Scribe's Contest XIV: The Bold and the Bastardly - Character Lore

“Arise now, ye anointed of Hashut, the call of long lost epochs speaks to us all”

The Brazen Broadcast Presents: The 14th Scribe’s competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

Scribes of the Dark Lands, your patience shall not go unrewarded.

The gold winner will receive the Horns of Hashut, courtesy of @chitzkoi

And the silver winner will carry home 2 printed bastards, don’t forget Oozhu Grand Duc of Hashoot, originally sculpted by @Hotstuff should be coming available soon alongside the existing slate of bastards

Whereas the bronze winner will win a choice of 2 banner flags modeled by @Hotstuff

While one lucky random participant will be a guest feature as a doomed man-at-arms in a future continuation of the famous Among the Wicked Dawi written by @chitzkoi

Subject Matter: The Bold and the Bastardly - Character Lore
The theme for this writing competition is Chaos Dwarf lords, heroes, and characters. This is an open format theme, meaning that almost any type of background text and fiction about Chaos Dwarfs, Hobgoblins, and related characters will be accepted, within the rules detailed below. You may find inspiration in our last two contests, Legendary Lords and Brazen Bastard Art. Note you do not necessarily need to write about your own entries, maybe you’ve been inspired to write a story about someone else’s creation, or something entirely new!

Your entry could consist of a novel-style story of an iconic battle that cemented your character’s legacy; or a description of a lord conveying battle tactics to his couriers and smunderlings; or a surviving bastard emerging from a bloody gladiatorial combat in the name of Hashut, Walhut, Hashoot, etc; a poet or bard’s recounting of Porco Dio pillaging Averland; a servile Hobgoblin’s bitter musings of his overlord; or even the proceedings of a conclave meeting told by a member, a supplicant, or a scribe. Maybe you’ve written some lore for members of the Brazen Bastards as a Warcry warband? Give us your vision of some legendary Chaos Dwarf (or Hobgoblin) characters!

Writing Rules
The word limit for each entry is 30-500 words in total. Inventive ways to write entries are encouraged. Your entry may be split into several parts (e.g. two first-person perspective stories, or one speech delivered by your daily despot, a timeline of events, a poem, a song for Carton of Cold Fatty’s next EP, etc).

All entries are to be written “in-universe”, meaning no lines about D6s or green stuff are allowed. See the General Rules .

You may of course write your story about Chaos Dwarf-equivalents in whatever setting you fancy. @Uther.the.unhinged has frequently displayed the multiversal potential of Chaos Dwarf culture in his lore supplements for the Brazen Bastards..

You are encouraged to ask @Reaver about whether your entry meets the requirements or not, should you be unsure.

Spellcheck
Please spellcheck your entry before submission. Even so, to help even the field for the non-native English speakers, The @GoldenHat may consult the holy language tree :deciduous_tree: in order to correct grammar and spelling mistakes within the limits of its grasp of the English language.

Inspiration Sources
Anything can be your inspiration, including exploits from your latest tabletop game. Also, see the Guidelines , and Chaos Dwarf Stories & Background Section . (You are not allowed to copy someone else’s work!)

Please read the full rules and guidelines that apply to the Scribe’s Contest competition before submitting your entry!

Deadline: 11:59 PM 11th of August 2023 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Submit your entry by PM to the @GoldenHat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have about 5 weeks to complete your entry.)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not to wait until the very last minute to submit their entries… As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter
Write something regarding Chaos Dwarf (or Hobgoblin) characters, invented by you, and send a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the entry. The moderator organizing the contest will then check the inbox after the deadline and verify to each entrant that their submission was received.

If you win

• Take your place in the upcoming Scribe’s Contest Hall of Fame (to be created), where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
  • Receive the Scribe’s Contest medal for your online persona:
  • Models in the prize pool!

Entries will count towards a participation medal, which is the simpler Scribe’s Contest equivalent of Artisan’s Contest and Golden Hat veteran medals.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM @Reaver or post them here so that all can benefit from the clarification.

Summary
Subject Matter: The Bold and the Bastardly - Character Lore
Deadline: 11:59 PM 11th of August 2023 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to aid Scribe’s (or any other) Contest by donating models or other materials as prizes for future competitions, feel free to contact @Reaver to sort out the details.

Now, carve your tablet and open your ale. Fosche your minis until the inspiration flows into your OC. We all know you’re just itching to spew homebrew to anyone who will read it. Now is your time. Dip your pen in the blood of Hashut, for he demands his majesty be chronicled!

The Staff

14 Likes

Awesome, I have no excuse not to take part here. I’ve never been good at writing so this will be good practice!

Also honored to have my work considered prize worthy. Moreover, I would like to extend choice of the flags to any chaos dwarf / hobgoblin related flag/banner. I’ll model the requested flags if I haven’t already.

Hope you all find your inspiration!

6 Likes

Yep, we’re doin this one. Already got my idea

3 Likes

HAH. THE SCRIBE.
BRIAN’D

Ciao :eggplant:

5 Likes

I sense this may be a theme for the next 5 contests

3 Likes

WHILE NO. I LIED.
I HAVE AN IDEA. I’LL WRITE.

SOMEONE SHOULD TEACH ME FIRST THO…

Muahhahahaha

4 Likes

Please note per the general rules NO art or model pictures are allowed.

Plain text entries via PM to Golden Hat are sufficient for entry. Any formatting you do within the PM using discourse’s capabilities will be preserved to the best of ye mighty Golden Hat’s ability. Worth noting an audio recording is technically an allowed format for entry as well.

6 Likes

oh frick yeah. this is my jam.

4 Likes

I’m tinkering on an entry today in between work and hobbying for my brother’s Eldar army. Gonna make it.

4 Likes

Plenty of time @Admiral
The great Golden Hat was slightly more lenient on time frame compared to older Scribe’s contests. :batg4:

4 Likes

I’m bloody blind. The 11th was in the month of August, when Octavian seized Egypt. Not the month of July, named in honour of Gaius Julius Caesar. :smiley:

Entry submitted.

@Jaberoo: Be more than welcome to join the bandwagon with a story or background piece about an original CD character of your own devising if you want. Up to 500 words. Run wild and chaotic.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Hello all,

Another item worth noting, it is possible to use discourse to create a table which may be useful for column style formatted entries all within the guidelines of submitting your entry.

Homebrew Spew .exe
Astratony Ironmanhand was a daemonsmith of great renown He invented mechanized armor that could cast fireball from its hands, feet, and chest In the End Times he teamed up with a hulking green nurglish brute that liked to do big smash

Maybe this is useful?

6 Likes

Submission in!

People reading my submission

Peepshow Mark Peepshow Heat GIF - Peepshow Mark Peepshow Heat Peep Show Mark Jeremy Heat GIFs|833x554.465625

People having read my submission

HERE YOU GO, MATE. GO AND SEE THE SECOND HALF. IT'S SHIT.

But most importantly, I kept it short and it gave me a good chance to think a bit more about the character’s villainism.

Good luck all!

3 Likes

Submitted!

4 Likes

Ok got the whole idea down, now I have to rephrase it and submit it
Mine would be probably very easy to spot from the bunch hauahaua

2 Likes

Yay, I finished my entry. This took way longer than I anticipated and I needed a little bit of help from my (well read) wife to embellish every single sentence to fit that fantasy stye of writing. Also no idea if the ideas fit properly within the old world lore, likely not… but whatevs. I had fun!

5 Likes

That’s the stuff. :+1:

2 Likes

Damn I have to remember to finish this. This shit can’t always and only live in my head

4 Likes

Almost done.

4 Likes

Well, I never actually written any sort of fanfiction in my life, but why not, I entered an submission.

7 Likes