[Archive] Slave Units

Xander:

Our two main Slave units (apart from Hobgoblins) are [[Orcs]] and [[Goblins]]. In the [[Grudgebearer]] novel, the slaves are described as more than just Orcs, but also Men, and other such things. So basically I am thinking of converting a Slave unit of mixed races and treating them as Orcs. I figure I will assemble a unit of 25 slaves with hand weapons and sheilds, and since they are on 25mm bases that I would only use Slaves that would be on 25mm bases already. These include Marauders, Beastman, and Orcs themselves. I would consider these my tough slaves. Man sized creatures, and smaller that come on 20mm bases would form weak slaves. Creatures like, Men, Dwarfs, Skaven, and Goblin. Since Goblins suck, I would probably use weak slaves under the hobgoblin rules.

I also intend to GS some rag-like clothing on the models to unify their appearance. What are your thoughts on this idea?

StyrofoamKing:

Don’t forget Lizardmen from the South.

Hashut’s Blessing:

That’s what I would’ve said and planned to do [[Xander]]! Saurus for [[Orcs]] and Skinks for [[Hobgoblins]]. (That was in response to StyrofoamKing).

Xander:

It’s funny, just the other day I was reading this old WHRP book where is said tons of Lizardman retreated into the darkest caverns of the Dark Lands and the Mountains of Mourn. So we might very well have some slaves like that. Mind you, that’s very old fluff.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Oh well. If it gives you a good reason, then do it!

Revlid:

It's funny, just the other day I was reading this old WHRP book where is said tons of Lizardman retreated into the darkest caverns of the Dark Lands and the Mountains of Mourn.��So we might very well have some slaves like that.��Mind you, that's *very* old fluff.

Xander
I thought they were mainly from the Dragon Isles, which is just off our coast and which we have a fortress on?

In any case, the idea sounds good. And you could use Ogre Slaves/Slaver Dioramas as filler! Not to mention using any leftover pick-axes from the BfSP Miners for Choppas.

StyrofoamKing:

When you DO make humans, make sure you throw in some Cathayans.

Ellimist:

Another idea: to unify them, put chains on their legs made from [wiki]Greenstuff[/wiki]. Or possibly make several on one long base (for easy casualty removal) and join them with chained together collars.

Bill-117:

Actually, for the chains, I bought these really cheesy-@$$ earrings with, like, thirty chains per earring with just thing in mind.

Also, add some Gnoblars, since CD’s do “business deals” with Ogres, and the odd headraggled Dwarf or too, just to make vanilla-Stunty players mad. >=D

Hobgoblyn:

Ummm… Why would humans slaves have Orc stats?

If anything, they’d have stat identical to Hobgoblins.

Bill-117:

I think he said that they would. ^^;

Hobgoblyn:

Ah… I didn’t read it correctly, I withdraw my question.

wallacer:

I’m all in favour of subbing in other races miniatures, especially as I don’t own many Greenskins. Hopefully when (or if) the new CD army book comes out, it’ll have more racial variety in slaves. You would think they would have human slaves, and possibly even skaven and ogres.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think slaves would only be sent as a diversion and to soak up fire, if at all. Slaves are quite valuable when it is the trade of your realm. The ogres would have to be separate because they are so different and could use the chains to make the smaller slaves makeshift flails. If a slave unit WAS used, it should have models of all races (maybe 20mms are weaker stats and 25mm are stronger [although 25mm probably wouldn’t be included due to the strength and ferocity of those on them…?]) and there is a generic statline for the unit…

Xander:

Yes, slaves are valuable, but winning Battles and securing even more slaves is vital. Plus, we send our strong (Orc) slaves to fight. They are far more useful on the battlefield than in mines.

My current lot of guys will include Orcs, Beastman, Marauders, and maybe a Fimir or two from my HeroQuest game.

If I were to make Goblin sized slaves they would include, Goblins, Men (Empire Militia), Skaven, Elves (Wood Elves) and Dwarfs.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I would’ve said that Orcs would be worth more in the mines. We wouldn’t equip them greatly and they have a very high risk of death. Strong arms last longer with mining as well. However, I do understand that they are generally better at fighting and also usually more likely to try and break free. Oh well, each can decide how their slaves behave, eh? All down to individual fluff.

Xander:

Sure they are stronger, but men and dwarfs have their own mines and are more than capable. Plus they are smarter, less likely to cave-in the mines etc. Put 'em on the battlefield! :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone else have a slave unit? Or do people only use Orc models?

mousekiller:

Great idea Xander, and more believable I think than Orcs as slaves.

DANEK:

Another idea: to unify them, put chains on their legs made from [wiki]Greenstuff[/wiki]. Or possibly make several on one long base (for easy casualty removal) and join them with chained together collars.

Ellimist
Agreed.

I'd try to go for a seriously brutalized and emaciated look to the slaves as well. The Ghoul models would work great for human slaves. Just swap heads and you're good to go. You may also want to check the Mordenhiem line as well.

I'd also try making the weapons really crude. Clubs, pick axes and the like. After all, their Overseers wouldn't want them being armed with anything remotely valuable.

First post BTW. Hi everyone.:)

Xander:

Well, they’d want their slaves to be able to fight the enemy and defend themselves. Slaves are like currency, we don’t want to just waste them. We’d arm them with the means to fight. Orcs use crude Choppas anyhow. So I envision something equally as crude, but still effective.