Golden Hat XXXVII: Hobgoblins

“Watch yer back for sneaky gits…”

Warcolours Presents: The 37th Golden Hat competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by Warcolours! The gold winner will receive a €30 store coupon at Warcolours, courtesy of @warcolours :

The silver winner will receive a kit of Hook Monster, sculpted and donated by @ATOM :

While one lucky random participant will carry home a kit of Tjubgob Command Set #1 from @Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

Likewise, another lucky random entrant will receive a kit of Big Hats of the Dark Bell Tower, courtesy of @Fuggit_Khan :

Subject Matter: Hobgoblins!

For this contest we want you to enter with one or more Hobgoblins, however you imagine them to be.

The scope is wide and free: Arm them any way you like, mount them on rides, have them crew warmachines or ships, form regiments and feel free to build dioramas: Pit them against enemies; depict bloody murder animosity; have them compete in a knife-throwing contest; or have them accompany, report to or backstab their short, bearded and angry masters. If you wish your Hobgoblins to be attended by a meatshield of shackled Goblins or of maimed Orc slaves, then go for it. You can enter as many Hobgoblins as you feel like, including an entire army of many units.

Feel free to go to town with all manner of terrain to truly build up a scene. Make your Hobgoblin be possessed by Chaos Daemons, be eaten by them, roast Halflings on a spit or be ripped apart by rebellious slaves if you feel like it. Keep it as simple or as complicated as you like with these devils from the steppe. Let your imagination run wild!

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact @Admiral and he’ll sort it out with the rest of the Staff.

Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion. You may include plinths and display bases if you want. You may include fancy backgrounds. We want to encourage the creation of beautiful models and modelling scenes, not hamper it.

If you are looking for weird inspiration, then know that there exist various Hobgoblin army books out there complete with oddball Hobgoblin units and background snippets, including @thommyh 's Hobgoblin army list for Warhammer Fantasy Battle (we cannot find the link at the moment; please help if you know where to find it) @tjub 's Tjubgob Army List for Kings of War, and @Tyranno 's official Hobgoblin supplement for the Ninth Age.

Specifics
Subject: Hobgoblins
Bases: Up to your discretion.
The Due Date: 11:59 PM September 26th, 2021 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent either to the @GoldenHat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 8 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @Admiral . In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur or with this forum’s direct upload function. Photos may not have additional digital text or items/models unrelated to your entry. Next, send a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Golden Hat Gallery.
  • Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona.
  • Win paints and miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!

The Staff

9 Likes

If only games workshop still made hob….wait

8 Likes

Very on topic, it’s very open which should make for some great entries

2 Likes

I will not stand for roasted Halflings, and anyone who will enter one will be my nemesis for life!

;p

Sounds like a cool subject. I have a pile of Hobgobs so should be able to think up a cool entry.

4 Likes

Back to Golden Hat after so many years? Why not, after all I love hobbos and I need an extra unit of 25…so why not :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Great topic planning has begun on a big entry

1 Like

Oh shit! Now I only need to receive my new ones xD this time I will finally partecipate for sure!

3 Likes

Glad to hear it Eddy!

1 Like

I’ve been saying that for 36 Golden Hats so far :cd1991gif:
Hope you do better than me

4 Likes

Well cmon, I partecipated at… 3 golden hats? 2? 1 for sure because I won it xD but probably that was just it ahhahaha
:hob2020: let’s see what I’ll do with these gentlemen

4 Likes

Oh boy! What a nice classic theme! Let’s go gentlemen!!! :hatoff:

3 Likes

We also shared it on Instagram page xD who knows, maybe we can get more affiliates (aka slaves ofc)

3 Likes

An idea immediately occurred to me…but it requires a couple of those atrocities that GW currently is selling as “hobgoblins”.
And my (contemptuous) pride refuses to purchase any of them.
So I’ll probably sit this one out…but I do have a few unpainted 4th edition Hobgoblins sitting in a box, so maybe they’ll make an appearance.
But nice to see a Golden Hat honoring the noble Hobgoblin!

6 Likes

:see_no_evil::joy::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::joy::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

5 Likes

You know you can always cut off their armour and garb and sculpt your own clothes for them? Kind of like one of those girls’ dressing dolls? :tongue:

The anatomy of the new Hobgoblins is surprisingly true to the 1990s ones. I had not expected them to stick that close to the classic ones. Switch the clothes and I promise you’ll spot the resemblance.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m with you on this one @Admiral Enough classic to be recognised. Enough new to get my attention. After seeing @Tyranno rank them on 20s i was sold.

We don’t NEED new official attention. Weve thrived without it. But a rising tide raises all ships. This is the start of something good for us as a community.

Xarathustra has a few words of wisdom on this topic i believe: Whfb/AoS - Thus Spoke Xarathustra pt 8 - #2 by GhraskDragh

2 Likes

Swap clothes, put a long wig on and let them call you Samantha.
:hobkhan: They will be fine, you will be fine :hob2020:

3 Likes

So … After a long search I have found a Hobgoblin gang! I hope they look as good in person as they do on the website … let’s see! :wink:

5 Likes

I did think of you not having any hobbos (because you gave them all away) and not liking the gw ones. I wondered what you might do…

2 Likes

I dare you to do a hobo in drag, samantha in a blond wig haha, good blood bowl cheer leader?

4 Likes