Halgar Hellgaze's Doomseekers [2022-08-09] GH XXXIX

Yes all printed! The base is a remixed oval base i use for all my CD models. Its part of a deamons release.

The big guy is going to be a destroyer. Its sort of a fantasy mech with whisps of steam but i think they look more like fire anyways. I believe its a titan forhe model. Vonidod is the name.

And there is also this guy

And one for scale

7 Likes

Looking great!

2 Likes

Wow… that gold took way longer then I figured it would…

Does anyone else hate painting gold/orange/yellow?

Anyway. Here are the golden boys. On to silver trimmings…

3 Likes

Sorry for the potato photo…

This is with silver trimming
20201219_142918

Everything will become darker in the end with the shading.

6 Likes

My preferred method for painting gold is to use silver and then give it a sepia wash; so much easier than using actual gold paint.

4 Likes

My New gold recipe is paint it bronze, wash with a gloss flesh tone, layer with gold, wash with diluted purple ink, highlight with silver

Sounds mad (especially the purple bit) but actually works . I’m sure someone who understands art and colour Better than me could explain why haha

4 Likes

mostly because purple is complementar with yellow/gold.
same reason why i make shadows on humanoid skin with purple and a bit of brown, in that case because purple is a warmer color (as usually shadows are) and it is the next color on the colorwheel, so shades gradually into that

for gold i go with bronze base, wash of brown/flesh tone depending on the effect i want to achieve, then gold on smaller areas. a touch of silver to the final mix to add some smaller highlights and that’s it

3 Likes

Thank you @Lord_of_Uzkulak, @Oxymandias, @Loidrial for the advise. I will keep it in mind.

1 Like

I printed some unit fillers i can drop in pretty much any infantry unit and have it look good.

I want to make mini dioramas when the army is painted that fit in each unit. Buuut… I don’t have the time right now.

4 Likes

So… much… metal…

Its going to look cool though!

The idea behind the gold and silver as opposed to blackshard or what have you is that they are mining for something they want and the gold and silver is just a byproduct they use and mix in their alloys. Not because they think its pretty but because it makes the metal stronger and better.

3 Likes

Gold is actually quite a soft metal and quite heavy, but no reason it couldn’t be enchanted gold or something. :wink:

I know, thats why i need a back story :13:, the enchanted part is good to add to the alloy part!

now… heavy… are you implying a dwarf couldn’t handle it? :24:

1 Like

They probably could, but it’d still be pretty heavy. A quick google tells me that gold is almost 2.5 times as heavy as steel. A suit of full plate is anything from 33lbs to 55lbs, so if it was solid gold it’d be about 80-133lbs. That should be well within the carrying capacity of a dwarf, and of course they wouldn’t be wearing a suit made from 100% gold.

So… it appears you were more correct about their width than I feared…

There is no way I can rank these up in 20mm bases…

After about an hour of puzzling I gave up. I will print this unit again at 85%…

1 Like

Oh no…Use unit fillers? I think reaver has a bunch of low lying ones. I could be wrong . Drinking plenty :17: pity to do all that painting again.

1 Like

I could put effort into saving them but ill never be 100% happy with them and if i print more they will look weird. So i would rather start over now…

I mean its not that much work, and I’m thinking about using another color scheme anyway!

1 Like

You are right. Scrap em. Make it right for you or you ll always be annoyed that it isnt quite right.

I think less gold and maybe purple might work well. But im biased, as you can see from my blog im v drawn to pinks purples and blues. :17:

21 replacement models printed already and they fit muuuuch better. I have 7 unique models, printed in batches of 3 and 4. I’m going to print 35 of them. Currently printing batch 7/10 at 5 hours each. They’re printed at 85%.

Also, there is a positive side effect to scaling down these pre-supported models! The supports are also smaller and much easier to remove with less damage!

5 Likes

I have to say I like them better smaller.

2 Likes

Can you probably make a comparison photo with other models, for example from GW, Mantic or RA?!