ZODDs Realm of Chaos(-dwarf)

WOW, fantastic painting job! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

@Zoddtheimmortal so cool! Love the colour choices :smiley:

Fits in with your force perfectly

1 Like

Yep love this, love the choice of colours too, always blowing my mind with this

2 Likes

Latest unit finished. They took a long time to paint. Hope you like them :hashut:

I was going for the old school crazy colours as usual. These guys will form the backbone of my larger scale cd army. A pain to rank up sadly.

12 Likes

The unit looks great! :skull1: Would like to see more of your creations! :smile:

1 Like

These are SO good!

1 Like

Agreed, these are very cool indeed

1 Like

haha funny :stuck_out_tongue: you are too modest. We love these!

1 Like

Fantastic paint job! Love these classic miniatures. I have to say I am really tempted by these to start yet another project…

1 Like

Cheers anzu. Please do start a similar project. Im always looking for the next trick or idea to give me ideas or inspiration :cd1991gif:

So I nearly blew my like quota in this thread, one thing stood out to me which I quoted above and must say your conversions are spot on mate, I doubt many would be able to tell the difference. You have done such a great job in making and painting these mini’s, they really capture the Chaos Dwarf feel.
Your painting is also just off the scale, the level of detail you pick out with the brush is mind boggling! I am glad I finally got caught up with this thread, it is really something that needs to be seen by anyone that loves the Dawi Zharr! Hats off to you mate :hatoff:

2 Likes

Thankyou very much deebo. Really high praise indeed. I really enjoy painting chaos dwarves, above all else. I see them as a horde army though, massed ranks is what im about.ive been collecting and painting goblins for forever so maybe it isnt surprising.

I tried starting squats, but just not the same level of satisfaction painting them.

Its great to see all these returning old cdo gents such as yourself and all the enthusiasm you bring.

Cheers

1 Like

This is one of the things im working on at the moment. Immortals made out various monopose chaos warriors. Really hard to rank up, but i think they look hard-as-nails.
Takes a lot of time cutting off all the limbs and carving heads.

8 Likes

These do look absolutely nails!

1 Like

So i tried making a wet pallet for 1st time ever…

Am i doing it right?
Blister pack sponge, kitchen roll, baking paper. Paint Seemed to stay wet.

Any tips?

Cheers

3 Likes

looks fine. Won’t be as “good” as one you buy, because they use different kinds of materials. but you will get the idea. And, as you said… if the paint stays wet its working. The differences between DIY and bought is mainly ease of use.

1 Like

I’d suggest to cut the baking paper to fit the sponge. In my experience, the flatter and smoother the paper goes on the sponge, less likely the chance of getting bumps and dry spots. You can make a template and cut up a big bunch to size to make it fast and easy to change paper.
As an upgrade, you could look for a container with a deeper lid, and use the lid as the palette instead of the container, so you don’t have to reach down so deep to get paint.
You could also be on the hunt for better sponge material. Any flat, smooth absorbent material should work just fine. I use a piece of an absorbent mat I nabbed at work and it works way better than paper, rags and the kitchen rag-sponge thing I used to use.

3 Likes

Cheers kingkobra. Ill try and do as you suggest. I found condensation on the lid dropped down overnight and made the paint too watery, so i guess its better to keep lid ajar to let it evaporate.

Welcome to cdo as well :hashut:

Thanks!

Yeah, I forgot about that. Keep the lid ajar, or off, if it’s humid. And the sponge should be really wet, so refill when it dries out. The only problems I’ve had with metal paints in the wet palette is making them too runny. This mainly counts for really weak metal paints too. Vallejo silver, for example, keeps good coverage even when a bit runny. Btw, they don’t contaminate other paints by seeping through the sponge or anything like that. If it could, how come other paints don’t?

Also, If you mix a lot and quickly run out of space, you could look out for a bigger container. Marco Frisoni on youtube suggested the big ferrero rocher boxes as a good alternative.

2 Likes

Finally started getting stuff painted again after 1st of hopefully 2 dreaded competency interviews:

Its bad light for photos but not too bothered :smiley:

3 more of my immortals including the rather large champion

And more cds for my 25mm scale cds. There is a reason why i didnt photograph them together.
The larger 28mm scale allows for lots of conversions but hard to rank up.
The smaller scale ones are just lovely so ill not be cutting them up.

Also working on em4 crossbow conversions 25p a model but hours of labour haha

6 Likes