Metal Matt's Chaotic Dwarf Force

Lovely paintjobs! Splendid force.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, here’s a small update of what I’ve been working on this week:

Command unit/Character:

Unit of Fabelzel Warriors:

Completed Unit of 10 Orcs:

I’m working on taking better pictures of my minis. I’m just using my iPhone right now and a white piece of construction paper as a backdrop. If anyone has any tips about photographing or painting they would be much appreciated. Cheers!

24 Likes

Good job, again love the vibrant colors!

2 Likes

Awesome paint job. The more you show the more I love your work :heart_eyes:

…and classy touch the bluebeards :smirk:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, happy new year and may Hashut bless you. I hope the holidays were nice for everyone. Now that they’re past, I’m back to work planning projects and painting dwarfs. I finally bought myself a 3d printer so I’m looking forward to experimenting with it. Anyway, here are my first painted models of 2023. Does anyone know anything about these plastic monopose dwarfs? I like them but can’t figure out which release they were a part of.

19 Likes

They were part of the 4th edition GW release of Chaos Dwarf models in 93-94 (?). Came in boxes of 8-10 models I think, for bulking out your metal units. I like them as well, but they’re a tad bit bulkier than the metal models. I gave mine hat swaps with the stl hat kit you can find on thingiverse:

I think I got them printed at 105% which made them a good fit. I think it helps diversify the unit. :slight_smile:

Love the paint job you’ve given these models, and d*mn that Fabelzel character looks dope! I really should get one myself (even though I’ve got enough characters already). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @denelian5, they came in a larger lot of metals that I purchased, but it’s surprisingly difficult to find info about them. Those hats look awesome, I’m going to have to give them a try very soon!

1 Like

Hello, a small update for everyone. I’ve been hunting this model for a while and finally found it. Very excited to be inching closer to my goal of collecting all the big hat models. Maybe next I’ll try to get all the hobgoblins. I added the Fabelzel shield and I think it looks great! :metal: :metal: :metal:

22 Likes

Lovely painting, are the black scales are hard to do?

I notice you have switched from round to square bases, is this an intentional switch?

3 Likes

Probably the best big hat model ever (hence one of the best miniature ever :smirk:).
You did a great job. Mine is still waiting brushes… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@Zoddtheimmortal thank you for the kind words. The scales are not so hard it just takes a little preparation. I use a gray basecoat followed by a dark wash, then I build up highlights from light gray to white over that. Finally I use the Army Painter Speed Paint Grim black on the top. I apply a couple layers to make sure the recesses are dark and contrast with the edges.

I am moving to square bases intentionally with the hopes of being able to use my minis for several different systems. I’m interested in Warlords of Erehwon, Kings of War, Warhammer 6th and 7th edition, and possibly the Old World… we’ll have to see.

@bassman I agree he is possibly the coolest big hat model and so much fun to paint. I look forward to seeing yours some day :metal:t2:

4 Likes

You’re an inspiration to us all. Those colours, that shading! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Wow, you got the best out of the Mini with your colour scheme.
Very good

2 Likes

The monopose plastics came a short time after the Warhammer Presents army book, so there are no pictures of the models in the book. They were first released in boxes of ten, then it reduced to eight a few years later. The same model was used in the boardgame Talisman. As was traditional for many GW monopose plastics, they were a bit too big and were impossible to rank up without having them at an angle.

2 Likes

Got to steal that hat color scheme. That red skull really pops. I’ve got command and metal warriors left wanted to make each one more of his own colors while still being uniform and that red skull’s definitely going to be one

1 Like

Thanks to all for the encouragement! Progress is ongoing as I start to work on the original Big Hats I’ve been collecting piece meal over the past couple of years. Here is my first completed unit of twenty! I haven’t completed a rank and file regiment like this in almost ten years!

I must once again ask the forum for help identifying some miniatures. I received these great weapon Chaos Dwarfs in a lot I purchased recently but can’t find any information about them. Does anybody here know who these guys are? Thanks for looking and as usual all feedback and tips are welcome :metal:t2:

16 Likes

Warhammer quest released chaos dwarfs. Literally the tail end of both production runs. I don’t know how many are out there, but I have seen way too many for never seeing a single model for sale in the store. Of any chaos dwarf model, and I started collecting in 96. I always assume they are recasts. Personally.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @Shef !Yeah they very well may be recasts. Since they came as kind of a bonus in the lot I’ll see if I can paint them up and make them cool. I like them either way. They look like they will blend ok with other infantry troops, maybe as their own unit. Do you have any idea who sculpted them?

1 Like

Yeah, they’re cool and they add extra variety but I mean I’ve seen people with like 20 of them and they should be the rarest of the rare. I’ve also never seen one in a package and I have also seen people like trying to sell them for like $100 each guy so I just treat them as value as the regular warriors cause I can’t trust their real.

1 Like

A beautiful unit of Bug Hat’s, I love the colours and the overall look.

Very beautiful

1 Like