Oldhammer inspired Chaos Dwarf Army

I sculped fur with greenstuff to cover up the joins where the head meets the body

8 Likes

I chopped the back legs off the bull part of the Lamassu and stuck him to the waist of the Ettin - was left over with a chunk of metal. Then using green stuff covered the gaps with more fur and did some rough sculpting of bull flanks where they joined the ettins body.

8 Likes

Brilliant! Yeah fur is a godsend for joins aint it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bull Centaurs incoming

For these models i used mantic bull centaur bodies combined with knightmare miniatures bugbears

https://www.manticgames.com/games/kings-of-war/abyssal-dwarf/abyssal-dwarf-halfbreeds-regiment/

https://knightmareminiatures.com/product/bugbears-regimiento

As the bugbears were metal it was a bit of a pain and a fair bit of green stuff armour was needed where model joins the bull. Luckily I had a mega sharp jewelry making hacksaw so cut through metal very easy.

For the painting I did all the skin in oil paints and am happy with the tone…I think oil painting of skin works well as you need all the different layers that adds to the flesh tone.

These were the most converted unit in my army …when I saw the costs of bull centaur big hats plus the hats wouldn’t have really have matched. So had to find something else. I spent ages trying to find a bull centaur body (oldhammer searching didn’t bring up any suitable OOP models) . In the end went with the mantic bulls and they worked well. They are a fair bit smaller than the bugbears but think the smaller body / bigger torso makes them look cooler as focusing on the awesome knightmare miniature heads /faces

14 Likes

I feel pretty confident in saying this is an original idea and noone has ever done this before. Lovely unit, great job. Good centaurs for 3rd edition is probably the biggest problem. I like the slightly comical nature of their faces.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Yeah not many options out there at all. All horse type creatures from oldhammer GW don’t really work and things like centaurs are like hens teeth rare

1 Like

I’ve been looking at your collection so far and I haven’t spotted any macrocosm dark dwarfs, haven’t discovered? Or not a fan?
Diehard miniatures do a nice boar centaur and macrocosm do a bull style one…but yeah it’s rough.
Well jealous of all the mm90s ,a complete set seems like the holy grail to me.
Bolg and zanko have great 3rd ed style blogs. Definitely worth a look if you get a chance.
I get a lot of get up go from looking at blogs like yours keep it up

I do like macrocosm but don’t think I found a space for them as yet. Was looking at blunderbusses and beswekers but thought they looked a bit small and went for alternatives.

I like the big fortress so will probably get that at some point .

Really a very successful conversion! :smiley:

Nice that there are other lovers of the old 3te Edition models that have creative conversions, my conversions (for comparison here) are much more conventional and less crazy.

2 Likes

Nice. What models do you use @Zanko?

Also, what game are you playing with them ? I See there are 2 bulls per base .

The upper bodies are from Metal Magic models (was a German company, went out of business in the mid 90’s) and the bodies are from Citadel (the 3rd edition Boar Centaur bodies).

I used the models for WHF (although my last game was years ago) as BCs - it is a 75 x 50 mm base. Since one model looked a bit lost on the large base, I just positioned 2 models on it.

(insert shamless plug) you need a unit of these:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Nominus_Malus

http://www.evillittlebuggers.com/

4 Likes

I have to agree with Sjoerdo, his models are an excellent and coherent extension of the 3rd Edition models!

I think you are right. I have just bought some :smiley:

4 Likes

First time I have seen these for sale. Would have definitely bought them sooner :slightly_smiling_face:

Would you be motivated to ever sculpt cd versions of some of the other chaos champions from the same era?
My fav one was the guy covered in bone armour

Sculpting it yes! but going through the whole cycle of having them produced, setting up a website, creating artwork, arranging shipping etc.

no :smiley: