Dedleds Bar Ungol Vanguard, GoldenHat XXXVIII

I finally signed up to the discourse after lurking on the old Forums for years.

Chaos Dwarves have always been a project I wanted to work on but for one reason or another never got around to it.

I’d like to make each mini 1 at a time and follow them throught to completion before I start the next one. Working on my sculpting and painting along the way. I’ll shoot for a grimmer take on the vintage Oldhammer look, hopefully I can pull it off.

Thanks for stopping by.

:anvil: :anvilskull: :anvil: :anvilskull: :anvil:

The Bar Ungol Vanguard

Bar Ungol, the Dark Gate

Lore

In Progress

Culture

Lore

In Progress

Religion

Lore

The Bar Ungol Vanguard are religiously overseen by three Prophets who are in turn assisted in everyday worship by the Berserker priesthood of Hashut.
Worship and sacrifice by the Vanguard takes 2 primary forms; the first is linked to the Vanguards engineering guild, the sacrifice will be conducted in one of the great forges during the creation of a machine of war to imbue it with the rage of Hashut. The second is through feasting followed by ritual incense burning and inhalation, which is often conducted prior to a larger scouting party into the depths of the Gate.
Ux’ltax’l Roth is revered as the personification of Hashut and provides guidance to the Prophets.

Technology and Artillery

Lore

Bar Ungol has many abandoned forges and vaults throughout its bizarre levels. As the Vanguard discover these they are often found to contain long lost artefacts and technology. Over the centuries this has led to a number of infernal engineers claiming the forges for their personal use, for experimentation with crafting and Daemon binding.
As a result, the Vanguard, whilst low on manpower have a relatively high number of warmachines and artillery.

Berserker Priests

Lore

Isolation and extended periods absent from Zharr-Naggrund have resulted in the the Bar Ungol Vanguard having a fewer number of Prophets to oversee worship of Hashut.
This brought about the introduction of the Priesthood of Hashut, where selected devout Dawi Zharr journey through the 3 gates and seek the Altar of Hashut, where Ux’ltax’l Roth resides. If the aspirants return from this pilgrimage they are given the title Berserker Priest and assist the Prophets with worship and sacrifice.
Working themselves into a frenzy through ritual chanting and incense burning prior to battle, the Berserker priests fling themselves at the enemy with little regard for anything but honoring the great bull god through excess slaughter.

Pictures

Ux’ltax’l Roth

Lore

When Belzenath Rageforger first stepped through the Duskdoor into Bar Ungol he was spoken to. A dark voice speaking in ancient tongues guided him deep into the belly of the mountain fortress. It was here in a glowing grotto that he was found by Ux’ltax’l, the Father of the Deep Dark. What secrets were whispered remain a mystery, but when he emerged years later, Belzenath was no longer the same Dawi Zharr.
Seen as an ancestor spirit and an Avatar of Hashut, Ux’ltax’l Roth now sits at the deepest Altar of Bar Ungol. The devoted must pass through all 3 gates to reach this altar.

It is said that few chosen will hear the whispers of the Lammasu on their pilgrimage, these are indeed blessed for greatness.

Pictures

18 Likes

Welcome! I’m glad you’ve decided to post! Very delicate sculpting skills on display here. And that hat-helm is sure to please many folk.

Excited to see more
:rankcd1::rankcd2::rankcd3:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a very ambitious project! I really hope you see it trough!

I like the style so far!

Very happy you went from lurker to active, wel one to the fray.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, great that you decided to join! Very impressive anatomical sculpting. I also really like the style of the conversion so far, the basic shape of that hat/helmet already looks very promising (@Reaver you’re right mate :hatoff:). I’m looking forward to seeing more of this project!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Dedled. Excellent sculpting there, those feet are particularly impressive. Can’t wait to see more of this project.

3 Likes

Wow the hat helm is really nice. The feet! Great skills.

4 Likes

Exquisite sculpting there! Welcome aboard. This looks to be a log to savour.

3 Likes

Great work!

2 Likes

Wow, some great sculpting on display here! Great job, and welcome!

2 Likes

Thanks all for the kind words.

I finished the sculpting off today and plan to give him a spray tomorrow and get stuck into the painting.

If anyones interested heres a parts breakdown;

Helmet is a Perry miniatures Knight helm with a 3d printed funnel on top.

Body and axe haft are both from the Fyreslayers Hearthguard kit.

The arms are from the wildman beasthunter Warcry kit, I can’t remember the exact name.

I’m trying to mess wIth the scale a bit which is why I changed the arms and resculpted the feet.

Cheers,
Dedled

12 Likes

Well, first one down. I last minute decided to add some extra detailing to the helmet with some plasticard and greenstuff. I got rid of the eyeholes in the helmet just to add a bit more weird to him.

I was also tossing up how to paint them, either pale dirty and grimdark, or a more traditional flesh colour with a flashy hat…the flashy hat won out.

Grazboroth Matan, Dawi-Zharr Berserker priest.
Working themselves into a frenzy through ritual chanting and incense burning the Berserker priests don full face helmets and rely on heightened senses that only true devotion to Hashut can provide.

Time to start building the next one.

Cheers,
Dedled

18 Likes

Great model and really impressive work! :hatoff:

2 Likes

You forgot some quotes :rofl:

Impressive “work” is what you meant, right?

2 Likes

Worryingly good sculpting and painting there. Would be terrifying to face, particularly for gnoblars.

5 Likes

Love the intent you put into his actions with the midstride sculpt. Very dynamic! Impressive display of anatomy and movement. Let alone great putty work. If I saw a group of those guys barreling towards me I think I’d throw my weapons and run away!

3 Likes

Thanks mate, yer the hardest bit is probably getting the flow of movement right, its really obvious on a skyclad mini if it isn’t right

3 Likes

Sky clad ? What a nice euphemism!

2 Likes

Treated myself to a bit of history. Picked it up for a good price and its in perfect condition.

I’ve started the next Berserker, at this stage I’m thinking I’ll do 5, then do up a scenic base for them and use them as regular Bull centaurs. I’d like to use them as Berserkers, but theres no way Ill be able to maintain the rage sculpting feet and junk for long enough to get 10 done. Plus having 5 on a big base could be a cool centrepiece.

Dedled

12 Likes

Alright, next one built and ready to slap some paint on, I went with a more traditional hat on this bloke. Really enjoying coming up with ideas for hat and beard ornamentation.

:hat:

Dedled

13 Likes

Nice work again! From my slow sculpting perspective seems like you cranked that second one out in short order. Soon there will be legions of them!

3 Likes