WARNING Picture heavy
Weeks ago, when @Reaver, @chitzkoi, @Oxymandias and i were joking about doing an ass cannon AC sculpt i got hyped enough to attempt my first real scratch build and sculpt. I’ve done some greenstuff fixing and sculpted some wood beams in the past but nothing very detailed or finished.
I had no real idea except for a rough concept in my head. I knew I wanted a big fat ugly daemon, so I started there. Since it was my first sculpt I decided to use 3d printed head and hands, as to have a good start. Glued some scrap together and covered it in air dry paper maché clay. Don’t have pictures of the air dry clay step but this is the base I started from.
Now… the head I used didn’t look scared enough for what he eventually was going to go trough so I decided to add eyes.
Then I did not like the way his tongue looked so did some dentistry work with a Dremel.
This is the result, compared to an unmodified head.
Next I started adding to the body. I used oven bake polymer clay since I didn’t have any greenstuff left. It worked quite well!
At this point I had a conversation with @Admiral about the ass cannon mini competition. He said he doubted any ass cannon would do well since it might put off some people. That actually triggered me to go over the top. Figured that would be the best way to get peoples attention. So… I added some cleavage and started working on the skin and the… eyeball anuses…
I wanted to exaggerate the skin folds and fat layers.
The feet were hard… Could not decide how they should look. So I made some basic feet shape to begin
Next I wanted to start building the contraption he was going to be suspended in. Initially I figured id build some kind of wooden frame, like two huge cranes or something. But that would not fit my army at all, so I figured what if I make him part of my Forgeworld train…
So I started designing a carriage in Fusion 360. I used the wheels I made as replacement for the missing ones of my iron daemon. Made a diagram to make sure it all fits (he’s a big boy…)
Then I started to make it match the FW trains, added some triagles to the rims, added diamant pattern to the floors and added the wheel mounting points.
And it fits (barely) !
Next i started working on the mounting and aiming mechanism.
Now, with the basic components done I needed to add a whole lot of detail, so I designed some simple machinery and bits and pieces in fusion again.
I started working on the Crew, some misprinted LKM minis.
And started hooking up the machine.
Now at this point I wanted to prime the daemon to see if I should/could do more to it to make it pop, without all this bright distracting colours… and I dropped him… NOOOOO… But… luckily I found all missing bits and pieces. It took me about 30 minutes of looking on hands and knees though…
I decided to take it as a sign from Hashut that he needed more work, so I figured I could solve one of the biggest issues I had not yet been able to fix. The hands protruding out from the carriage. I cut the fingers of one of his hands , repositions them and started fixing all the damage done.
Perfect! I added Hashut’s branding iron to the crewmember responsible for firing the cannon.
And started adding all those details I designed and printed to the carriage.
Now it was time to add some bits and pieces i haven’t sculpted myself to bind it all together
And we are ready for paint!
The first iteration of paint looked a bit too… Christmassy…
So out with the green and in with the gold.
And the purple seemed to flat so i drybrushed it with several layers of blue, leaving the purple underneat.
I added a lot of weathering
Around this time i had 32 days of quarantaine due to getting covid so all was halted for a week or two
Part 2 in next post