Conversion potential for new Hobgrot Slittaz

Thanks guys. It took about 30 minutes, I think I can do better next time. Definitely should have done the scale before putting the armour on, but hey, you lives and learns.
Oh, and don’t worry Zodd, I have something planned for the Golden Hat. This may or may not have been just a practice run!

4 Likes

The only sad thing is that the arms and neck look even longer :frowning: Good thing about that is that you could easily add a hump if you want^^

5 Likes

Aye, I was thinking maybe pauldrons of some kind to build the shoulders up, and I guess it would be easy enough to shorten the limbs, the arms don’t bother me overly though.

1 Like

For a 30 mins work this is great! It’s quite exactly what I had In mind when I altered the drawing few comments above!
I do like them more and more every day I gave to say
Especially after yesterday whfb9 confirmed announce! :hob2020:

4 Likes

Great work there mate

2 Likes

Brilliant proof of concept!

1 Like

Great work! I’ll be very happy if my first sculpted suit of scale mail looks like this. He’ll look great painted. :hatoff:

This model’s neck is quite long (and so are the others’ too, I think). If you want them to look more old-style, you could cut off the head, remove the neck, glue the head to the front of the torso so that it sits not above but between the shoulders (that gives the impression of a stoop, many old GW minis do that) and put a slab of GS onto the back for a hump. The hump plus all cuts and transitions get covered by the scale mail anyway. In any case, that’s how I think I’d do it - just throwing ideas. :smile:

4 Likes

See (unpopular opinion incoming) I really like the proportions on these new models. The only thing I’m not sold of is the ropes. Mostly because they wouldn’t suit my army. But I’ve never collected hobgobs before so maybe I have less nostalgia to influence my feelings ?

3 Likes

I’ll second that, for the Kruleboyz too I’m a fan of this weird proportion things they got going on. It is definitely a bit jarring at first, I’m certainly a fan of the range now though

The only thing I’m not to keen is the ropes for painting and that’s all, you just know looking at the they will be fuss to paint :unamused::grin:

4 Likes

I’m with Oxy here, these hobgrots look more like their own thing and less like just taller goblins than the old ones do. Don’t get me wrong, I love the old-school ones too, but the new proportions do help them stand out amongst the other greenskins more, I think.

4 Likes

I think he looks pretty good painted.

Putting scale on them is definitely doable, I wish i’d thought of it before I glued the armour plates on though, I reckon they’ll look awesome done that way.
Not too difficult, even for a novice sculptor like me, can’t wait to see what some of you pros come up with.

15 Likes

@Freakshow668 this would do really well in the current GH. The fact you’ve got something more planned both impresses and terrifies me hahah

Outstanding work well done

1 Like

Very very tempting given how dirt cheap they are right now. How do they compare scalewise?

@Freakshow668 Very nice execution, cannot wait for more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazing job, these look great

3 Likes

@Anzu

You’ll find an answer here from @Troll-Knoll :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Oxy, there goes my self-restraint…

4 Likes

Oh FFS he’s great! You aced him in just 30 mins sculpt!! Now I feel like I wanna try xD and I never sculpted
Nor do I have them at hands yet
Great! I really like him!

4 Likes

Although the conversion is great, the new GW Hobgoblins (as well as the old 4th Edition Hobgoblins) don’t appeal to me either. I can’t really put it into words, it’s just the way it is.

Nevertheless, brilliant Green Stuff work! :beer:

PS: The painting is cool too! :metal:

4 Likes

So I am actually thinking the new hobgrots will make cool slingers. In my mind the slingers are the lowest in the totem pole so having little armour held together by rope and forced to run out front of the rest of the army with only their sling works for me in the 9th age

8 Likes

I absolutely love this idea. Slingers have been a mainstay in a lot of ancient armies, the assyrians used them as well. Here is a relief from the British museum

Photograph by Mike Peel (www.mikepeel.net), licensed under CC-BY-SA-4.0

Plus, they would be much easier to convert than archer hobgobs. Dammit, I think I need to order some more of these guys soon.

6 Likes