Orcs of The White Hand - TOW project

IMG_2913

Inspiration and reasons to collect:

Summary

Orcs were my first love in fantasy. And the first place I ever came across an orc was reading the beautifully illustrated copy of the hobbit that I had as a child.

The goblins (orcs) in that book were stunted, cruel and selfish beasts - easy to hate (and by extension love) protagonists.

The Goblin King: Alan Lee

As a child it put me in mind of the perhaps orc inspired minions of the evil witch in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty (which we had on VHS).

Malificent’s Goons: Disney

In fact that film itself had great fantasy visuals with dungeons, castles, dragons etc but I digress.

The next time I was made aware of orcs would have been around 2000/2001. I would have discovered Warhammer and within one year seen the first Lord of the Rings movie by Peter Jackson.

I went to see this movie four times in cinema. Every week I got £5 pocket money, and every weekend I spent my £5 on a cinema ticket to see it for a whole month.

I fell in love with orc, the goblin and the Uruk portrayed in this film. They became “my orcs” as it were. Saruman, as portrayed by Christopher Lee, took on the role of the brain behind the operation and narratively was a far more engaging antagonist than the disembodied Sauron. He was the Malificent to this piece. The David Bowie’s Goblin King! (Another childhood favourite and early introduction to goblins)

Some of my love of chaos dwarfs comes from my love of Saruman as a character. The embittered wizard high in his black tower, whispering to the darkness and turning to evil, obsessed with industry and domination and using enslaved lesser creatures - orcs and goblins to do his will. Sound familiar?

Now, the Warhammer orcs were awesome. Although being a 40k kid I was much more aware of the sci-fi space orks fresh from their GorkaMorka reboot being muscle bound and green Mad Max extras.

The fantasy orcs that caught my attention were those in Jacksons move.

IMG_2957

Orcs in the LOTR Trilogy: Peter Jackson

Much like Malificent’s goons, here were the archetypal, unrepentantly evil and utterly irredeemable nasty henchmen of greater evils. The orcs in these films echoed, and were no doubt inspired by, the art of Alan Lee and John Howe.

In short, my expectation of what an orc is or should be was firmly Tolkien inspired. This was also reinforced by seeing Bakshi’s surreal, brilliant yet flawed LOTR adaptation wheee the orcs are very creepy indeed.
IMG_2956

Orcs in Ralph Bakshi’s The Lord of The Rings

(An aside : You’ll notice I have and will continue to use the word orc and goblin interchangeably. This is because being a Tolkien fan first, they are interchangeable terms. D&D then Warhammer and later Warcraft / magic the gathering et al certainly separated these into two species in the popular imagination but to me, in my head canon, they are one species. Even when playing Warhammer I just think of Orcs as big bold goblins and goblins as small snivelling orcs. I don’t feel the need to differentiate them that seperately. Add hobgoblins into the mix and I can see a sliding scale or spectrum of orc phenotypes as opposed to clear distinct races. )

Moving into secondary school (what people on this soggy little island call high school), I continued playing 40k but also dived head first into Tolkien art books and Dungeons and Dragons monster manuals.

Orc: 3rd edition dungeons and dragons

Orcs: images taken from Tolkien art books in my school library.(Ian miller, Alan Lee and John Howe)

IMG_2913

This is before Dungeons and Dragons decided to rehabilitate the orc.

Click here for an unsolicited rant on this topic

By the time I was finishing secondary school, my brother and I played Warcraft 3 and he later got very into world of Warcraft. I remember playing the strategy game thinking yes orcs! However these orcs were not my orcs. On the surface they had the Warhammer silhouette of big green savages (as opposed to skulking nasty Tolkien fiends) but past the surface it was clear these were not orcs like I understood.

These were “noble savages” or as I have since thought of them “green Klingons”. They have perfectly braided beards, clearly spend most days bench pressing and looking at their arms and armour they clearly made beautiful things and so had a society that could support things like metallurgy and high end craftsmanship.

The orcs I knew would make simple wicked things or steal/ patch together things. They weren’t relatable in the sense that they represented some noble ancient ideal of what we once were.

The orcs I knew and loved instead were a black mirror. They reflected back the very worst of humanity. They are lazy, self hating and ugly. They are selfish and backstabbing and delight in cruelty.

This was part of a wider trend. The elder scrolls series have noble savage orcs. Dungeons and dragons has rehabilitated the orc and half orc and in general encourage players to challenge archetypes.

Some of this is political and there are essays online that can be found about if Tolkien’s world and “races” are something we should reappraise and adapt in the 21st century. I shan’t go into this here, not his frequently misquoted letter describing the physical appearance of orcs. We have a strict no politics rule on CDO.

This blog perhaps explains this sentiment better than I could: …the leadpilehttp://theleadpile.blogspot.com › th…The Campaign for Real Orcs

The orcs here were brutish beasts and selfish greedy monsters. They were, again, often the minions of greater evils. (At least in the campaigns I played.)

Why Kruleboyz?

Summary

I’ve waited until the old world previews to heavily invest in an AoS army. Funny innit?

The dominion release for Kruleboyz

However I’ve been a long term fan of this range. I know they are controversial amongst Warhammer orc fans due to their different aesthetic to fantasy orcs. But for the reasons described above, about why I love orcs, I love these.

When the AoS Dominion Boxset was previewed I remember being very interested and excited by the portrayal of orcs and goblins.

In fact we have time capsule to an old podcast where I laid out my views:

Chaos Dwarf Radio: The Brazen Broadcast #3

The Kruelboyz and Hobgrotz were perfect for me. They leaned into the more tolkieny feel of nasty skulking greenskins. They also had skinnier orcs and taller goblins (in the form of hobgrots) which helped my “orcs and goblins are the same thing” brain cope. The greataxes and oversized swords are swapped for cruel curves ones and polearms. The weapons of heroes have been replaced by the weapons of cowards, sneaks and those who wish to fight in large groups. In my opinion this is so orcy.

The boar is replaced by what can only be described as a Warg.

And the setting of misty fens and bogs creates a truly fairy tale/ mythology inspired setting. I am instantly put in kind of Beowulf awaiting Grendel (another potential proto-orc like character) in the kings hall by the misty swamps.

JR Skelton’s Grendel (From 1908!)

Alongside this the range has some truly Warhammerian inspiration. The orcs are not only Tolkienesque but are a nod back to Kev Adams take on greenskins.

IMG_2981
IMG_2980

Pic: Kevin Adams Orcs

Until the Brian Nelson Shaman began that new aesthetic for orcs, they were skinnier than we might imagine and armed with a variety of stolen weapons / looted armour.

Alongside this the range leans heavily on the evil sun logo. For any Warhammer fan of a certain age this, alongside chequerboards, was synonymous with Warhammer and the citadel paint range for many years. An old Warhammer community article points out the inspiration for these shields: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/04/how-age-of-sigmars-dominion-boxed-set-draws-on-40-years-of-warhammer-history/

Picture: the evil sun/ old citadel paints

My Hobgoblins - joining the cause!

Summary

I was a well documented buyer of hobgoblins! I completed a crazy self imposed challenge of creating a hobgrot army in a a month (i think?) using the very cheap Hobgrotz from this set.

My challenge and the army it created are documented here: The Wolves of WoE - A Hobgoblin army project

Now that the old world beckons - these will be joining up with and serving as the goblins in my orc and goblin army.

This also makes this army less pressure. It’s a goblin army ready to go for the new game that I can add orcs to slowly. It also means that I’ll get to use an army that I think have only seen two games since I made them! Expect pics of these to be added to the showcase section of this blog as it develops.

The Old World - Old bases?

Summary

I am sticking to traditional sized basing for the troops in this army. That is - 25s for orcs and 20s for goblins. The reason for this is that the goblins are already on 20s and will need spacer trays. I also already have some orcs built, but not painted on 25s. If spacer trays will be the aesthetic of the army, that’s fine. Completely new armies may well be on modern sized bases such as my slow growing elves: The Last Alliance - LOTR inspired Old World High Elves (this project has not been blogged but will be at some point as models are painted for it. Lots have been built!)

5 Likes

Summary

In the heart of the dark and labyrinthine tunnels beneath the world, groups of orc and goblin tribes have long thrived in isolation, their presence hidden from the surface dwellers. These orcs are leaner, sneakier and more cowardly than their larger green skin cousins. They prefer poison blades and arrows to brutish axes and clubs. Only those who ventured too deep would meet them and seldom would they return to tell the tale.

Little did these greenskins know that their subterranean way of life would be disrupted by the twisted ambitions of an imperial wizard. This sorcerer, known only as the white wizard, once a guardian of the magical secrets and student of science, had succumbed to the corrupting whispers of chaos that promised unimaginable power.

High in a towering spire nestled somewhere within the dense forests of the Empire, the corrupted wizard delved into forbidden rites that reached across the depths of the earth.

Through ancient and malevolent incantations, he summoned the orc tribes, forcing them into unwitting servitude. Although they shunned the light, a sudden need forced these orcs out from their caves and to begin gathering into a great “Waaagh!”

The unsuspecting greenskins knew not that this was because they were under a wizard’s thrall, compelling them to carry out his dark bidding.

Yet, this imperial wizard’s treachery remained shrouded in secrecy. From his forested refuge, he orchestrated lightning-fast raids using the mounted wolfboyz, strategically striking under the cloak of night. The chaos sown by these relentless attacks plunges the Empire further into disarray. In this time of civil war, confusion is the tool of chaos. It seems that the White Wizard wants this war to continue, to ensure that the Empire remains fractured and weak.

The orc tribes united under a single banner, a leering red face, are now an unwitting instrument of chaos. They are white right hand of the enigmatic white wizard. They roam the lands in packs, leaving destruction in their wake. Villages are pillaged, crops razed, and whispers of this growing menace are echoing through the war-torn lands of the Empire.

From time to time Elector counts respond and meet these tribes head on, unaware that the very wizard that many have previously trusted and even still seek council from has turned to the malevolent forces that seek to unravel their world.

As the orcs continued their relentless onslaught, the corrupted wizard revels in the chaos he has unleashed. His once cave dwelling orcs, now driven by an insidious force, are unwittingly fulfilling his newfound allegiance to chaos. The true nature of this puppet master’s betrayal remains veiled, a looming threat that casts a shadow over the unsuspecting Empire in its time of greatest need.

Summary

“He walks here and there they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked. And everywhere his spies slip past our nets.” - Hamlet Sweindergott of Averland

Many have seen the ghostly astral projection of a wizened old man watching over the hordes of orcs that march under his banner. Yet, none in the empire know who he truly is…

The enigmatic wizard, Walter Jabsco has long served as counsellor in courts from Bretonia to the World’s edge mountains. His wisdom has supported the great and good of the old world for generations. His life seems to have been naturally prolonged, but such is often the way with wizards.

A collector of great and powerful artefacts, deep within his tower somewhere within the dark forests of the Empire, Jabsco spent his time, when not at court, studying ancient and forbidden lore.

A wyrdstone globe, impossibly smooth somehow came into his possession. In his attempts to understand its secrets, the chaotic energy from within slowly poisoned Jabsco’s mind. The great eye of chaos opened and gazed upon him. The god Tzeentch saw in this wizard a powerful plaything that could be used to fulfil its darkest plans.

Jabsco was given a glimpse of power beyond imagination, a united Empire with him at his head. The hordes of chaos would soon engulf this land in flames and he would rise to lead them. The wizard took his first step upon the path to glory, the path of damnation.

Jabsco died that day and a new and terrible sorcerer took his place, Ska-Ruman “The White Hand”.

The White Hand used his elevated powers to summon subterranean orcs and command them to do his bidding. He now operates in secret, hoping to prolong this civil war so that when the hordes of chaos descend, they find it weakened.

For all his intelligence, he has fallen foul of pride and false promises. He sees himself as the future leader of a realm of chaos, a realm that if allowed to cover the lands of the empire, would surely consume all the souls of humanity, including his own…

4 Likes

Orc Spearmen hold a ruined castle.

Standing over his latest victim, an orc warboss fends off a group of crusading knights.

A goblin rides upon an enormous white wolf

A group of orcs and goblins protect a shaman.

An orc shaman poisons a river.

A knight takes on a mighty warboss upon a giant warg.

A great WAAAGH! Banner waves in triumph.

A group of orks follow a mighty boss holding a magical artefact.

A hunting party of wolf riders stalk the wilderness

A raiding party of orc warriors defile ancient elven ruins.

A group of orc bowmen take pot shots at their enemies.

“FEE FI FO FUM” a giant in the employ of the orcs enjoys a tasty snack…

A small orc warband bursts from the tree line.

The orcs push a goblin forward, towards a troll lair, to try to get them to sign a contract to fight under their banner.

An impromptu knife fight helps pass the time between battles.

Slow and dim witted, the trolls are penned into a makeshift den at the orc camp.

A battle horn blasts as wolf raiders ride to war!

11 Likes

Dead keen to hear who’s gonna be the evil wizard behind this lot!

2 Likes

First unit of spearmen done:

Comparison to models from my hobgrot project:

5 Likes

Work in progress pics: characters and giant :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Very cool take on the OnG! Good looking and moving forward fast (unlike my projects), I also love the fact that the giant has beauty spots on his shoulder. :grin:

Fantastic chequer board patterns by the way, the banner is spot on. ^^

3 Likes

Thank you! This is my bread and butter. Anything that stands still long enough is likely to be painted like a 2-tone ska album cover haha !

4 Likes

Banner incoming

10 Likes

Great start to the blog!

What grime are you using this time to shade them? Its hard to tell

2 Likes

Asruman the Chequered. And his consultant the great eye.

EDIT:

NO WAIT EFFIN GIVE ME A REDO DAMMIT

Skaruman the Chequered

6 Likes

Zodd -streaking grime classic

Lovely with ice and a slice

2 Likes

Eye see you are going for all the jac classics! Lovley mate!

2 Likes

Eye, I am.

2 Likes

Little WIP photo dump

7 Likes

The underworlds ones look like masterful greenstuff sculpting at a glance because of their colour haha

I’m excited to see more!

2 Likes

6 Likes

Oh thank Hashut… i hadn’t realized it was a green plastic model. I thoughy @Oxymandias had just been hiding some weird talent for years and was humbling all of use mere mortals.

5 Likes

3 characters painted. Shaman, BSB and magic banner guy

[

7 Likes

Giant added!

7 Likes