parrot what to do at this point. It has a mind of its own I tell you!
:egg: :repeat: :bird:

CDO has been a wonderful community with lots of exciting content this year in particular. There’s certainly plenty here to be thankful for and all here are deserving. Glad to see the awards come back and I’ve already enjoyed visiting or revisiting some of the great content mentioned in this thread.

5 Likes

Yes! A great nomination!

3 Likes

I second the nomination for MichaelX in the above and beyond category for his work in migrating the archives to our new ziggurat here.

I’d also like to nominate myself for the prestigious Useless Sardonic Git category. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

This is even harder to choose than the golden hats, you’re all brilliant. Just glad that a community like this exists, and I feel blessed to have stumbled upon it.

3 Likes

Oh damn. This is gonna be challenging!
I will have to think properly about it, and I’m not good at it XD

2 Likes

Oh this is a very important thread!

You’ve nominated good people here, I can very much agree!

For me these are the ones really standing out in the “above & beyond” category

• @Oxymandias, @Reaver, @MichaelX and @chitzkoi, your efforts with the Brazen podcast are outstanding. I mean yeah, we all love talking about this hobby and, I don’t know, three hours about Warhammer are like 15 minutes in real world time, but still, all the time and effort you put in are inspiring.
  • Likewise, @Oxymandias, @Loidrial and frankly everyone else involved (where, sadly, I don’t really know who else!) in the Brazen Bulletin, it’s fantastic how much we branch out these days.

I want to especially echo the praise on @chitzkoi and @MichaelX. Chitz’ community outreach (together with @Oxymandias on the Sotek podcast, of course) warms my heart. You display our community in the best possible light, what an invaluable contribution. And last but not least Michael, man, that archive thing you did, the email campaign, now forming the spear tip for our meetup, what a herculean task! Plus what a champ on a personal level.

Well thank you very much, much too kind on my part :pray:

4 Likes

Guys… you are making me blush…

I love you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Save that for your acceptance speech at the awards ceremony. :wink:

3 Likes

Given the general level of negativity and unpleasantness that characterises much of the internet, I feel genuinely blessed to have found this little oasis of positivity.
I think each and every member of this community of ours deserves an award, but then again, we have one, don’t we?

The award is being a member of this community.

Thank you all for being so fricking awesome.

9 Likes

I dont need to win anything to apprecieate being appreciated… :slight_smile:

4 Likes