Fuggit Khans Big Hats, Big Teeth n' Big Noses blog

Well, here’s my entry that I made and entered for Golden Hat XXXVIII…

This was just a super fast, sloppy and fun entry, I didn’t try to make anything worthy of winning. I just wanted to have fun, which really is what hobbies should be all about, right?
The idea stemmed from my first idea for the previous GH, which was devoted to the most noble of all Hashuts devotees, the honorable and fearsome Hobgoblin.
Insert standard Fuggit Khan disclaimer here:
“Hail Hashut. Hail Hobgoblins”

Anyways, in that GH my original idea was to make some old school metal Hobgoblins killing and pissing on a pile of dead hobgrots.
So for this GH, I thought again about resurrecting that idea…but changed it to a drunken CD drinking napalm beer and pissing napalm on a pile of dead hobgrots.
I also had a four day long 102 degree fever from covid during that time, so perhaps that explains my entry too :grin:
The CD was just a super fast green stuff sculpt, as seen here in pics

I decided against actually sculpting his (you know what) because my girlfriends 10 year old daughter enjoys sitting down with me at my modeling table and watching me sculpt and build models. And I decided to keep it clean for good reasons (although the Thai definitely love bathroom humor).

Next I gave him one of the metal Big Hats that I sculpted for Admiralty Miniatures

Then I gave him what I dubbed the “bearded sack”

Finally a very quick paint job…as a very fast shortcut his backside had no details sculpted, and no paint.

The barrel of Napalm Beer is a part from Lego, again just a fast shortcut instead of making something.
The funnest part was chopping up hobgrots and piling them up. And naturally they’re on a round base. Because this grumpy old Hobgoblin hates hobgrots and round bases.
No worries at all to everyone who loves them, this is just my personal opinion, no doubt plenty of people think I’m an idiot for loving square bases, to each their own :grin:

And just like the pissed CD, the pile of hobgrots is only one sided. There’s no bodies on the reverse side, and no paint either.
So there you have it.
Drunken contemptuous CD pissing napalm on degenerate hobgrots. I hope everyone had a good laugh, I definitely laughed quite a few times while making this entry, not sure if it was because of my dislike of AoS, or just delirious from fever :face_with_thermometer:

23 Likes

‘The bearded sack!!!’ :cd1991gif: :cd1991gif:

I totally missed that detail, love the sculpt man, great work on how smooth and how much hatred is in his face.

6 Likes

This was probably going to be some white dwarf insert from 1997, pretty sure of it!. :beer:
What’s amazing for me is that you can swap from building such a huge ass fucking ship as big as a toddler, to a curly sack.
I can’t even make worms with greenstuff lol
:cd1991gif: BRAVO! :cd1991gif: :beers: :fire:

5 Likes

What can I say, I loved this entry. You had my vote. And don’t you dare call that greenstuff sculpt “just super fast”!

3 Likes

This has one upped me from my fart drawing. Loves it.

3 Likes

Brilliantly done! Also completely missed the ‘curly sack’. Great humor and amazing for a quick sculpt. I also find the entire only painted what you can see part quite interesting. I’ve never even considered doing that (just realized that is not true actually, Ha!.. the underside of the wings of my mechanical flying Taurus are just the grey base coat). Well it is a great way to finish a speedy entry!

3 Likes

Hahaha, wonderful stuff here! I laughed and laughed when I first saw it. For the record, I immediately spotted the curled groin beard, and it was my favourite detail in this wacky creation of yours.

Truly the fevered work of a demented genius! Nurgle’s blessing did not impede your creativity. :smiley:

Also, my Elf spy was done in competition with whatever fun entry you were cooking up, and it’s great to see so different takes on humour. The sky is the limit, and the hobby is meant to be fun.

And excellent Hobgoblin conversion tutorials you have ongoing here! Slick, smooth and flawless! Do you mind if I later on (energy allowing) copy them out and repost them in our tutorial section, once you call it done? All due credit and linking to you, of course.

3 Likes

Oh I had to vote for this one. Fantastic.

2 Likes

One of my favorite entires… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Great on so many levels!

2 Likes

Sir, your contempt for the new hobgrot models is getting a bit out of hand :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you everyone, I’m glad people had a good laugh, I know that I did.
@Admiral
Feel free to make a tutorial post (thank you!), I may eventually get around to it myself, but no promises as to when I would…we Hobgoblins prefer to skulk in the shadows with no warning of when we’ll pop up :hocho:

@Hashoooot
:joy:
Oh, my contempt has no bounds. I actually did set the pile of hobgrots on fire afterwards. No napalm, just good old fashioned model glue and a match :fire:

So, continuing with my Frostgrave Demon and hobgrot conversion of a Hobgoblin with a crossbow.
While I know that Hobgoblins are traditionally associated with bows, I prefer the look (and history) of a crossbow.
And let’s not forget that the old school helm CDs had crossbows, so it does fit the army. But also it fits my love of military history…and crossbows were considered a dishonorable weapon, a choice of peasants and thugs, who could easily kill a knight on the field.
Historical context:
In 1096 Pope Urban II banned the use of crossbows, stating it was “A weapon that could end civilization”.
In 1123 Canon XXVIIII of the Second Lateran Council enacted a decree stating “We forbid under penalty of anathema that the deadly and God detested art of stingers (crossbows) shall not be used against Christians and Catholics”.
Obviously, the clergy and lords of the lands were worried about the common folk having access to a simple to use weapon that could indiscriminately kill the upper class.
Which fits fine for Hobgoblins
:skull:
So, more work on him…
I gave him some green stuff sleeves:

Next I wanted to give him the hobgrot head that has an eye patch. Because let’s face it, greenskin archers can’t ever hit the broadside of a barn.
Plus it’s just fun to have a one eyed “marksman”

Glued on the modified head, a crossbow quiver and a trusty dagger, and he’s done!

Oh, and I gave him a fifth toe.
Hope you like him :hob05:

16 Likes

Same vibe as the 1 eyed archer from helm’s deep scene.
Well done James!!

3 Likes

Love these conversions every time I see them :hatoff:

1 Like

As we all know, Hobgoblins and wolves go together like a rusty knife in the back.
Hashut’s most favored, the noble and fearsome Hobgoblin, must ride!
So, I decided to look for plastic wolves for my hobgrot conversions. The old school 90’s GW wolves are a favorite of mine, but they’re getting a bit hard to find in large numbers, and they’re getting a bit pricey as well. And I want quick and affordable alternatives…lots of people go with the GW fenrisian (did I spell that right?) wolves. But not me, because when I look at them I don’t see a wolf, I only see a pissed off wet cat:
IMG_25650317_154220

Be honest, admit it, fenrisian wolves are wet house cats.

So my next thought was maybe using the GW lotr Fell Wargs:

But no.
Because looking at them, they look like the love child of a greyhound dog that got knocked up by a camel.
Seriously, imagine the offspring of these two:

IMG_25650317_153341

But what the hell, let’s give the little bastard love child (fell warg) a chance I thought
:thinking:

So here’s one, they got an odd camel humpback and long stretched out body:

So I hacked him in half, and slowly cut away his midsection to readjust his overall proportions. I ended up cutting it all the way back to the dashed red line:

And then I glued the two halves together.
I think it looks more like a wolf now, needs green stuff and a saddle, but you get the idea:

Am I happy with it?
No.
Because I want a quick and easy conversion that everyone can do, and this wolf is fast becoming a bit more work than I had expected, or wanted to do.

So now my next plan is to check out the Oathmark wolves…they’re quite affordable and look more like a wolf without all the hassle.
images (18)

I’ll keep you posted on them
:hob05:

15 Likes

Very nice revision. Looks way more wolf-like in shape! Look forward to watching what you do with these… If you do them.

2 Likes

genius!

1 Like

the Oathmark wolves have another plus: you can use the goblin as hobgoblin. They just need a few re-touches but they already look excellent :smiley:
Two birds with one stone :wink:

4 Likes

More progress on my slow but steady hobgrot conversions…another Hobgoblin axe murderer (meant to say noble Hobgoblin):

Changed the wrist and arm position a bit:

More green stuff to sculpt Hobgoblin sleeves…

And a green stuff Scythian cap added to the hobgrot head

Now he’s got a friend.
Although he’s watching his own back :hocho:

And checking out the wolves from North Star Miniatures…these are really nice. I just received them in the mail yesterday and I’m very impressed by them.
Way the f@#* better than GW wolves.
Yeah, I’m an opinionated old fart.
But seriously, these actually look like wolves, and they’re the perfect size too. Very affordable and they’ll be the start of my Hobgoblin wolf riders

I’m also loving that they’re balanced and can stand up on their own (more life like in my opinion when miniatures can stand balanced)

And lastly, my Hobgoblins need a musician to herald their triumphant march “To War!”

I’ve always loved the old school Hobgoblin musician with the horn:
IMG_25650408_180225

So I want to convert a miserable hobgrot into something similar. There’s a hobgrot with a horn already…but I’m not 100% happy with it.
I think as is, it’s too big and clumsy looking (reminds me of something from Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band), and I don’t like the ropes hanging on it either.
So I cut off the ropes and also cut the horn in half at the red lines:

I tossed out the center section after cutting it up

Glued together the two smaller sections, and now it looks much more like the old school Hobgoblin musician horn.

And glued to the Frostgrave Demons torso, along with an axe hanging from his belt.
He’s coming along nicely I think

As always, thanks for dropping by and hope you like everything so far :hob01:

21 Likes

TOOT! :saxophone:

3 Likes

I agree on the wolves, they look pretty neat – which NSM range are they from specifically? Oathmark? EDIT: Sorry, I failed my stupidity check – I did not see your previous post. As others have said, great work. This horn blower is definitely an improvement over the original. :slight_smile:

4 Likes