[WHFB] Waaagh! Rudnik - Night Goblin Auxiliaries [2023-10-22]

Haha, I don’t even know how they are in 8th tbh :see_no_evil: LD10 is def gone, but I think swarms are still unbreakable/unstable? Something like that. So not very durable :joy: and they have these 6“ S2 no armour weapons, too funny if they take down a Chaos Knight…

The infamous Squig Gobba and two mighty Mangler Squigs

The Squig Gobba is totally bonkers. It follows the usual grimmer Forgeworld aesthetic. The rules found in Monstrous Arcanum are really not that great, I just use it as a night-gobliny Doom Diver proxy. Fits quite well imho, I just say the little squigs bounce once instead of the doom diver manipulating his flightpath.

The Manglers are probably the best units in the entire army and I was very happy when GW released these classic models. And with two-part epoxy and some pins they are surprisingly sturdy.

13 Likes

They look great, jealous of squig lobba. I remember reading the rules thinking it was terrible many years ago. Have you got a colossal squig yet?

1 Like

Thanks mate!

No, don’t have a Colossal Squig. I don’t like the rules (and don’t have something to proxy in mind. Maybe a giant? Not sure) but I also don’t reaaaaaally like the model. That running pose is weird imho. Something like the artwork in the book would be much better. I think I saw some 3d printed ones which looked quite nice.

Gorgeous mushrooms, great contrast with the squigs. I like how you’ve flipped the script on how those colors are used in most squigs with mushroom bases. The gobba is such a fun diorama piece!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your kind words, much appreciated!
I’m quite happy with the mushrooms as well. Really looking forward to seeing it all together.

1 Like

Rockgut Troggoths.
I like that kit very much! The way it goes together is quite genius, and they even rank up!

I went more or less with the box art but adapted to my Night Goblin colours. I couldn’t really do the blue-skin-blend, but I think they still look pretty nice. And that blue is a little different from the Squig one, that was important.

14 Likes

Beautiful mate, spot on color choises!

1 Like

Thanks mate! The “official” colours really played into my hand :joy: And with the skin-tone bellies there’s enough to set them apart from the squigs. I hope :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Stole the words right out of my squigs mouth! Really great work on the two skintones, especially given a cold to warm transition.

1 Like

Thanks Reaver, much appreciated :pray:

1 Like

6 Fungus Troggoths

So I had these Fellwater Troggoths since when they were still known as River Trolls. Back then, these were the only multi-part plastic Trolls available. I felt that River Trolls wouldn’t really fit with my Night Goblins though, so I decided to convert them to Fungus Trolls. I filed away all the scales to “clean them up” and put some mushrooms on them. That was way before Mollog’s Mob, mind you! I think a -1 to hit in close combat can definitely be explained by some foul mushroom stench too.

I’m reasonably happy with how it all turned out, but feel it’s not my best work. I wanted to go for a dark hide with lighter bellies, but think it’s a little bland overall. Maybe I’ll change it to black. Might look better.

11 Likes

Great thread, love Destruction and the greenskins! Just saw the thoughts about giant cave squid and thought Id link GorksSculpts. Got a few myself and can really recommend them!

3 Likes

Excellent link, thanks! Just a few days ago I again had a long look at the forgeworld Colossal Squig and almost bought it - it’s the collector in me, I can barely help it :sweat_smile: but it was temporarily unavailable at that time so I didn’t. I’m sure the FW model has awesome detail when you have it in your hands, but that pose remains weird for me. Why is it looking down so much? It’s not a Bull with horns, what’s he doing? And that left leg up like that, I don’t know. That one you’ve linked looks much better!
But I also looked at his stats/rules again. I only knew I didn’t like them, but I didn’t really know anymore why. And at first I thought „well, random movement, random attacks, that’s all very good and squiggy, what was my problem?“ but then I realized again: it lacks the whole mangler-Squig/fanatic mechanic. It’s just a monster with D6 attacks. At I1 and WS2. Why WS2? Even regular squigs have WS4! So you’ll charge a unit and take all the attacks (granted, against T6 und W6) only then to roll a 2 for your attacks and then not hitting anything. Sure then there might be thunderstomp, but it’s a good chance you’ll lose that combat - at LD3! And the colossal squig is neither immune to psychology nor unbreakable. And for the same price you get two (!) mangler squigs who just make 2D6 S6 hits each and be done with it.
So all in all it would be my worst rare choice after Manglers, Trolls, Giant, Pump Wagon and the Doom Diver. I would bring it only in the largest of games. And while I’m certainly not above getting a model just for having it (instead of the colossal Squig I ordered something else that day, but more about it in my batg thread soon), but that’s usually really awesome models and I wasn’t willing to cough up 90€ for one which I like neither as a model not on the battlefield. 3rd party models like the one you posted are a muuuuuch better choice here I think.

2 Likes

I own both FWs and one of the GorksSculpts ones, Id say the later is way better than the FW which I honestly wouldn’t bother with unless you want it for completion.

2 Likes

Amazing Night Goblin army! Love the mixture of models and especially your paintjobs.

1 Like

I played around with PS to see if I might be able to repose the FW one a little more to my liking. I had a similar problem with my LKM Sorcerer-Prophet on the Raging Heroes Lammasu, where the SP was basically looking (and shooting his fireball) directly in front of the Lammasu. Looks OK if a small model is standing right in front of it, but it just looked very weird the rest of the time. A tactical rock could alleviate this quite well

So, putting the Colossal Squig on an upwards slope would be a mandatory first step. The hind leg could maybe be repositioned at the hip too. Would probably require a large mushroom or something like this to mask how awkward it would look :slight_smile: Reposing the knee might be too much.

Soooo, yeah, still not convinced. The whole thing will remain on hold for the time being.

P.s. Or I just do this. He looks very fast!

Thank you so much, Admiral! There’s photos of the whole army coming soon. Can’t wait seeing it all together for the first time myself.

6 Likes

Haha, love the last pic of the Cave Squig! I mounted mine on a brass rod, would recomend it!

3 Likes

5 Likes

Loonshrine

I don’t need to play AoS to have this fantastic terrain piece I decided.

It can just sit on the table or proxy for some of the spooky terrain in WHFB 8th. Idol of Gork (or More), for example. I also could see it in a campaign mission where it will constantly spawn Night Goblins (or Squigs?) and someone just has to survive as long as possible or escape. In any way, such a lovely model.

9 Likes