Metal Matt's Chaotic Dwarf Force

Thank you @Bessron , I had a lot fun collecting and painting these guys! I have some Bull Centaurs and Blunderbussers up next.

1 Like

Your reds come out so vibrant, I love it.
The WQ sculpts look alright next to other big hats but they are a little shorter. I use one as the champion for my axe warrior unit.

1 Like

From what we can see from picture they look like real stuff and this makes them really valuable. They are nice miniatures, worth because they are rare, not because they are particularly amazing (IMO there are better big hats around).

Not being a fanatic collectionist myself I’d never spend lots of money to get them but, if I had them like a bonus in a bigger bargain, I would be more than happy to have them. I’d slap some paint on them as they are nice miniatures and show proudly in Chaos Dwarf online forum :hatoff:

8 Likes

Just Here to add that this Metal looks legit and Not much Like a recast on this Picture. How does the Standing Pin Look? Awesome Bonus you got there!

1 Like

Agree although the early 90s alloy is not rocket science and was/is widely used. These miniatures look fairly well-cast, so I would tend towards ‘original’.

Unreleased miniatures are not necessarily super-limited – there are definitely some that are more rare than others. If they were part of a planned release that got axed for whatever reason, they probably produced a fair number of them. The super-rare miniatures are usually test models and sculpting assignments that were part of the application process for new sculptors.

I’m a bit curious a bit though about the timeline behind these ones since they could have released them for their WH range but decided against that.

1 Like

They were available in the GW online store for a few years, so anyone could have bought them during that time. It was only after that ended that huge units of them started showing up on Ebay with hats from a blunderbuss model, which made the recasting obvious. There are still potentially a lot of originals out there, but most of the ones I see are recasts.

It’s a little harder to tell the type of white metal used on these because they appear to have a black wash over them.

2 Likes

You are right! I didn’t know that. Here is the 2004 catalogue:

So they’re not unreleased miniatures after all. Collecting Citadel Miniatures writes: “A harder to find miniature, and shown in Games Workshop’s US Catalogue and Hobby Reference 2004-05 edition. I perceive that these were more available in release in the US, and not so in the UK. that said, be wary as they are sold on E-Bay in large amounts by the same old sellers,… you know the ones.”

EDIT: I just noticed that nobody before me wrote something about unreleased miniatures – sorry for the confusion!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It is exciting to know that almost by accident I acquired these potentially rare, potentially valuable minis. I like them and I like Chaos Dwarfs enough that I plan to keep them, and paint them and add them to my army. They bring me joy!

@flagellant04 Thank you for the compliment, I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting with ProAcryl Transparent Paints, that’s how I’ve been able to build up these really nice reds. The company that makes ProAcryl is based out of my hometown to I’m real proud of their products. Check them out!

@Charly2912 When I get them cleaned up a little better I’ll try to take better pictures and see what the pin looks like. The previous owner slapped some pretty intense paint on there and I’m having trouble removing it effectively.

@anzu Wow that advertisement is amazing, thank you for sharing it! I love the paint job they’ve given those guys. Looks so wild and over the top. What I strive for!

3 Likes

I’ve looked at Pro Acryl and am keen to pick up some of their paint s at some point. From your work, it looks like it would be worth it! The brightness of your colors stands out.

Holy Crap! Now I really want that Catalog! Conversion and painting tips for Chaos Dwarves in a GW product?! How did I miss this?

@MetalMatt : Fantastic work on classic miniatures, I look forward to seing more!

2 Likes

Hello friends, the past few months have been busy for me but I have managed to paint a few things so here is a quick update. I hope everyone is well and feeling excited about all the new attention Chaos Dwarfs have been getting :metal:t2:

17 Likes

Excellent stuff, love your painting style too

1 Like

This looks awesome. Amazing painting style.

2 Likes

This is great @MetalMatt - particularly impressed with seeing the chaos ogres out! Always loved those minis

1 Like

Who is the middle character with the heated gauntlet? He is very nice. Ive not seen that model before

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, the project is coming along. My game group and I are now playing pretty big games of Warlords of Erehwon but there’s talk of also playing some Warhammer Armies Project so I’ve been thinking about bulking up units a bit.

@Oxymandias Yeah I had a lot of fun painting those Ogre models. I wonder if there was ever a whole unit available, I mostly just find the command unit for sale.

@Zoddtheimmortal The middle character is a design by @Fabelzel one of the only models i’ve managed to print successfully!

3 Likes

Beautifully done! Striking colors as before. They look great.

1 Like

Dammit I need to see more of this kind of content!! Keep these coming, love the paint jobs!

~N

1 Like

While I’m waiting for @Oxymandias to crank out a new edition of the WOEhammer Compendium my friends and I have begun to dabble a little in WAP. I enjoy it and find it to be very familiar with elements of 6-8th edition that I remember but also with a much needed reduction of the silliness that led me to walk away from 8th even before GW ended it all. Anyway here’s some pics of my efforts to make my Chorfs work in this system:

19 Likes

@MetalMatt - Beautiful!

Woehammer 2 is here now. Just play testing a bit. Will link soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes