Oxymandias the mad - My Chaos Dwarf Projects

Hello all,

Joined CDO last year then had a break from my big hats and got involved in various other projects. I came back to find there’s a new forum! (Thank you @tjub for pointing me in the right direction!) Hoping to continue the evil little stunties now.

I’ll post what I’ve already completed here and update as I add more painted models!
These were the first dudes I painted:

Then i took part in a golden hat competition and managed to get second place with my sculpted sorcerer:

Last night I finished painting my first chaos dwarfs for nearly a year…

I bought so many toys when I first started this project so I’ve got lots to keep me busy. Lots more warriors, daemonsmiths, lammasu, Taurus, centaurs, hobgobbos, artillery and much more!

Hopefully I’ll start chipping away that the grey pile of shame and post progress here :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Great to see this blog moved to the new forum. Beautiful work. I’m looking forward to seeing more! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great painting, I like it much better than the comic-like GW-painting!

1 Like

Cool. Great to see more “Zonk” models, with a really dark theme color scheme as well. Ace! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful work. The Red and Black + lava scheme works very well!

1 Like

these looks stellar. love the axes and the flame hat!

2 Likes

I still remember the first time I saw your floating sorcerer, my jaw dropped in admiration and a bit of jealousy.
He really is very cool!

3 Likes

Beautiful paintjobs! And conversions.

2 Likes

Your step by step for your Sorcerer was humbling. So many more steps than I ever envisioned and so much patience, I really loved it

1 Like

Thanks! Was a labour of love that one! Especially when he started life as a golf tee :joy:. Currently sculpting a new model. A rank and file dude. Wanna keep him simple though - no more floating craziness. I want to see if I can make it simple enough to be press-mouldable and make a unit or two from him. Pretty new to blue stuff and home casting so see how that goes. Feel like my sculpting has improved since that sorcerer tho - although I haven’t sculpted a whole model since, I’ve done lots of bits and pieces such as arms, hands and faces on my other projects. Hoping it all comes together on this soldier I’m planning!

2 Likes

WIP great Taurus

15 Likes

IT looks evil for sure! Great scheme. :slight_smile:

What do you know, they do look good with big hats :grin::wink:
Love the classic colour scheme and mix of marauder bits but those conversions are something else, amazing work

1 Like

Great scheme for the Taurus skin! The cracking/internal magma effect is looking great

1 Like

Beautiful Taurus conversion and love the basing as well! I’ve had my eye on that model, but never thought of using it in that way. :+1:

1 Like

Latest addition: Orc slaves!

They’ve been down in the mines too long and lost that healthy green glow. I had many modern orcs I could have used for these but they all looked far too well fed. These heroquest orcs I feel are suitably skinny to be the slaves of my chaos dwarf force.

9 Likes

Nice use of classic Heroquest minis. Using older, classic orc minis over newer ones is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time now, precisely for the reasons you give; the leaner and more characterful style being due to having spent generations down the mines and having feasted on a poorer diet than free orcs (similarly is like to do the same with goblins for the same reason).

Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Excellent take on slave orcs, not least with the pallid skin tones and choice of models. The chains are a perfect touch! Lovely painted as always.

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: what he said

Amazing stuff, do you use anything in the bases to get that effect or is it painted?

The bases in this army were originally sculpted details by me but it was taking forever! So now only special characters get that treatment haha. Rank n file are getting these pre made resin bases. Dirt cheap . £3.50 for ten on eBay.

They come unpainted so I just spray em black, then I start with dark red and build up all the way to bright yellow to get the effect. Takes longer than pva glue and flock on some
Of my other Armies I can tell ya haha.

1 Like