[TOW] Prodding at the gates of Numas 💀

I had a one-off battle with a friend the other day, which had some interesting moments, so I thought I’d write up a battle report. We had a third guy who was kind enough to take pictures, which is why I for once have a bunch of them.

We rolled the Open Battle Scenario (is that what it’s called? The one where you just draw lines 24" apart). I got to go first cause of the +1 to the roll (we both rolled a 6).

:point_up: I managed to bait him into deploying his skellington block and ranged ushabti way far away from my main force, by being a sneakster and proclaiming that I’d set up in the corner, while deploying hobgoblins as a shield.

By the time he realized my ploy, his most slow moving units were too far away to ever make it into combat.

:point_up: His army’s main work horse (no pun intended) was this unit of tomb guard chariots, with a herald and a prince inside, also on tomb guard chariots, yikes…

:point_up: The royal host army demands at least 1 unit of chariots, so he brought this wimpy little thing along ^^

:point_up: I played my tournament army, cause I don’t have enough models for anything else at this time ([TOW] Tournament Report). And would you look at that, a low linear obstacle :see_no_evil: GG chariots. I didn’t have anything to do with setting up the terrain, it was all there when I arrived.

:point_up: I flew (steed of shadows) my black orcs up to prevent the lone chariot from having a go at the war machines. Interesting thing nr. 1: Seeing as my hobbos were so far from everything, I decided to do a “turn” maneuver, essentially reforming them into a conga line i.e. marching column. That way I didn’t have to waste movement wheeling, and I had a whopping 12" move in the following turn to get in front of the approaching chariots.

:point_up: Case in point: See how nicely they block the chariots, preventing them from getting an easy charge (at this time I had my IG up against the fence, so the chariots could get a disordered charge if they wanted to)

:point_up: The lone chariot gets swallowed by the black orcs (the single supporting attack from my big boss ofc destroys his obsidian vambraces). Chariots fail a long charge roll because of the dreadquake taking away their swiftstride.

:point_up: The hobgoblins got in the way, and served their purpose by being slaughtered. My uh… Heroic dwarfs take a step back, taking away the chariots’ ability to charge them :see_no_evil: In the following turn, his Ushabti fail their charge and his chariots, uh… Move sideways.

:point_up: My big boss unleashes his war cry Waaagh! and the black orc mob charges in. At this time they have re-roll 1’s to hit and wound, +1a, +1ap, +1cr. The ushabti get absolutely battered and the orcs overrun into the chariots.

:point_up: Interesting thing nr. 2: The Waaagh! battlecry doesn’t end with the player’s turn, it ends in the next friendly start of turn sub phase, which means I get another round of huffed up black orcs, barreling into the tomb guard chariots. The chariot unit gets wrecked, but since there are characters in there, the black orcs receive some bad punishment in return as well.

:point_up: This is my turn 6 iirc. I’d hoped to be able to cast steed of shadows and get my remaining black orcs out of harm’s way, but my casting rolls in general were abysmal this game, so that failed. Steed of shadows is an amazingly awesome spell nonetheless.

The remaining chariots rammed my black orcs in their last turn, wiping them out, but not before the last of the regular chariots was destroyed, leaving only the two characters left.

:point_up: What happened to the north during the game is barely worth mentioning. The ushabti lacked the volume of shots necessary to panic the hobgoblins, and the hobgoblins lacked the power to really do anything. The skellingtons futilely did their best to approach the main battleline, but in spite of them having a reserve move banner, never made it in time.

In the end it was a minor victory for the Chaos Dwarfs :partying_face:

The war machines had ample opportunity to do well, even scoring some gnarly hits on the chariot characters, who weren’t able to look out, sir! cause of the lack of rank-n-file, but my opponent was lucky with his regen saves and I rolled poorly on multiple wounds. The dreadquake was as always useful in slowing down the enemy, despite failing to load thrice (!) during the game.

Sorcerer prophet rolled poorly in casting. I rolled 12 for hits on the daemonology magic missile though! How many required 6’s to wound? 0. :trumpet::sad:

That’s dice for you. All in all a good game. I felt like I had it in the bag when I faked him out in deployment, and that fence was such a deterrent to his chariots, even though he never made it that far. Black orcs mvp, sad I couldn’t save them.

5 Likes