[TOW] Tournament Report

Hey y’all! Yesterday I attended a small TOld World beginner’s tournament (who isn’t a beginner at this point, though? :thinking:)

This was where it all went down:

The armies were capped at 1200pts, with a little bit of a limit on bringing overly expensive characters. No duplicate armies represented, so that was cool, we had wood elves (my brother, incidentally) and ogres:

Lizardmens and uh… Garden gnomes (O&G’s):

Myself, Chaos Dwarfs of course, and a High Elf player, whom I got as my first opponent.
All the lists can be seen here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Al1kpcrS-9cGgbkf_vH6n7DJzcgQPA

First Game

My list could basically only function as a castling list, since I poured so many points into war machines. The high elves were geared towards shooting, so it was an uphill battle for my boys. I did manage to fake him out with deployment, so his flying general was fairly far away. Also I managed to get first turn, so the odds were sort of in my favour (were)

He moves tentatively forward, I whiff my war machine shots. We weren’t sure whether Quake! would affect flying, although I was fairly certain it wouldn’t. My opponent still took ½ an inch off his flying movement. In general he was very focused on being a fair opponent, being very dilligent with measuring and communicating. Nice.

His gryphon edges forwards menacingly. My blorcs prepare to try and fend it off.

A slip in picture taking, and this is indeed the last picture.

He challenges my black orc big boss, but they wet noodle at each other (0 wounds given) and the gryphon gives ground.

My black orcs stood to receive a flank charge from a fresh block of phoenix guard, so they held back and reformed so as to put some distance to the elves.

The gryphon charges the dreadquake and just barely makes the charge. Here we fucked up and forgot about terror (which I would have failed, I rolled for it). In any case, the gryphon eats the mortar and overruns, but not far enough to reach the rocket. Infernal Guard turn around to face the gryphon.

The gryphon charges the deathshrieker and I fail terror again (roll 5+6 as with the dreadquake before)! Good thing for me, though, as the IG get to charge next round. They make it, tear the gryphon lord a new B-hole, and forces him off the table, after which they overrun off the table, leaving the High Elves with nothing to do for their round. Turn 6 we call it, as I’ve got nothing and he won’t be able to shoot anything significant. Oh, my blorcs were forced to run off the table for some reason, too. Think they were forced to panic or simply shot to pieces, I forget.

Major Victory for the High Elves.

My war machines were worryingly inefficient. I hit nothing significant, they took off a few phoenix guards, that was it. Otherwise it was wild scatter or the gryphon lord succeding one of his many saves (3+ 5+ 5+)

2 Likes

Second Battle:
For the second battle I was matched with my brother, which kind of sucked, since we recently had two games with these armies. The TO was matched with the ogre player, which also kind of sucked, since they’d similarly had a few battles very recently. Therefore we switched so I would face the ogres and my brother would take on the TO’s lizardmen. Joyous, I’d hate to face off against my brother again, he’s the most savvy player I’ve ever encountered. Love the guy, but peeling a win off of him is unlikely at best :slight_smile:

So the ogre player came off a first-round loss to my brother (tabled, no losses suffered by the wood elves…). And I got the feeling that he was a sort of inexperienced general. I took only two pictures here it would seem, but the above is deployment. We played meeting engagement. My infernal guard and dwarf characters were in reserves, as were his 6 bulls.

So here’s quite late in the fight. Notice the absence of big creatures :grimacing: My war machines really showed up for this one, finally, and blew the thundertusk and cannon chariot to smithereens. And there was much rejoicing (with my inside voice, of course). His Ironguts and Bulls were forced to move through the forest, and with a helping of a healthy dreadQUAKE bombardment, made slow progress. My black orcs managed to fend off the bulls, and I accidentally broke the rules here, although it ended up mattering little: I used steed of shadows to do a daring flying charge over the heads of my hobgoblins. I was later informed that conveyance spells are in the remaining moves phase, so this was indeed illegal, oups! Anyway, we fought for a bit, and the dwarfs beat back the ogres turn 6. No victory points were won in that confrontation.

Major victory to the Chaos Dwarfs! :partying_face::tada:

I realized fully now that these war machines are just horribly incapable of dealing with large blocks, Which is super weird, cause one would assume that that would be what they were made for… Instead they excel at taking out big ol’ beasts, as it turns out :slight_smile: Apart from that, the mortar’s Quake! ability is really useful for messing with cavalry and generally halting the enemy’s advance. Good stuff.

3 Likes

Final Battle
The garden gnomes player had to take off at this point, and it was decided that I was the one to be without an opponent for the last battle. Shucks, I’d only driven 100km to be at this thing :slight_smile:

The High Elves and Wood Elves engaged in bloody conflict to determine the overall winner of the tournament, and the three remaining losers, the lizardmen (who had just taken a major loss to the wood elves - but did manage to take out two units!), ogres, and myself, decided to wing it and do a 3v3.

Deployment :point_up: I deployed the same way as I had two times already :see_no_evil: The Ogres prepared to face opposition on two fronts, and the lizardmen focused on the ogres, while sending a commando squad of skinks, backed up by a flying priest, to attempt to infiltrate and poison the chaos dwarf war machines (they had no such luck - they were shot at, incinerated, and scared off the table)

The sorcerer prophet’s magic missiles leave the mournfang at 1 wound remaining. Under the watchful eye of the prophet, the deathshrieker manages to fire indirectly and impact the lizardmen’s general on carnosaur, chipping away 3 wounds.

We may be skipping a bit here, I again forgot to take pictures. The thundertusk chomps away at a unit of skinks to the north, before falling to the saurus warriors. Lone mournfang makes it into combat with the dreadquake and just barely takes it out before the ogre loader has a chance to strike back. The ogre bulls and infernal guard engage in prolonged combat, but the IG have the definite advantage, having the prophet there to enhance their ability, and repeatedly drive the ogres back.

A veritable monster mash to the north. The carnosaur and stegadon engage with the rhinox cannon and ironguts. Dinosaurs come out on top, and the Ogres’ general runs for the hills, never to be seen again. Unengaged, the carnosaur takes another direct hit from the deadeyed rocket artillerists, resulting in its demise. The infernal guard mop up the ogre bulls and the mournfang, and wonder what ever happened to those black orc slaves they brought for this fight…? As it turns out, they have been standing around looking cool all this time.

The final kill score was:
Ogres 265
Lizardmen 660
Chaos Dwarfs 875

Meaning that this final 3v3 is a minor victory for yours truly :partying_face: Who would have known that hanging back and shooting rockets into the fray would turn out well for me :see_no_evil:

This was a late game, and we were all sort of worn out from all the brainwork involved with playing for such a long time, but it was thoroughly enjoyable, we had a great time.

At the other table, to no one’s surprise, my brother tabled the high elf player with zero substantial losses to his own troops :face_exhaling:

So for my part, I lost one, won one, and came out on top in the third free-for-all. But that wasn’t all :open_mouth: All players voted in secret for which army they thought looked the best on the day, and what do you know, I went and won that honor! So the day was won by my brother and myself, oh my :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(apologies for the facial expression, I guess I was trying out a new smile? One would think I’d have gotten it down after 34 years, but apparently not…)

It was a wonderful time, and luckily the TO thought so too, so he’s already cooking up future events that will likely be similar, but at 1500pts and 2000pts respectively. For me it’s back to the painting table, and maybe get some more games in to solidify the rules a bit more, as well as get a firmer grasp on the old big hatted boyos.

Thanks for following along :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Big Hats, Big Hats, Big Hats YAY. Really like the hall where you played. I’ve been in contact in the last week with the old crew, After 8 years in limbo I think we are going to start back up.
Its great reports like this that is getting me excited again. Thanks and CONGRATS. BTY??? Garden Gnomes???

2 Likes

Big hats indeed ^^ Hope to see some pictures of yours when you’re ready to share!

Happy to hear you all are starting up. It’s a great time to do it.

Yeah the guy has some wild ideas. Here they are:

Silliest sh*t I ever done saw :sweat_smile: but I mean… No rules against proxies here, and tbf it was fairly clear what everything was. The army was mostly composited of snotling pump wagons and snotling swarms :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

OM Gosh, that’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. It just makes me want to run them down with Blood crushers and watch them go squish. Army list and pictures coming. Thanks again.

1 Like

Cheers mate, thanks for posting all that up, wonderful little tournament report! Really interesting with the war machines. I completely agree, it’s quite counterintuitive. But ok, it is what it is and we have to deal with it. Luckily big monsters are a threat right now, while large units can be killed by our own large units :sweat_smile: I’ll take it!

And congrats for winning best army! Excellent!

1 Like

Thanks! A good learning experience overall.

I’m looking forward to bringing a list without war machines (ok maybe 1 dreadquake or two bolt throwers :thinking:), and then all the beasties like Bale Taurus, Bull renders and the Iron Daemon. That’ll get me out of the corner and into the fray!

2 Likes

Nice reporting!

Agree that the ogre player seemed inexperienced, he basically threw his own game against me.

It was the high elf players first tournament as well, but his army list was one of the strongest ones in the tournament in my opinion. He ended up on top table as well.

Movement modifiers affect flying movement according to the new faq, so good news for the dreadquake.

Although your warmachines don’t deal that much area damage, they are the only thing in the whole game with multiple wounds D6 as far as I know. So killer against all the incoming dragons and the like.

Agree it was a little lame that the garden gnomes left after game 2 when we drove so far. But on the other hand, if we only had 5 players it would also have been awkward.

Looking forward to see your next army list with all the mobile choices!

If any of you mighty chaos dwarves have interest in the wood elf games of the tournament, then the reports are available on the asrai wood elf forum by searching my user name there.

3 Likes