Denelian5 - Chaos Dwarfs in the 9th age

So, apparently I sculpted this guy to go with my second “flame thrower”. I’m quite happy with the outcome but he is a bit bulky (with a bit too much neck) and the hands could be better but anywho ^^

Here somewhat together with the dragon, and I’ll probably use it with this here fantastic printed hat:

The sculpt was made in Super Sculpey and took a couple of hours to finish. I really liked working in Super Sculpey 'cause I didn’t have to wait for stuff to dry and harden. On the other hand it was a bit tricky since the clay wanted to move about the wire skeleton. I think I’ll try putting super glue on the skeleton and then add a first layer of Super Sculpey or look into the possibility of partial bakes.

Now for a final thought… do I simply use the model as is… or… do I look into mould making and try to cast myself a copy? :wink: Decisions decisions ^^

9 Likes

Great Sculpt! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Ive tried Super Sculpt as well before, but found it to be too brittle unfortunately… Though there are for example Beesputty with cure in the oven, it can be mixed with GS as well.
When using Super Sculpty, Beesputty or similar Ive added a tiny layer of Greenstuff to the wire skeleton and then a thin layer of Beesputty and leave it for the Greenstuff to cure. That way it sticks to the frame without any problem and you can keep working on it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really liking the sculpt! Well done. Are you doing your guys with tusks?

1 Like

Great sculpting! Love the scale armour, it looks really authentic compared to 5th edition CDs. That hat would suit him nicely. Also, you did a great job on the face. And I really like his hook! Did that perchance start out as a Breton fleur-de-lys? :relaxed:

1 Like

Cast it! Cast it! Cast it!

giphy

2 Likes

Cool looking guy! :japanese_ogre: Kudos! :metal:

1 Like

Generally yes, but I was looking at the 4th edition Death Shrieker Rocket crew man used for my other flame thrower dragon while sculpting this one. I didn’t realise the tusks were missing until I’d baked him :stuck_out_tongue: Apparently the tusks aren’t showing on the original crew man and I copied that^^

The hook is sort of a wink to the old “Chaos Dwarf Beastmaster” model who’'s got one just like it. So I thought to myself, a dragon’s a beast right? So he should have a real handlers hook :wink:

It started out as a spare piece of the old GW modular movement trays, some sketching and knife work later - ta daa!

1 Like

Thanks!

Oops I did it again… sculpted another stunty :wink:

The axe shaft is a tad long (but that’s what I get for not measuring distance between his hands), and the arms might be on the long end of the spectrum. If I make another one with a two hand grip I’ll make sure to raise the axe to a steeper angle :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Great looking sculpt again though, that axe is brutal!!

It’s good your so hard on yourself as it’ll improve you no end, because I’m looking at it thinking that’s amazing I wish I could sculpt that and your looking at it thinking I’m going to change this and then that and then this…, Can’t wait to see them painted!

1 Like

These sculpts are superb! I like them alot, are you aiming to cast them or just fun one offs? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I only have experience with bronze casting, making oil sand molds and that’s not quite fitting for these I think :wink: But I’m tempted to check out what I would need to cast them (or find someone who’d be willing to help me^^).

The first one I made as a one of, but during the making process I took some steps to prepare it for casting (adding a slot beneath it etc). On the second one the axe is actually loose since I want to try some different weapons out.

So the answer to your question is: I don’t know yet but I’m intrigued by the thought of casting them :slight_smile:

These are looking great! The faces are coming out beautifully. You should definitely look into casting!

1 Like

Stunning stuff! But it’s very annoying to click open all these areas! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Jupp, agree… Its much easier to view with all photos in the thread IMO. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Xander
@tjub

Thanks!
Hmm… maybe I’ve gone a bit overboard with the structuring, which can be as annoying (if not more ) than no structure. I find pros and cons in both systems… my idea was to first set up a gallery of sorts at the top and then add new content in more fluent posts… But I know I haven’t followed through 100% .

Do you think it would work better with separate posts with just a headline for army entry and then pictures of all of them beneath that(wips and finished after one another)?

Aaand nr 3:

Same axe as the last one, haven’t finished any new weapons. Hands are hard though… but maybe it’s just because I only use one tool that’s kinda oversized for detail work :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Hands are hard, until you get the hang of it. There are plenty of tutorials online. But yours look good though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So… collected this guy from the post office today, he will be my Kadim Titan (yes that is 100*150 mm base beneath him :wink: ) :

Courtesy of Sandstorm Miniature KS “Monsters of the Cave that was”. I might replace the Cow skull on his stomach plate with some other symbol but otherwise I’m more than happy with the sculpt.

I’ll also throw a bad pic bone in here with a paint WiP of my first Infernal Giant :

Happy Midsummer to all of you!

10 Likes