"In which we imagine EvilFuzzyDoom happy" [BATG 2024]

Introduction, December 2023

“The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”
– Albert Camus

I’ve been doing this for two years now. When I started out I had 1156 models in my backlog.

In 2022, I painted 243, sold or gave away 13 and added 386.
By the end of the year I had 1312 models in my backlog.

In 2023, I painted 232, sold or gave away 68 and added 201.
By the end of the year I had 1049 models in my backlog.

Easily my most productive two years ever, but somehow the pile isn’t shrinking.

And yet, I am enjoying myself.

This year, we continue rolling the boulder.

Links

Goals for 2024
Progress Log
Scorekeeping
Shame Golf

2024 Score

Current BATG Score: -28 :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

Goals for 2024

Last year was the Year of the Tank.

I painted 9 tanks and 3 monsters, which is much more than previous years. I’m gonna call that a win!

What I missed, though, was closing out existing projects.

I currently have the following collections:

• Astra Militarum (old Cadians in red helmets)
  • Astra Militarum (converted with gas masks)
  • Astra Militarum (retro paint scheme)
  • Astra Militarum (kitbashed from GSC Neophytes)
  • Astra Militarum (tank motor pool)
  • Chaos Dwarfs - blog here!
  • Gloomspite Gitz Troggoths
  • Gloomspite Gitz Moonclan grots
  • Ogor Mawtribes
  • Nighthaunt
  • Age of Sigmar Malign Sorcery
  • Cities of Sigmar (converted from Necromunda Cawdor)
  • Turnip28
  • A big heap of MDF terrain
  • The terrain from Kill Team Nachmund

And… possibly more?

That is definitely too many projects - even if we were to roll the Astra Militarum into a single project (which I’m not going to).

This year, I hope to close some of these collections off, either through completion or by getting rid of them. I would also like to prevent this list from growing, so I will try to keep a one-in-one-out approach going for projects, as well as models.

Also, one of the big patterns I’ve noticed in previous years is that I tend to buy up big early in the year and spend the whole year playing catch-up. I want to try and get ahead of the pile, this year, and keep the growth under control proactively.

Also also, I’m starting the year with a total backlog of 1049. I want to get that under 1000, so I’m going to aim for Silver and a score of -50 or better.

Also also also, I’m getting married this year so I’m going to try to exercise some financial restraint!

Let’s rock and roll! :paintbrush: :paintbrush: :paintbrush:

Projects started this year:

• Old World Chaos Warriors (Started January)

Projects finished this year:

1 Like

Paint & Purchase Updates

Links to each post will go here. Click through the links to see models

1 Like

Scorekeeping

This year, I’ll just be doing the pure BATG count, although I’ll track anything sold or given away, and take them into account in the final reckoning as a separate score.

• Any new models will be added when they arrive in my possession - so anything that’s in transit as of New Year’s Day will count as 2024 purchases when they arrive.
  • If I buy a model and sell it in the same year, it will be removed from the “Models added” count.

BATG Score

Per the official Battle Against the Grey thread, one model added to collection is +1, one model painted is -1. Low scores are good.

• :arrow_up: Models added: 48
  • :arrow_down: Models painted: 76

:arrow_right: Total BATG score: -28
Here is a link to the 2024 BATG spreadsheet

2 Likes

Shame Golf bonuses and penalties

In Dana Howl’s “Miniature Shame Golf” you get additional bonuses for completed units and for selling or giving away models, while you get penalties for buying new releases (within a month of release). I’ll be tracking those here, and tallying them at the end of the year. These bonuses & penalties are on top of normal paint/purchase scoring.

Bonuses

:arrow_down: -1 per model sold or given away :asterisk:
:arrow_down: -1 per completed unit of 5 or more models
:arrow_down: -5 per completed faction starter box
:arrow_down: -20 per completed 2-player starter box

New Release Penalties :eight_spoked_asterisk:

:arrow_up: +5 per box of 1-10 figures
:arrow_up: +20 per faction starter box (up to 30 figures)
:arrow_up: +50 per 2-player starter box (30+ figures)

:asterisk: Models bought and sold in the same year will get removed from the main count
:eight_spoked_asterisk: Models count as a “New Release” if purchased less than a calendar month after release

Updates of a Shameful Nature

Sales/Giveaways

Competion bonuses

Preorder penalties

2 Likes

Figure Case

I’ve been using the “Figure Case” app by Warganizer since late 2020. It’s an iPhone-only app (sorry, Android users!) that has a customisable workflow for tracking models’ status in detail, and allows you to track “effort” to accommodate larger or more-complex models.

I’ll update this at the end of the year to see what happened to my collection as a whole.

Starting position, 1 Jan 2024

Scores are: minis (effort)

• :red_square: Unassembled: 341 (493)
  • :orange_square: Assembled: 431 (727)
  • :yellow_square: In Progress: 277 (393)
  • :green_square: Finished: 818 (1122)

Total Backlog: 1049 (1613)

Initial Screenshot:

3 Likes

It’s time for my first painted minis of the year!

I’ve painted four Imperialis Militia grenadiers, who can do double duty as Imperial Guardsmen if required.

With a new sergeant, regular trooper and 2 plasma guns done, that closes off my second unit of these chappies.

I have a couple of things in the mail but this is a good starting point to get me moving for the year, I think!

Four off the pile.

BATG score: -4 :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

It’s a good thing I started when I did or I’d be slipping on my goals already.

Uh… so much for getting ahead on painting. Ah well, let’s try and be in the positive at the end of each month, instead.

That’s 3 Bullgryns and 10 Genestealer Neophytes in the boxes, as well as another Neophyte that I picked up from a bitz seller so I have one spare to make up as an officer.

14 onto the pile.

BATG Score: 10 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

2 Likes

2024 is already shaping up to be another classic EFD adventure.

:heavy_plus_sign::heavy_minus_sign::arrow_double_up::arrow_double_down::arrow_up_small::arrow_down_small::arrow_up::arrow_down::arrow_heading_up::arrow_heading_down::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_downwards_trend:

1 Like

Line go up :arrow_up:

Line go down :arrow_down:

Line go round and round and round :arrows_counterclockwise:

The last of my initial batch of these lads is painted, the newer eleven are all built but the weather is very hostile to spray cans and the garage is very hot so airbrush priming isn’t happening yet either.

I’ll probably have to paint something else while I wait for good conditions.

Five of the pile.

BATG Score: 5 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

This weekend I had some errands to run in the city, which brought me within range of a game store.

One to be a medic for my Heresy chaps, and another for… reasons.

Also, I’ve moved on one of the Corpse Carts I picked up for my abortive Cities of Sigmar project from 2022. A friend is collecting Vampire Counts for The Old World and needs it more than I do.

2 models onto the pile.

BATG Score: 7 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

Despite my protestations otherwise, I’ve fallen in the Old World hole.

It helps that my Chaos Dwarf efforts have meant I’ve got most of a 2000 point Chaos Warrior army ready to go:

With only a few additions (mainly characters) I can put together a fairly elite army quite quickly!

Here’s what’s built already:

I spent my hobby time this weekend building the trolls, tidying the Marauders and undercoating things, then cranked out three test models (2 trolls and 1 marauder). The non-contrast marauder is a test model from circa 2010 when I was thinking about building a Chaos Warrior army but didn’t go ahead with it.

The trolls are all undercoated and ready for a quick paint job, while 15 Marauders are ready but 8 needed some more modelling before they could be ready.

The Chaos Warriors are waiting on an order of 30mm square bases, and will be led by the Lord of Plagues I got on Saturday. I’ve also got 5 knights and a mounted sorcerer on order, which will get properly based up when they arrive.

Once that lot is all taken care of - and if I still have the motivation - I’ll pick up a Lord on Manticore to lead them all. That will be only seven extra models once they come, which I think it pretty reasonable for a project which will hopefully put me well ahead on the backlog!

3 off the pile, and lots more ready to move!

BATG Score: 4 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

4 Likes

A package I was expecting arrived today:

10 Genestealer Cultists, the last recruits for my heresy militia for now - although I’m planning to pick up a Clamavus at some point to play as a vox caster for them.

10 onto the pile - but I have a big WIP pile that should have me in the clear if I get enough painting time this week…

BATG Score: 14 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

2 Likes

A terrible photo, but I painted 7 Chaos Marauders today:

Prep work makes the job go faster! Having a big pile of pre-zenithal’d models ready to go is incredibly convenient. If all holds up I should be in the negatives pretty quickly. I have another 9 Marauders and 4 trolls prepped and ready before I have to hope for decent priming weather again. I’m not sure when that will be.

7 off the pile.

BATG Score: 7 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

More bad photography, but it’s only 2 models:

A marauder and a troll done this afternoon

I put together some Chaos Warriors to see if I had some good heads for them - since their original helmets are now doing duty in my Chaos Dwarfs bitz box, some Necromunda Cawdor heads are doing the job.

Some Heresy grenadiers also got basecoats and the Daemon Prince got based. Productive, but only 2 off the pile.

BATG Score: 5 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

5 Likes

Dang… you’re hitting this HARD already!! Wow. I was all impressed thinking I was going to get into the negative with my Golden Hat painting… then I realized most of what I’m painting is stuff I’ve made for the contest, which is going to undo some of my efforts! :persevere:

~N

4 Likes

It helps a lot that my traditional January burst of hobby energy is being directed at a pile of models that I happened to have in my cupboard!

What I’m trying to do with this project is find time to prep entire units with a pre-shade before tackling them. That means I can grab a handful off the shelf and block in the colours whenever I have some free time. Being able to paint in shorter sessions should allow me to paint more in total over the next few months.

I’ve now got pre-shading done for the full 25-man Marauder unit and 3 more trolls, as well as 10 of my heresy grenadiers.

This weekend I’ve also undercoated a full unit of Chaos Warriors and a Daemon Prince, which will just get a drybrush so I can paint them in line with the Nurgle stuff I painted late last year.

As far as I can tell they are a terrible choice ruleswise, but this is a “what I had in the cupboard” army after all.

In terms of actual pile updates, I’ve completed 4 more Chaos Marauders:

The keen-eyed among you will notice that I’ve switched to a different blue (Terradon Turquoise rather than Frostheart) so that the colour scheme can be a bit more god-neutral.

This update will put me very close to “zero every month” so long as the six models I have in the post don’t arrive in the next couple of days. If they do I guess I’ll just have to paint a bit more!

4 off the pile.

BATG Score: 1 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

5 Likes

Five of the models I had in the post arrived today:

As a surprise twist, instead of getting 5 of the older model chaos knights, I got 4 old and one new!

I’ve contacted the seller, who says there must have been a mistake in packing, so maybe I’ll arrange a swap, maybe not. So I have Chaos Knights, but am not necessarily in a position to start working on them immediately,

That’s okay though, because I’m still chomping through the Chaos Marauders. Today I finished another six:

It’s six because that’s how many Citadel painting handles I have and I’m just in a place where I want to use them rather than my rattly makeshift ones full of rocks!

Five on, six off the pile - which means I’m on net zero for January because it’s January 31st here!

Woooooohhhhhh!

Hopefully I can keep going like this and stick to at least zero every month!

BATG Score: 0 :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Oh well, never mind.

The mounted sorcerer arrived today. I’m back above zero for the start of February.

I’ve done no painting yet, but did some assembly work and laid out my 2000 point list:

I’m confident that it’s dreadful, but that’s not the point! The point is to get it done.

1 on the pile.

BATG Score: 1 :negative_squared_cross_mark:

3 Likes

So, uh… I couldn’t focus properly at work today.

Painted this dude. Nothing special, but done is done.

1 off the pile, and I’m back on zero!

BATG Score: 0 :white_check_mark:

3 Likes