War Against The Gray [BATG 2022 overview thread]

Hahah @chitzkoi I’ll refer you to my previous Duncan Banatyne meme

2 Likes

I’ve loved BATG and I’m doing it next year but I’m going to end up on +100 or something.

Just getting HeroQuest (+108) wasn’t a big deal, that just motivated me to get a whole heap of infantry done for my grots & skirmish collections. What’s killed me is Horus Heresy and the Astra Militarum Codex release. Both have encouraged me to pick up heaps of stuff to complete/reconfigure units I already have, AND buy new models.

Still, this has been my most productive painting year EVER by a country mile, so I’m not mad.

Also I will be working out a simpler blog system for next year, because keeping my current one updated has been a bit more effort than it merits.

5 Likes

This is the real win isn’t it. Pretty sure I’m in the same boat.

In the end we all just wanna see glorious painted minis ready for the battlefield.

2 Likes

Guys let’s not pre empt my obvious New Year’s Eve post about how the real Battle was learning that we love the Grey ok you’re getting there TOO FAST and I’m expecting toxic overwork on the painting front throughout December

6 Likes

Oh don’t worry about toxic overwork. My partner is going overseas for work so I intend to see how many guardsmen I can paint while she’s not there to demand I do things like sleep.

1 Like

Wow this is interesting, had a good November month and added a grand total of 0 and painted to finish 2 (could say 1 as it was the Witch King mounted and unmounted :grin:). I say good of course because it means nothing was bought rather than loads painted…but it’s also means I’m quite close to ending the year in the green.

I’m currently 36 extra models bought, which means if I can paint 40 minis in December I could finish the year with more painted than bought, I feat that I would have thought impossible at the start of the year.

That’s awful tempting, I’m off to find lots of simple minis to paint :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m constantly feeling like I’m missing posts on this ‘new’ site, compared with the old one. Maybe it’s not true, but it’s always nagging at me that it doesn’t feel as transparent… so with this in mind I’m going to ask dumb questions and hope I haven’t just been missing posts:

With the 2023 BATG, how do I declare that I’m signing up? Do I just start painting in January and start a new BATG thread?

Do I need to DM someone my numbers?

Do I have to sign up on discord or something if I really want to nerd-out with this?

Also, I get that this is just for fun - but are people trying to keep track on some kind of regular schedule (i.e. monthly?)

Ya… I’m coming into this WAYYYY late it feels like and haven’t been closely following how it’s all organized or been running, but it sounds like fun!

Thanks for any info that can be provided, hope this doesn’t derail the 2022 thread :wink:
~N

6 Likes

There’s a spreadsheet linked here. I assume we will do the same for 2023. The sheet has a spot for each person to report each month, most folks keep a live tally in a post at the top of their BATG thread.

I’d say no need to join the discord for this explicitly but occasionally batg fellows commune on voice chat to wage war against the grey in good company.

Now regarding kickoff of 2023, it’ll probably run much the same although this will be the first changing of the years for the BATG warriors and many of us will be busy down to the wire. There will be a war thread like this one for 2023 popping up this month. Everyone will start independent BATG blogs for 2023 and state their intent in the war thread.

And awayyyy we go.

Welcome to the BATG covenant! I hope we have lots of new and returning members. It’s been fun seeing a variety of projects from folks.

4 Likes

I will start setting up batg23 this month and and all shall be explained :slight_smile:

I havent done so yet as some people were still painting feverishly :innocent:

7 Likes

Hi all,

Where did the conversation end up with selling models? Think there was some conversation about this, but wasn’t paying too much attention :grimacing:. Basically I’m going to sell the Cursed City box I have, had it for a year and I think someone else might back better use of it. Can I subtract these off the “model added column”.

Cheers

1 Like

To me, if it was something you bought this year and added to your BATG but then you turned around and sold it this year then its impact should be removed when it gets sold.

I would compare this to buying something for a friend, holding onto it for 9 months and then gifting it to them. People shouldn’t be penalized for that, it just creates extra bookkeeping.

If it’s something you bought in a prior year (aka something sitting on the shame pile) I don’t think you should be getting a negative for selling it.

If the second form of selling was permitted then anyone could just sell 200 models for blackshard. My stance (for myself) is that if something sat on my shame pile that long and I’m fine selling it, I probably never really intended to paint it.

2 Likes

I bought two Sequitors on eBay, added both to my BATG, only wanted one so sold the other and then of course substrated that one again. In the grand total I didn’t declare it as „painted model“ but just decreased the „added to pile“ number again. But that’s just semantics imho.

It all goes back to the general principle: the overall goal of BATG is to not have a large pile of unpainted plastic anymore. Primary way to get there should be painting, but if you get rid of stuff you have but just know you never going to paint and don’t want, selling or gifting it away also counts.

I think the suggestion is, if you buy 50 models and then offload a box of 30 models you will never paint, your net added is 20. If you buy 20 models and offload 30 models net your added would be 0, not -10. So you still get 0 for any awards.

In the case of Cursed City I didn’t buy it, I won it in a raffle, essentially it was gifted to me and would rather offload it for other things.

2 Likes

Well, did you add it to your BATG score when you got it? Then substract it if you give it away. If you didn’t add it, obviously you also don’t get to substract it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The spirit of BATG is about getting models you want to play with up to standard, on the table ready for play.

You shouldn’t count stuff you never intend to paint (things you’re selling, things you inherited, junk) because that’s not stuff in your painting backlog.

Disposing of a collection during the year because you changed your mind is fine to do but I’m against counting it because it’s not really relevant to the outcome of our BATG which is about finishing stuff you always meant to finish.

5 Likes

Will there be another graph? Because I just tanked my score from -124 to -17 and I’d like my failure visualised.

4 Likes

Calling chartmaster @chitzkoi

2 Likes

Ive made it, Ive been very distracted by work so havent written the post yet tho

5 Likes

Guess thats the thing, spirit is ephemeral, for me it was about reducing the pile of shame, not a paint the most tally.

If I buy 60 models, and sell 60 models I already had. I’m still net zero as far my pile of shame goes. It’s not really any more complicated than that. I don’t need to think about intention towards the model (?!?) or timeframes of the purchase.

3 Likes

Totally fair for you, it’s a personal thing right - the element that’s artificial in all this is the faux-competitive graph, where I personally am trying to engage the competitive spirit to encourage painting productivity. We had a vote on what counts as finished painting previously too, which I’m sticking to.

3 Likes