Grim Dark Chaos Dwarfs

As July comes to a close I’m happy to report I actually finished a thing!! Woop woop

Completed the 750pts list I sent out to complete at the beginning of the month

I’ll take some proper pics soon but I’ll say now it feels amazing to complete that one, super happy. This is only the second month I’ve decided to break these down into monthly chunks so it feels good to achieve one as last month I didn’t and 2 in a row would have had me questioning if it was a good idea :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I took some ‘army painting’ approaches which I’m also not used to, by which I mean not everything is completed the way I would like to a single mini but it is done to a standard I’m happy to put on the table across the whole army. I can always go back and touch up little bits but even if I don’t go back I think these guys look good enough to play with.
The feeling of completing the Monthly Project far outweighs the feeling of not having done some of the little details that would have held me up before. I need to hold onto that for the next one

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

11 Likes

Congrats on finding your painting mojo! The little force looks great

1 Like

Phenomenal work, beautiful.

1 Like

Cheers both,

Got some more pics of individual units for the library

15 Likes

A joy to behold.

2 Likes

Wow, super nicely done color and lighting :heart_eyes: I wish I could do that :wink:

4 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Really great

2 Likes

Cheers guys and thanks @Hashoooot ! Long time no see :+1:t2::vulcan_salute:t2:

With 3.0 out now and looking like loads of fun as well as the OnePageRules game I’m also writing up a List for AoS with the Cities of Sigmar book (thanks to those that recommended it, it’s been game changer!)
I’m really enjoying finding different ways to incorporate the Chaos Dwarf minis, though it’s a little tricky to get the correct base sizes, and I’ve managed to write up to. 2000pt list without having to buy anything new…a huge victory for the Battle Against the Grey :grin:
So after a couple of different interpretations this is where I’m at right right now below, with further changes coming in the future I’m sure.

With Cities of Sigmar you can choose to have you army from different Cities that give you different buffs and play styles. It’s a bit in the nose but I’ve gone for City of Hallowheart based in Aqshy and has very Chaos Dwarf sounds traits and Artefacts.
I’m by no means a rules guy so any help advice is welcome though as always I play for fun rather than competitive or tournaments

So there’s a couple of lists I’ve got, from 600pts for Path to Glory to 1000/2000 for matched play too;

Warden King - Castellan
Dark Elf Sorcereress - Sorcerer
Iron breakers - Warriors
Dark Elf Dreadspears - Hobgoblins

Veteran of the Blazing Crusade gives immune to Battle shock for 18" and Pauldrons of living flame five D3 mortals in 3" at the end of the combat phase. Very Chaos Dwarfy as are the spells Sear wounds to heal D6 and Warding Brand that when cast on a unit and wounds done to them on a 4+ deal a mortal wound back :cd1991gif:

Then onto 1000pts

Stormcast Concussors - Bull Centaurs
Steam Tank - Iron Demon
(Same spells and Artifacts)

And finally 2000pts

RuneLord - Demonsmith
Battlemagenon Griffon - Sorcerer on Great Taurus
Lord Castellan - Taur’ruk
Irondrakes - Fireglaves

All of which is my first attempts with a new book and new ruleset so as I said please let me know if you see anything incorrect. As I mentioned the most exciting thing for me about all of the above is no extra purchases :tada::tada::tada:
I haven’t really looked into the new Core Battalions yet and if it’s worth adding some in and the benefits they get

3 Likes

Finally used this. Works great.

I did it slightly different.

1. Prime white
  2. Very thinned sepia wash
  3. Stipple oak brown (Army Painter) on edges and other spots as described by @GhraskDragh
  4. The wash as described
  5. Same wash but thinned all over the model

It’s a but more white then the tutorials but that was the intention

I’m considering darkening some of the rust spots again

3 Likes

:100: Grim Dark Space Marine there @MichaelX ! Looking great, really like where you’ve put the reds in there too

Hopefully it’ll do well in the shop now :+1:t2::vulcan_salute:t2:

These lists in front of me has spurred me on a little I must admit.

I have finished the competition mini I started this month and I may have also moved onto a bit of an Achilles heel for this thread, Warmachines.

I’ve struggled trying to adapt the white scheme onto the Warmachines so far, I’ve opted now just not to include it, in keeping with the theme of this army being a quick army painted scheme I just for covering this in easy metal scheme that look rough and unkept to fit in with the rest and I’m happy with what’s been done here, I think I’ve got my Warmachine scheme now…

… I’m also thinking I’m going to leave off the extra stars on the wheel, I like the streamlined look to this.

A little WIP of one of the crew too

10 Likes

This month’s project is less about painting and more about gaming, over the moon to get my first games of 3.0 in.

What a fantastic game 3.0 is, gone are the days of standing about waiting for the others to finish their turn, it was great being involved in almost every phase and super easy to pick up. By the second game we were flying.

That being said Mortal Wound output is devestating on 1 wound units and definitely felt the pain of the new Kruleboyz shootaz and their big boss, they are a fantastic army and very cool models

Can’t wait to get some more games in, it’s great getting painted minis out on a board to play

7 Likes

Sounds great, been enjoying 3rd as well! :slight_smile:
Noticed the WarCry box in the background there, What do you think of it? We have been playing loads of WarCry this last year, so good.

1 Like

I love WarCry, haven’t played in a little bit as haven’t played ANY games in a little bit :grin:

Hopefully that’s all changing soon though and be a playing on a more regular basis.

I’m really wanting to create some of those custom WarCry cards you’ve been linking with some pics of my Chaos Dwarfs in there :cd1991gif:
The Dominion box I accidentally bought I’m breaking the Stormcast into WarCry units, gives me an excuse to paint them a couple of different themes

1 Like

Finally can post these, completed a little while ago to play in my first 600pt Cities of Chaos list (as Dark Elf Dreadspears) so thought why not enter them in my first comp as it was running at the same time

13 Likes

Very cool army. It looks so menacing. Well done mate!

2 Likes

They fit in beautifully @GhraskDragh

So glad we got you involved in a golden hat at last!

3 Likes

Great army! Got to say I love the hot soulsnares, lovely touch.

1 Like