Artisan's Contest XXXVII: Regiments of Renown

“Only the most distinguished companies will gain everlasting recognition by the Dark Father”

Antenor and the Brazen Broadcast Present: The 37th Artisan’s Contest on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by @Antenor ! The gold winner will get an unpainted set of three metal evil dwarves sculpted by Antenor and cast by Hagen Miniatures.

And the silver winner will carry home 2 printed bastards, we are hopeful that some of the new sculpts will be available by the time prize delivery rolls around but that is subject to the whims of the winds of magic and the government postal carrier sector snailmailicus pidgeon’tarii-automadrones.

Whereas the bronze winner will win a choice of 2 banner flags modeled by @Hotstuff

And finally one lucky random draw winner not in top three will receive 1 printed bastard of their choosing

Subject Matter: Regiments of Renown

This contest is open both to non-miniature art, and miniature entries, both painted and unpainted.

This time around we want you to draw, paint, sculpt or convert an artwork, sketch, miniature or diorama which in some way feature infantry or cavalry regiments of renown in service to the Chaos Dwarfs roster.

You could tackle this theme in myriad ways. For instance, you could convert your own spin on a traditional Chaos Dwarf unit, creating an elite squad to suit your army theme, replete with squid heraldry or steampunk greeble or chequerboards or eyeballs or… We all know this is standard operating procedure for all of you creative Daemonsmiths of CDO. You could create a scene depicting one of the classics like Oglah Khan’s Wolfboyz raiding an innocent trading caravan. Or perhaps you were inspired by Total War Warhammer 3’s take on Regiments of Renown such as the Granite Guard or the Blazing Beards of Bazherak! Maybe this is an excuse to make a unit of dynamically custom models for skirmish or warband style games like Warcry or Wherelards of Hairyron or Disney Princesses of Shade-cursed undermunda worldregionplacecity. Or a pet-having penal regiment of Chaos Squats ready to take on aliens or predators with their axe-guns.

The Brazen Bastard project has regiment of renown written all over it! Kitbash an Onion Dio or a Boney Porco with the interchangeable-ish parts. Add to the brazen project with art depicting current Bastards, new Bastards, or scenes from @Uther.the.unhinged 's unhinged lore. __ insert other shameless plug for the Brazen Bastards __ . Since unpainted greens are allowed in this contest, sculpting contributions are also fair game!

Or anything else entirely, as long as it involves loosely infantry or cavalry Chaotic Dwarf things or Hashut/Chaos-aligned regiments. Let your imagination run wild and be welcome to surprise us all with weird interpretations!

Specifics
Subject: Regiments of Renown
The Due Date: 11:59 PM November 10th, 2023 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Artisan’s Contests before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent to the @GoldenHat account no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 8 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @Reaver since the @GoldenHat account has limited monitoring. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter

• If art: Submissions should include one picture file only. Your one picture file with art may contain any number of objects, figures, and scenes. Pixel art and animated Gif art are allowed.

• If miniature: Submissions should include up to 4 pictures of your miniature creation.

• Note that you may submit both art and miniature pictures as a combined entry, should you wish to go the extra mile. Submissions should still include up to 4 pictures.

Upload and send your entry images with this forum’s direct upload function (preferred) in a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to). Any images uploaded to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur will need to be inserted in image form into the PM anyway (see below).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Artisan’s Contest Gallery.
  • Receive the Artisan’s Contest medal for your online persona.
  • Win miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Reaver and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

17 Likes

Also throwing this out there for anyone to use: don’t forget the classic RoR unit: the mighty throg and his Despoiling Hobgoblins of the Dark Lands.

4 Likes

Please note that extravagant basing, other scenery, dioramas, or other creations to supplement your regiment of renown are certainly permitted.

Artisan’s should feel free to do the arts an stuff in the Artisan’s Contest

4 Likes

As a long time voter, never-time entrant, i personally think painters should feel comfortable displaying their regiment out of formation to highlight all their individual work. I also think that ten men is a totally normal regiment size for much of warhammer history and wouldn’t hesitate to vote for a unit of 10, 12 or 16, or 3 renders, or 5 cav centaurs etc.

5 Likes

Maybe some inspiration here

4 Likes

Absolutely agree. And on that note there is no specific model count requirement (especially since non miniature entries are included in this contest).

For example: A totally valid entry format could be a bit of 2D art or concept art depicting the theme of the unit and a single sample model kitbashed/converted/sculpted (and optionally painted).

It’ll be up to voters to decide what grabs the eye.

5 Likes

I already have a vague idea, but I still have problems with the execution (conversion and colour scheme). :thinking:

2 Likes

Have you considered the blood paint scheme

• Basecoat blood for the blood god
  • Layer blood for the blood god
  • Highlight blood for the blood god
2 Likes

One niche meme coming up. Finally someone speaking my language.

3 Likes

I should totally make something. :melting_face:

9 Likes

Would be a triumphant return I’m sure Xander :slight_smile:

7 Likes

At least I have already thought of a name for the RoR! :beer:

6 Likes

Nice contest theme! I’ll make time to enter some doodle.

My recent Regiment of Renown drawing was a 1980s Chaos Dwarf one, for an Oldhammer art contest:

Summary

4 Likes

So the models are decoloured and the name of the ROR is there (see my post above). Now “only” paint them …

4 Likes

uuuuh, im in this time round! back for vengeance

I guess our regiments will be regiments of no particular renown as no text for names?

1 Like

The renownification of your regiment is in your hands. Don’t wastenado such a prime opportunityonsoon.

4 Likes

new bastards are now available for the silver and the random draw for this contest

Come and claim them!

5 Likes

The first test mini is currently being painted, I’m curious to see if the colour scheme looks as appropriate in reality as it does in my imagination.

4 Likes

11 days to go until the deadline, how is everyone getting on?

3 Likes