Grim Dark Chaos Dwarfs

Cheers guys, I like how it has turned out so far I’ll push the grim darkness now on the armour and stuff just to try and help them fit in a bit more with the rest of the army.

First couple of days work in, got some 12hr shifts now until the weekend so I’ll pick it back up again then

Progress as it stands

Some paint down on the Bull boys, painted black over a lot of areas I wanted to repaint the sorcerer (I think the skin will need redoing too to bring it more inline with the rest of the models) and got the very familiar for me warrior setup ready to batch paint. I’m looking forward to that

I know the Grotesque being included in the One Page Rules list is a nod to Kings of War Abyssal Dwarfs bit I’m not really a fan of those minis so I’ve been thinking what I could use instead.
I love the idea of mixing monsters into this list like the old days, I think white armour and red icons I’ve done are also pretty creepy so right now I’m thinking spiders? Maybe the amazing new bat models for the Soulblight Gravelords?
Any other ideas you guys think are worth a try and would for into that theme?

8 Likes

With the red skin tone of your bull centaurs id be thinking mounted juggernaughts , maybe a shaggoth or cyclops, even trolls or minotaurs.

Minotaurs go well with cds.
Im not sure i could connect cds to spiders but interested to see ehat you come up with

2 Likes

I don’t know the rules on grotesques but if powerful enough a red skinned themed Ghorgon might be nice

2 Likes

Thanks both,

I could have said more about them, the Grotesque are 3 strong unit, monster size with poison attack, hence why I wanted to go down a more creepy route though I always loved those Dragon ogre and Minotaur models :thinking:

I know it’s a bit outside the lore but I don’t always go straight down the line with bulls and Hashut, I’m very open to these guys being more general Chaos and Monsters like the original Citadel Marauders were so I think it’s why I can easily see other things like huge bats and giant spiders fighting along side these.

Plus I also don’t think I mentioned a friend of mind has designed some dungeon stone bases which I’m planning to paint up as black as if these guys all dwell some deep below the surface, making the glow from the weapons more impactful.

Got a little done today, filled in some metals and leather on the first bull. Still a way to go yet

The back was looking a bit plain too, so tried out a bit of that pattern I mentioned

Also did a bit more to the skin of the Sorcerer, tried to push the pale and red, may still need a bit of work I think

11 Likes

Those Bull Centaurs are coming along amazing. One of the best palettes that I have seen. Lovin’ the scheme.

3 Likes

Thanks @Jackswift
It’s nice to be back painting Chaos Dwarfs again and to find these schemes that are working for me, being an over thinker it’s really hard to land on schemes I’m happy with so I’ll hopefully get a little more done today at some point

1 Like

Airbrush and decal time, such a nice step as with not so much work you get an awful lot done, feels a lot closer to getting finished

I couldn’t make my mind up on models for the Grotesque options so I changed the list a little as I’ve always known what I want to do for my K’daai or Flame Spirits

5 Likes

Test model of the Fire Spirit, haven’t done the weapons yet, not sure to keep them as flame effect of maybe go for a black/obsidian?

9 Likes

Sweet paintjobs all around! Especially on the Bull Centaurs. I think the blades would look better as obsidian or some other colour. The flame colours would to well to have something else to contrast against.

1 Like

Cheers @Admiral I thought it would contrast nicely with the Dwarfs having their weapons glowing too, to have theirs be dull dark metal

1 Like

Lovely fire spirits. I am with Admiral too. The weapons should clash/standout.

1 Like

Cheers @Uther.the.unhinged I went for it and gave some just plain black on the weapons and added some black to the tips of the flames too which I think brings them inline a bit more with the rest of the Chaos Dwarfs

Also nearly finished the Sorcerer now, just some last bits and pieces

14 Likes

great! i love the little alteration on the blade! sooooo good!

4 Likes

Thank you @Loidrial

My first, and unexpected I think, conversion from the Hobgrot hobgoblin left overs

7 Likes

That looks sweet, love it.

1 Like

very well done and a cool idea! Spirit hosts are such a useful kit!

1 Like

Progress is strong, I’m in the very bitty part now though doing things like picking out details in the Bull Centaur beards and filing in black details on the warriors :hashut1:

Even though there seems like a lot left soon the airbrush will be back out for the glowing weapons and fires spirits and that will take a big chunk of the work so I need to keep in mind that will be a quicker stage

At the risk of being a bit repetitive I thought is post some pics I took for @Loidrial of some of the older Warriors, it actually served as really good inspiration for powering through the less fun parts of batch painting

13 Likes

pls keep being repetitive! looks great!!!

1 Like

Thanks @Loidrial

Last post before the end of July, the project is looking awfully close to getting done :crossed_fingers:t2:

13 Likes

i shouldnt have pushed you.
now i’m envy…

1 Like