War Against The Gray [BATG 2023 overview thread]

BatG is largely a battle against yourself, which I think has helped its appeal and traction in the community (as opposed to something like a who can paint the most competition). People can engage and succeed (or drown in grey shame) at their own pace. It’s not serious, and it’s not about the rankings.

Community graphs and badges at arbitrary numbers are just a bit of forum fun to keep it lively.

And as a result I think we get to see more painted models on the forum than we would otherwise. The total aggregate shame reduction last year was quite impressive!

You possess the keys to victory in your very own hands BATG warriors.

5 Likes

Am I a big dumb dumb or is there no link to the spreadsheet in the post?

Its there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know that I am late to the party, but I need as much motivation and accountability as I can get. I already had a rough start to the year because when GW dropped new Chaos Warriors, I ran out and bought all of them even though I already have enough models to field several armies. (I am always a sucker for new sculpts and the plastic Chaos Chosen are gorgeous.) It looks like I am 79 models in the negative, but I can turn this ship around! I just finished putting paint on these two guys today. Is it bad if after painting two test models, I want to fire up the 3D printer and make a hundred more of these guys? Seriously, these Fabelzel sculpts are incredible!

9 Likes

Haha, do it… There is always time to paint, we are only in Mars. :thinking: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Beware @BATG_Warriors it’s almost time for the Q1 earnings report. ding dong doom :bell:

Emerge from your sheds and submit your scores to the grand spreadsheet.

I hope all of the hand grenades you’ve dropped at your own feet are worth their weight in plastic gold! I know mine are.

7 Likes

Time for this again

11 Likes

It’s been a paltry month BATGers. Zhatan has been fighting off Grimgor’s Waaagh while his other generals batter down the walls of Cathay.

I have managed to get about 100 models cleaned, based, primed, and base-coated… and other than a single tomb king model… They are all Chaos Dwarf related! So exciting painting ahead.

Keep up the good work warriors!

7 Likes

I added the Spreadsheet link to the initial post…

Good to see most of you kept up the good work @BATG_Warriors !!

Good as in keeping track… not perse in how you score!

very impressed by @Pyroven’s honesty :smiley: Good on you!

8 Likes

OHHHHH WE’RE HALFWAY THERE

OH-OHH

LIVIN’ ON A PRAYER!

Grab your brush

We’ll make it I swear

OH-OHH

LIVIN’ ON A PRAYER

2 Likes

People who are selling/giving away models - how are you tracking them on the spreadsheet? Last month I put them down as negative added models, since it didn’t seem right to put them into Painted - they’re not painted.

Does anyone mind if I keep putting them as negative added models? Or should I put them into Painted instead?

2 Likes

Well, IF they are on my to paint list for this BATG, i just subtract them from my added… but usually i don’t count them.

That said… it hasn’t happened a lot :smiley: #hoarding

3 Likes

Uh, I don’t really have a list or a plan or anything - I just have a cupboard.

A very full cupboard :melting_face:

Hm, technically you could score black shard that way by just giving away stuff – I personally do not mind as this is just some fun online competition – but it would distort the statistics somewhat. Wouldn’t it make more sense to only subtract models you bought the same year (basically the Get Out Of Jail Free Card for impulse purchases)? I mean BATG is not about book keeping but a measure of productivity vs. new purchases. Just my two cents.

1 Like

OR, hear me out, you PAINT them first, THEN sell! If you do a good enough paint job you can likely sell them for more (that’s honestly what I do with those models that I have “just to paint”).

2 Likes

As we always say when these discussions pop up

If someone would want to score blackshard that way… let them… :smiley:
if their need for some stupid internet cred is worth the effort of buying and selling stuff and “tricking the system”… who cares haha…

As i said, but didnt explain well enough, i only did it when i got rid of some models i planned on painting that year (by which i meant, aqquired that year)

4 Likes

May I just remind everyone that it’s lonely here at the top. I think we need @chitzkoi to do some roasting.
@MichaelX , where’s the competition? Last year you absolutely crushed the BATG

3 Likes

Yeah, I reckon @MichaelX has the right of it - models bought & sold in the same year should cancel out, but selling old old stuff shouldn’t count - it’s just a internet points, but earning them by emptying the cupboard is against the spirit of the thing.

I’ll put them in my secondary count only.

@KhamdrimSkyMaster I’m working on it, just slowwwwly.

3 Likes

Who wants two internet creds of the same variety. The real challenge is to buy just enough to make sure I don’t get blackshard again.

That’s what I keep telling myself when things are in-cart.

5 Likes