Artisan's Contest XXXIV: Design Ewal Dvergar

“Bite their ankles!”

Old School Miniatures Presents: The 34th Artisan’s Contest on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by Old School Miniatures! The gold winner will receive a £50 OSM voucher, courtesy of @oldschoolminis :

The silver winner will carry home a £20 OSM voucher, courtesy of @oldschoolminis :

While the bronze winner will claim a £10 OSM voucher, courtesy of @oldschoolminis :

Whereas one lucky entrant will receive a random draw prize of an Eastern Dwarf Sorcerer & Assistant plus Saruhan Command, courtesy of @chitzkoi :

And the one lucky entrant will carry home a random draw prize of an unpainted kit of Tjubbutaur Herd from @Tjub:

Last but not least, Oldschool minis will give the winner of its own pick for their range a free copy of the made miniature. Sculpted by John Pickford (see below for details):

Subject Matter: Design Ewal Dvergar!

This Artisan’s Contest is a special one. We want you to come up with an idea for a new war machine, a regiment, a character or some other unit that fits in with the Ewal Dvergar range, akin to something that could have been made in the 1980s, but never was.

Entries should consist of some text and a drawing/3D-render; or some text and a mock-up miniature conversion or sculpt/print; or a mixture of both text, drawing and mock-up. Mock-up models may be entered painted or unpainted; the focus is on communicating a new unit concept.

For this particular contest, you are limited to one new unit idea for your entry. The focus is on best idea rather than on best art or mock-up.

This competition is double-layered: On the one hand, we have our ordinary community voting, medals and prizes here on CDO. On the other hand, Old School Miniatures will also pick a winner of their own (which may very well be the Gold winner in the competition, though they could pick someone else). Whoever wins OSM’s pick will get their idea sculpted by John Pickford and cast for the Ewal Dvergar range.

Please note that for this round of contest, a 1980s style of design is most preferable (and OSM’s own pick will revolve around it, so no big hat or Hellcannon style ideas for sculpting, unless OSM happens to find a good way to reverse-engineer an idea in a different style to a 1980s take - it’s their call), but since this is a CDO contest you are still free to enter with whatever style you like. Still, this could be a fun chance for adherents of various other evil dwarf styles to try out the 1980s style, so don’t miss out on this opportunity to try out different design shoes and potentially even have your idea made into miniature reality by John Pickford himself! :cd1980:

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact @Admiral and he’ll sort it out with the rest of the Staff.

Specifics
Subject: Design Ewal Dvergar
The Due Date: 11:59 PM May 23rd, 2022 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Artisan’s Contests before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent either to the @GoldenHat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 4 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @Admiral. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Upload any number of photos of your entry to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur or with this forum’s direct upload function. Next, send a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous contests).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Artisan’s Contest Gallery.
  • Receive the Artisan’s Contest medal for your online persona (our latest update gave us problems with medals, so this is pending technical difficulties).
  • Win miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!

20 Likes

This is a serious serious comp!

13 Likes

I love the idea of this, bit beyond my skill level though haha

But i win anyway as more cool chaos dwarf stuff will become available

6 Likes

Remember that anything as simple as mounting a miniature upon a monster can be a mock-up. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Exciting new take on an arsetisans contest. I’ll enter something, might even get started this weekend.

searches list of bad ideas for 80s concepts

11 Likes

Alright, looks like it’s an 80’s movie and cartoon weekend for me! Start with Heavy Metal and Transformers, and then move into Conan the Barbarian, Masters of the Universe, and Ator. Then Reb Brown movies for good measure. And of course sprinkle in some dino-riders, real ghostbusters, voltron, dungeons and dragons, and some thunder cats. So if the Dwarfs are a little too Snarf-like, that’s me, don’t vote for that.

Seriously, sounds like an amazing contest and I am looking forward to seeing all of the other entries.

7 Likes

A really exciting AC, although I really have no idea what I could design, nor how it would be feasible. The muse must really kiss me to get an idea … :thinking:

5 Likes

Have 3 ideas, drawn one up already

7 Likes

I actually had a whole handful of your creations in mind when I asked if mock-up models were fine during planning. :smile:

5 Likes

This one should suit you really well @Zoddtheimmortal

5 Likes

Too much of the praise, I really have no idea at the moment. But let’s see, there is still some time! :wink:

5 Likes

THIS is some serious contest! 1 month to came up with something proper
guys this is great! :cd1980:

6 Likes

I have one idea and one only. I will focus on it and not create a maelstrom of shit in my brain (this time)

8 Likes

I’m in the same boat, i have one idea, it is neither clever nor original, but i’m going to run with it and see how far i can take it.

6 Likes

Just do something you want in your army! chances are it’s something someone else would want too! Either way there’s two competitions here. It doesn’t have to be something OSM would love to win the big prize and it doesn’t have to win the big prize to be something OSM would want!

8 Likes

I’m going to try to enter something. Good thing about the Artisan’s Contest is that it does not need to be finished :smile:

6 Likes

The key is a good idea not artistic skill.

Stick dwarfs or a collage will work.

If we decide to make it you will work with john Pickford on the details

9 Likes

I was hoping to get an idea for a cool war machine, maybe it will be a special character model?! Let’s see … :thinking:

7 Likes

On the fence for this one, but will likely enter something. My ideas of late tend towards over the top, massive, rather than old school styling, so will have to think of something appropriate for the theme. No brilliant idea’s come to mind yet, but we shall see.

2 Likes

Over the top, massive and old school styling may also go well together. :wink:

3 Likes