Artisan's Contest XXXIII - Winners!

“Ya will regret bein’ kaptured alive.”

Zanko & Antenor Presents: The winners of the 33rd Artisan’s Contest!

We had a fine turnout of entries, with submissions spanning from wolf riders and portraits flying ships to comedic pieces and sportgobs. It was great to see all these treacherous and marvellous Hobgoblin creations!

And the winners are:

1st Place - Golden Hat Winner: Entry #10 - @Forgefire
2nd Place - Silver Hat Winner: Entry #5 - @Admiral
3rd Place - Bronze Hat Winner: Entry #6 - @Loidrial

The entry key!

01 - @Reaver
02 - @Stumpy
03 - @Oxymandias
04 - @MichaelX
05 - @Admiral
06 - @Loidrial
07 - @Zoddtheimmortal
08 - @KhamdrimSkyMaster
09 - @denelian5
10 - @Forgefire
11 - @Jamros
12 - @Vapo

Medals are incoming, thanks to the sterling efforts of @Oxymandias who carried over old CDO medals to CDO Discourse badges! Should you have earned a new Veteran’s Medal (gained at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 main contests entered), please contact us and link us all your entries in all previous Golden Hat and Artisan’s Contest competitions on both old and new CDO (note: Scribe’s Contest does not count towards this purpose, but have its own Veteran Scribe’s Medal).

And now for the prizes!

First off, @Forgefire with his evocative Hobgoblin rider and tent painting will receive a rider miniature, courtesy of @Zanko :

For his cavalry painting, @denelian5 carries home a kit of 15mm Tjubling Skull Masks from @Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

For his groundbreaking cuff, @Loidrial will grab a kit of 15mm Tjubgob Command #1 from @Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

While @Jamros by random draw wins an unpainted Evil Dwarf Grenadier, kindly donated by @Antenor !

A big “thanks” to everyone who participated and voted, as well as a big thanks to our sponsors @Zanko and @Antenor !

And that’s it for this round of Artisan’s Contest. All entrants are encouraged to post their work elsewhere on the forum and present it, whether in army logs, a story & background thread (if the artwork have accompanying writing), an art thread or some other thread they might conjure up. :wink:

Next up, Golden Hat!

The Staff

11 Likes

Very deserved top 3 gents! @forgefire holy crap dude… that is an absolute Beauty!

4 Likes

Congratulations to the winners,

Thank you all for your great entries

1 Like

Congratulations on the worthy winners @forgefire (who’s work will be the next zine cover!) @Admiral and @Loidrial

I’ve awarded your badges

Also I accidentally pressed 10,000 points of army badge for you Eddy and then revoked - sorry haha

Anyone owed a veteran badge message me

4 Likes

For this victory I wanna thank you batman for the memes and Brian for being himself.
I’m so happy i’m gonna cry :cry:

6 Likes

Thank you all! Im glad i went back to work on it!
And such an awesome prize! :beer:

7 Likes

Congratulations to the winners, all the participants and of course to all of us for admiring all the cool pictures! :beer:

3 Likes

Congratulations to the winners!
Forgefire - amazing picture conveying the whole setting that hobgoblins live in. Made me want to paint hobbo wolfriders after seeing it…
Admiral- loved the extensive details in your sketch, really really good.
Loidrial- i dont know how you do this stuff, made me laugh, very good!
Congratulations to everyone one else that entered as well
Cheers

8 Likes

Lovely spirit and artworks, folks! There was a lot to laugh over, to admire and to be inspired by. The sheer variety of styles was great to see, and rewarding to watch closer!

@forgefire : Astounding artwork! I love it. Gold for sure.

@Loidrial : Madman! :beer:

@MichaelX : Eye-catching drawing in a difficult medium!

@Oxymandias : Great portrait, as always!

@denelian5 : Great stuff! Now that’s how top 3 looks like, unlike my quick stuff. :eye:

Also denelian, can you by any chance get it scanned (or re-photographed in a carefully straight angle), and give us permission to use it as an illustration for some Chaos Dwarf story? Due credit always given. :slight_smile:

@Jamros : Very fine sportgobs! Great stuff.

@Vapo : Impressive impression! Do you plan to add more shading to the characters? I think it could pop wonderfully if you do. At any rate, it’s a memorable piece as it stands. Well done!

There was lots of good stuff, both cool and fun. Great work everyone! And remember to never be afraid to enter.

As to my own medal, this is the second time in a row where I just doodled something quick in under 4 hours on the last day to enter, just to participate, and woke up to a bag of votes when there were far more meticulous entries I expected to place high. What the hell…! A surprise to be sure. Thank you everyone who voted for it. I am still in a state of surprise!

The list of stories in need of illustrations is as long as my arm, but boxes are being ticked off, in a Dwarven tempo. In this case, for Songs.

Cheers

5 Likes

Congrats everyone, super nice work.
Also to all the other contestants. Small shoutout to @Oxymandias, loved your painting!

4 Likes

Also, please expect next contest to be up some days after New Year’s. I may not find the stray hours to cobble it together as it looks in days ahead. Apologies in advance.

4 Likes

Great work everyone and congratulations to the winners! :hob02:

2 Likes

Congratulations to all the winners!

Thank you @Admiral for the kind words! Yeah… I decided to paint on an A3 sized paper… “that’s gonna make it real easy to photograph and not loose any detail” is what I thought… :rofl:

I’ll see if I can get my brother to scan it for me over Christmas, of course you can use it as you see fit!

2 Likes

Congrats to the winners.

1 Like

Congrats everyone! I had fun.

4 Likes

Congratulations to the worthy winners and well done to everyone who entered, an excellent standard as always.

3 Likes

Ok now I have more time for proper replies.
I want to congratulate to some fella in particular, wont spend more than a second on @forgefire because you are too good for this and we didnt stand a chance vs your majestic work

@KhamdrimSkyMaster Nico, man i loved the details on your work, it was so funny and comical, all the right stuff going on, the beard pulling, the angry fist, the hand behind the stand stealing some shit, all around, me and my gf really enjoyed your drawing!

@Oxymandias your drawing stood out so much for me due to the high contrasts and the focal point at the eye level close to the sun in the back, that was indeed a cool entry!

@denelian5 really cool composition here! bit lacking of contrast on the hobbos blending with the mountains, but then my gf made me notice that this is how camouflage works xD I only wished there could be something more in the barren behind

@Jamros almost everyone here knows i wet my pants everytime is see bloodbowl, your water colour skill (it’s water color, right?) and the way you focused on the negative white empty space made me fall for your drawing!

i had big trouble chosing only one of your entries! XD we truly gotta add the rule “if you are a patron, you can vote 4 entries” xD 3 it’s not enough! you damn skilled lot!

8 Likes

Well, two of my votes won…but ALL are damn worthy of winning.
Hobgoblins! Love 'em!
And damn Forgefire, I’ve always been a huge fan of your work, but this time you have outdone yourself. Your entry was hands down my favorite and not once did I doubt that you’d take gold.
Absolutely beautiful, Hashut loves you…and I have to ask, what medium do you use for painting?

3 Likes

Is there anything you guys can’t do? Exquisite entries as always, and in such a wide variety of styles. Great stuff!

2 Likes

ty @Admiral , I unfortunately didn’t get to finish my piece and handed it in at zero minute/second lol. I’ll eventually finish it. It already looks a lot different from what I submitted and I’ll definitely keeps ya posted.

2 Likes