The Last Alliance - LOTR inspired Old World High Elves

Here I am, coming out as high-sexual. @Jasko I retract all banter about you owning a high elf army because I am now one of your number!!!

This project began because I was reading the Simarillion and thinking about elves as a faction. I then played at my buddies house and saw his army in white and blue armour and found it very striking. I then realised how very cheap the monopose ones still are on eBay.

My combined love of Tolkien, monopose models and bargains converged and this project was born.

11 Likes

Paint tester:

My colour scheme was inspired by the last alliance of elves and men seen at the start of the first LOTR film.

However these were very gritty and battleworn and I wanted a parade ready version of this

I created a very bright cartoony gold by using yellow contrast (nazdreg) over silver paint :slight_smile:

I decided to go with green gems and green bases to introduce a third colour to the mix.

The basing material is a mixture of some base ready and some very bright flock.

It helped me create something that it quite bright and over the top, yet retains some semblance of realism.

8 Likes

High elf archers:

16 Likes

These are looking awesome! I always found that opening scene of LOTR very inspiring too and at one time had a high elf force inspired by the same color scheme, though it didn’t look as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing more progress on this :metal:t2:

3 Likes

Better late than pregnant

cracks knuckles

Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in.
Certainly happy you found your way to the blessed island.
And congrats for your bravery in making an official blog about it instead of just confessing this in a discord-DM during the wee small hours of the morning. :slight_smile:

Bonus points for getting the oldhammer monopose sculpts, really like what you did with them. Those archers look awesome!

We will follow your progress with interest :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting technique with the non-metallic paint over silver. Purely for efficiency or are there any deeper reasons for not using gold paint?

3 Likes

It’s not uncommon, used on cars for ever. For example candy apple red.

It give a slight metallic shipper to the paint.

Gold gives deeper warmer colors, silver results in lighter colder colors.

2 Likes

The reason I was asking is that any metallic non-silver paint is just mica (Muscovite for a bright silver and biotite for a dark silver) coated in a non-metallic color. So the warmth of the metallic surface should only depend on your secondary color. However, with the properties of contrast paint pooling in the recesses this sounds like a clever two step approach that avoids having to go over the model again like when applying a wash.

@Anzu same reason I use any painting method I use

4 Likes

That’s It. You are off my XMas List now. FN Elveses indeed

2 Likes

Sword masters added :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve got a Teclis and swordmaster musician if you want them

2 Likes

Abecedar - could be interested!!! Message me :slight_smile:

Thanks for reaching out

3 Likes