CDO Meetup 2022 - Gaming Thread

… and a Legion of Azgorh list but we’re using the WAP 8th Chaos Dwarf book, right? Probably some differences…

But really nice to see you liked the list and were effective with it :slight_smile:

I’d say at some point we should do some shared google doc or equivalent and just make a list of who is going to bring what?! Both gaming-wise as well as consumables for the weekend.

3 Likes

Chaos dwarfs can be quite elite if you do proper heavy infantry and warmachines etc. Good for keeping points costs high.

1 Like

Indeed!

But model count is a factor too though. Especially with big units

2 Likes

Yes absolutely. I’ve been using these surveys as a way to

A) whittle down the options and unite us around some key agreements
B) making sure we hear everyone’s voice, and nobody feels pressured to give a particular answer

Now that we’ve got a clear sense of what we’ll do, with 8th edition WAP and no more than two side games, we can figure out who wants to do what. Quite apart from anything else, I’ll have to make a list and paint an army!

2 Likes

The grey mountain won’t come to Mohammed…

1 Like

My apologies for being late to the party! I’ve never played a game of WHFB, but would be happy to give it a go. But I’m not sure how many models I’d be able to bring (most likely I’d be arriving by train).

Also, I echo any calls for an introduction to WoE, @Oxymandias ! :hatoff:

4 Likes

Damn you all. Haha

I’m a teacher and this is day off! @Antenor i thought you’d understand buddy haha :joy:

4 Likes

So we should maybe quickly talk about some game-mechanics for the retreat. (I’ll make this a wiki post)

We decided on 1500pts games for the main battles, using WHFB 8th edition (latest errata v1.9) and the 8th edition Warhammer Armies Project army list for Chaos Dwarfs.

Couple of things to decide upon:

• Are we going to set up any custom rules? Changing rules, banning certain items etc?
  • What about Special Characters? Back in the days, you needed to agree on using them, GW moved away from that, but maybe we should just have a quick chat about it
  • What about WYSIWYG and Proxys? Anything goes, a laissez-faire approach or rules-as-writting?
  • Do we exchange army lists beforehand or do we want surprises during the games?

Personally my gaming buddy and I don’t restrict anything from the army lists and are fairly laid-back about WYSIWYG and proxy. We don’t use shoe boxes for units or so, but it doesn’t matter if a character does not have a physical shield or great weapon etc. We have a few custom rules (mainly line of sight and terrain etc), but largely we play by the book.
I think we all want to have a good time at the retreat, so we should just make these things clear from the get go, that’s always a good idea.

Custom rules for the CDO Retreat

• Relentless: Units entirely composed of models with this special rule do not need to pass a Leadership test in order to march, regardless of the proximity of enemy units.
1 Like

Same, though prefer painted vs gray.

No objection either way.

I’d think keeping it somewhat vanilla would be good, but I don’t mind either way.

2 Likes

I feel like we need to have a list deadline, like a golden hat, all submit them to a neutral party (maybe even someone who won’t attend), and then announce them.

That way, nobody can re-compose their list after they’ve submitted it once they see the lists of others, but also nobody can wait to see the lists of others and write theirs to counter.

I am laid back about WYSIWYG and proxying. Of course painting is the goal for us all but if someone goes to all the effort to bring something all that way I’m not going to reufse a game against them.

I personally think named characters are lame and we shouldn’t use them but I understand that this is a minority view and we may want to vote on it.

If there are notorious game-breakers in 8th edition we should exclude them.

Everyone wil make a “take all comers” list anyway. Why reveal it?

1 Like

Fair point, just felt like getting psyched. the key for me is that we dont re-list armies on the fly. I say this as a player with no experience, most likely to make a glaring mistake :smiley:

1 Like

One thing I’d change in 8th Ed WAP is get rid of chaos dwarfs can March 3x move its Silly and they got rid of it in the 9th Ed version replacing it the generic dwarfs can’t be March blocked rule. That the house rule I’ve been using with them in local games

2 Likes

As far as list writing I’ll be taking what’s cool not what’s good. Please don’t take anything I write as a serious attempt at list writing haha

1 Like

As far as what people take: WYSIWYG need not be enforced as long as it’s explained to everyone you play.

Painted is my preference tho. I want lots of Zine battle reports and pics of these :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never take them myself. My dudes are cooler than any game designers imagination! haha

2 Likes

And they’re too expensive anyway

1 Like

May be of interest to attendees: Chaos Dwarf Reference Cards: 8th Edition WAP

2 Likes