Artisan's Contest XXXVI: Brazen Bastard Artwork Challenge

“You bastard!!”
Hark! The Brazen Bastards summon you, the Dark Lands’ finest artisans! While many have heard the murmurs, a small band of misfits and their misdeeds, we seek to transcend esoterica and spread chaos from the New World to the Eastern Steppes. Take up the call of the Bastards!

The Brazen Bastards Present: The 36th Artisan’s Contest on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest is sponsered by the bastards. The winners will get to choose any of the bastards sculpted by @Reaver so far.

Gold will get the full set of 5 printed miniatures.
Silver gets to choose 2 printed miniatures of his/her liking.
Both bronze and the random draw will get to choose 1 printed miniature of their liking.

Meet the bastards!
Karpok of the Blubberborne

Porco Dio

Oss Crook-Finger

Unzi Al-Ashrar

Zhiekward of Cath-Arin

Subject Matter: Brazen Bastard Artwork Challenge!

This time around we want you to draw, paint or otherwise create some kind of non-miniature artwork or concept sketch which in some way feature one or more members of the Brazen Bastards as you imagine them. The growing war-band is ripe for aesthetic diversity and welcomes new Bastards of any variety.

You could tackle this theme in myriad ways. Perhaps you have a fresh concept for a chaotic dwarf that doesn’t fit a traditional theme or army style, now is your chance to air that brilliance out for others to witness. Your dwarf could worship one of the other Chaos gods (despite their doubtless inferiority to Hashut and Walhut). Speaking of Walhut, need I say more? Take up the reigns of your Walrus chariot and draw a piece of Chaos Dwarf Renegade Culture Project history. Or if upside down tusks aren’t your thing, you could conceive of your own Chaos Dwarf outer god and its Bastard zealot, like an owl themed samurai dwarf of Hashoooot. Maybe you are a history enthusiast and feel like there are other cultures that could use a Chaos Dwarf interpretation, there are certainly plenty of historical threads
to peruse. Not to mention an abundance of concept art on this forum to take inspiration from and a whole archive filled with hidden gems like Admiral’s Mesoamerican Chaos Dwarfs. Alternatively, you could depict one or more of the existing bastards and their countless misdeeds. Porco Dio and his blood-feud with
Hamlet Schweindergott of Averland. The Onion Knight pillaging a halfling farmer’s turnip crop. Oss Crook-Finger breaking his finger trying to pull up his bone undertrousers after finishing squatting on his chaos toilet…

Specifics
Subject: Brazen Bastard Artwork Challenge!
The Due Date: 11:59 PM April 3rd, 2023 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Artisan’s Contests before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent either to the @GoldenHat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 6 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @MichaelX. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Submissions should include one picture file only. Your one picture file with art may contain any number of objects, figures and scenes. Pixel art and animated Gif art are allowed.

Upload your entry to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur or with this forum’s direct upload function. Next, send a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous contests).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Artisan’s Contest Gallery.
  • Receive the Artisan’s Contest medal for your online persona.
  • Win miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

16 Likes

Oh, and i forgot to mention this MIGHT become a two part competition where the entries of this ac are the subject of the next sculpting competition. The winners of that competition can get their models scanned and become part of the bastard project for all to see!

Well, who am i kidding, everyone can get their sculpts scanned to join the bastards.

5 Likes

this is the best part of the entire challange!! ahuahauauh count me in, i already have some old ideas i have to refine! good things i’m a professional procrastinator!

ALSO DAMN THOSE BASTARDS THEY LOOK SPECTACULAR IN 3D AS WELL

5 Likes

Looking forward to see what you all come up with (hoping i will benefit from your vision in the long run). Sadly i cant draw but ill submit my ‘joke’ entry early haha

Think ive earnt another beer :beer:, hoping you all come upwith far better (im sure you will!) Cheers

6 Likes

Oh, thank Hashut this is just a painting / drawing competition… I have been panicking for a split second there, uff, crisis averted. Great contest idea, I’ll see what I can do – not sure yet what medium I’m going to use but this is a welcome opportunity to experiment a bit.

3 Likes

Glad to have you aboard. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Rest assured we should be back for your blood, sweat, and spit or nose grease slathered green stuff creations in a future contest.

3 Likes

Will plan to enter… If I can come up with something. This will be contest 15 for me, so I think I must if possible.

4 Likes

I want to win this one so bad haha. I hope my gumption and the cut of my jib carries me to victory cause my skills of an artist are s is for sucks.

3 Likes

You can win with a funny stickman comic if its good enough!

3 Likes

I would like most for people to come out with regiments of renown a la 1980s. Would make michaelx sweat too ! (Incase some one sculpted them after) Haha

4 Likes

So, just for dumb people like me - Is the contest’s aim to create your own Bastard, or to create content involving one of those already established?

Also, is it just about drawing stuff, or are models a possibility? If so, do they need to be fully self sculpted?

2 Likes

In this case its drawings only, so sketches, art, gifs, pixelart, waterpaint, grafiti, anything 2d basically.

We hope to see a lot of new ideas BUT, anything bastards related counts. You can do new bastards, alternative versikns of existing ideas and just drawingsnof the bastards already sculpted.

6 Likes

For those looking for added inspiration. @Uther.the.unhinged is writing some nicely woven lore that offers up exciting opportunity to nest a character from any setting into the bunch of Bastards.

Perhaps this opens a door to a new character concept or illustrations of the scenes he describes.

Link here to the Table of Contents with all of Uther’s writing supplements

5 Likes

Found this alternate Porco Dio! Printables

2 Likes

Now that’s just hilarious and awesome haha

1 Like

Friendly bump! How are folks entries coming along!?

Not long left before the deadline! At the end of the month

2 Likes

im at a block, but imma try to get something worth submitting

2 Likes

I’m halfway there. Got distracted by way too many things as usual

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing it and everyone else’s!

Just pressed the submit button. Just a few days left folks!

1 Like

Sad to say i have got nothing to show. I look forward to witnessing your guys insane creations. This theme was a bit to broad for me and i can barely focus now that total warhammer is releasing its chaos dwar dlc which ive waited for since it ´total war 1.

3 Likes